• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newest article on the Suh extension talks.....

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree wholeheartedly though -- if Suh and Fairley walk -- Mayhew should be walking out the door right along with them.

The thing is, he already basically said that Fairley is a bust by not taking his 5th year. Basically put the Lions in a situation where it is .... Give him an open checkbook or let your franchise player walk situation.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three 1st round DTs!?! C'mon dudes,..... even Maybew thinks/thought that's stupid. (Like two stupider than two first round TEs.) We'd have to give Donald a second deal eventually. And then just play this game again.

I don't buy into that kind of simplistic thinking. You draft the best player at positions of need (other than kickers, and QB if you have a stud). If you need DTs because both sucked then you will do it 2 years in a row or even 3. Frankly I wouldn't because I don't value the position enough, but that's not how many NFL teams feel.

Donald would be locked in for 4 years. Yes he will go after that if he wants what Suh is asking for. That will happen with any superstars you draft so I am not sure what your point is.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is already nothing short of unbelievable that Mayhew has a job RIGHT NOW, let alone a job based on what happens after this season.

I do agree wholeheartedly though -- if Suh and Fairley walk -- Mayhew should be walking out the door right along with them. Detroit needs to go and get someone who has built a proven winner in the past and knows what it takes to get it done.

Such as? That sounds easy enough, but those guys tend to stay employed, so just going out and grabbing a proven GM isn't all that easy.

That's akin to saying we need to add a Super Bowl winning QB, a DE with a few double-digit sack seasons on his resume, and a proven winner at head coach this offseason...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have had Millen and Mayhew so fucking long I have forgotten what it's like to have a GM that is respected around the league.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute -- Aren't I supposed to be the guy making this post?:laugh3:

You arent the only guy sick of them wasting picks and money on offensive skill positions. I loved the golden tate signing as I think hes only getting better and will complement CJ well, but not a fan of ebron, and any RB or WR they trade up to draft. I like to imagine how good this team would be if they legitimately addressed their back 7 in the past few years. Van noy is awesome but beyond that it was ignored again. Now suh is probably going to walk and they can start rebuilding again.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to be of the opinion that suh is going to walk regardless. Maybe, just maybe the lions are lowballing him because they got themselves into a financial disaster and cant pay the man what he deserves. Look at what happened with hanson, the lions werent able to pay him a respectful amount and they paid for it last year. This is the inept lions front office we are talking about. Lets not be so quick to assume suh wants to walk.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such as? That sounds easy enough, but those guys tend to stay employed, so just going out and grabbing a proven GM isn't all that easy.

That's akin to saying we need to add a Super Bowl winning QB, a DE with a few double-digit sack seasons on his resume, and a proven winner at head coach this offseason...

I'm not sure how everything works for the GM position? Are they under contract like the coaches and players, where teams cannot talk to them? I don't follow the ins and outs for GM's, so I can't really offer much insight on to what the Lions need to do to attain a proven GM.

I just know -- Detroit was run by arguably one of the worst GM's of any professional sport for about a decade. When they finally canned him -- Instead of going out and getting a GM with any type of winning pedigree, we hired a guy who worked along side Millen.

As I said -- I have no idea how the hiring and firing goes in the front office for teams in the NFL. It just seems, if you are going to hire someone without any experience as a GM -- you would do so from an organization where the guy worked along side GM's with a proven track record and not a guy who learned the ropes from Matt Frickin' Millen.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, just maybe the lions are lowballing him because they got themselves into a financial disaster and cant pay the man what he deserves.

I don't think the Lions are low balling him. I think Suh is going to be asking for an absurd amount of money. If Suh would take market value for his position. He'd be re-signed already, IMO.

I truly hope the Lions do not give in to Suh. I love him as a player, but he isn't worth more than what he was paid for his rookie deal, which makes him the highest paid DT in the NFL still. Paying Suh 20%+ more than the next highest paid DT would be an absolute disaster.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly hope the Lions do not give in to Suh. I love him as a player, but he isn't worth more than what he was paid for his rookie deal, which makes him the highest paid DT in the NFL still. Paying Suh 20%+ more than the next highest paid DT would be an absolute disaster.

Not sure if paying a superstar more money would be a disaster. Where teams get hurt is when they sign the big free agent deal like Tampa Bay did with Eric Wright or drafting a bust when the rookie cap was off. Paying a lot of money to a superstar who sells jerseys and tickets is never a disaster. Paying a lot of money for zero or little production on the other hand...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Lions are low balling him. I think Suh is going to be asking for an absurd amount of money. If Suh would take market value for his position. He'd be re-signed already, IMO.

I honestly believe he wants to go somewhere the fans will love him and not expect him to live up to the expectations of being a leader and highly paid player.

I am guessing he will sign a market rate contract with the Shangri-La Unicorns .They won't get upset he stomps guys and gets suspended or has issues away from the field that people question him about the Unicorn fans just love!

I am sure the New Age Snipes will make a strong offer but he is Unicorn bound!

My god Suh go play a year in New York or Philly. Lion fans will look like groupies.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if paying a superstar more money would be a disaster. Where teams get hurt is when they sign the big free agent deal like Tampa Bay did with Eric Wright or drafting a bust when the rookie cap was off. Paying a lot of money to a superstar who sells jerseys and tickets is never a disaster. Paying a lot of money for zero or little production on the other hand...

Not a disaster from a production stand point. A disaster from a salary cap stand point.

And speaking of production -- If Detroit gives Suh a monster contract -- the numbers he puts up needs to start looking like his rookie year.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Suh would take market value for his position. He'd be re-signed already, IMO.
I know it's ur opinion, so I'm not here to say its wrong. My opinion is that maybe he just doesn't wanna play here. Maybe he doesn't see the Lions getting any better any sooner(not saying that's correct either). But the dude has gotten paid, will get another monstrous contract, along with endorsements out the ass. I think he's fine financially. My guess is he wants to play for someone else, fuck all the "I wanna stay in Detroit" talk. It's all smoke up our asses.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that maybe he just doesn't wanna play here.

I think you are spot on. If he wanted to stay in Detroit -- I think he would have signed an extension already, so the team would have had more cap space during the FA period.

IMO -- he will leave for either a team on the west coast, that is closer to his hometown or one of the major market teams. The part that I think will really hurt -- I wouldn't be surprised to see him take less money than the Lions offer him to play for another team.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised to see him take less money than the Lions offer him to play for another team.
I don't think he will. He's still looking to get paid heavily, rich as he is now or not.

Plus, I doubt we ever know. Normally amounts don't come out for what other teams were willing to offer.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9kgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg
47m[/ame] Just got this text from Rams' practice: "Aaron Donald is unreal."

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he will. He's still looking to get paid heavily, rich as he is now or not.

Plus, I doubt we ever know. Normally amounts don't come out for what other teams were willing to offer.

I think if we see him sign a contract that looks identical to his rookie deal with another team -- he took less money.

As far as doubting if we ever hear the amounts. I think we will most definitely hear what Detroit offered him if he walks, as the organization is going to want the fans to know they did everything they could to get him to sign. I bet it will end up just like the Scherzer offer and the front office will leak the info and then pass blame on some imaginary person.:suds:

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are they saying he is just a opinion?

I have no idea. Dude is looking beastly is all they are saying. I would of preferred them to take Donald if they weren't going to resign Suh.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree- Suh wants to go play in a big market to keep working on his brand. He's a talented player who does seem to genuinely love playing the game, but he loves Suh more, and that's what it's all about right now for him...