• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newest article on the Suh extension talks.....

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a talented player who does seem to genuinely love playing the game, but he loves Suh more

Hell hath frozen over -- I agree 100%, especially with the part of the comment I put in bold.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy into that kind of simplistic thinking. You draft the best player at positions of need (other than kickers, and QB if you have a stud). If you need DTs because both sucked then you will do it 2 years in a row or even 3. Frankly I wouldn't because I don't value the position enough, but that's not how many NFL teams feel.

Donald would be locked in for 4 years. Yes he will go after that if he wants what Suh is asking for. That will happen with any superstars you draft so I am not sure what your point is.

Well,.... we don't need a DT. Quarterbacks don't even wait, watch and learn in this league anymore. Has any team ever drafted three DTs in five years? If they have(which I doubt) were all three on the roster at the same time?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We clearly do need a DT though, as both of ours are set to be free agents. We don't need one this year, as both of ours are still under contract, but is it really the best practice to know both of your starting DTs will be leaving in the offseason and then decide to do nothing about it in the draft?

Even if somehow both don't leave (which I promise they both will if they hit free agency) drafting Donald would have been the best leverage we could have gained on Suh. Knowing we have a fall-back option on the roster would at least somewhat weaken the stranglehold he has in negotiations...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the fuck can we clearly NEED a DT!?! We have possibly the best combo of starters in the NFL, remember? (Ill dig out old threads if I have to. Record breaking run defense, elite DTs, its all there. And Fairley had the best season if his uninspired career.)Somehow this board has went from figuratively sucking them both off as a pair, to believing they both are as good as gone. I don't know if there was some memo I missed, but this doesn't add up.

If they are gone, it's on account of this franchise being committed to offense rather than committing to defense. Like every franchise that actually wins. Im sure players can see it better than I can. It's still pretty clear to me though.

You have no idea if either will re-sign here,(promise? C'mon TPaul, you cant promise any outcome in FA. Nobody can.) neither do I. But three 1st round DT's(all in the top half of the first at that) is just plain STOOOPID. So in a way, Im surprised Mayhew didn't do it. But he didn't, which is good.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the fuck can we clearly NEED a DT!?! We have possibly the best combo of starters in the NFL, remember? (Ill dig out old threads if I have to. Record breaking run defense, elite DTs, its all there. And Fairley had the best season if his uninspired career.)Somehow this board has went from figuratively sucking them both off as a pair, to believing they both are as good as gone. I don't know if there was some memo I missed, but this doesn't add up.

If they are gone, it's on account of this franchise being committed to offense rather than committing to defense. Like every franchise that actually wins. Im sure players can see it better than I can. It's still pretty clear to me though.

You have no idea if either will re-sign here,(promise? C'mon TPaul, you cant promise any outcome in FA. Nobody can.) neither do I. But three 1st round DT's(all in the top half of the first at that) is just plain STOOOPID. So in a way, Im surprised Mayhew didn't do it. But he didn't, which is good.

I don't know what there is to miss, to be honest? In the course of this offseason Mayhew declined Fairley's option, thus making him a free agent to be, and it's also become apparent that Suh won't be signing an extension, thus making him a free agent after this season.

If we're not willing to pay Suh what he's seeking, then someone else will in free agency. He'll be the top free agent in that class. Maybe Fairly re-signs, but I highly doubt it. If we were willing to sign him long-term then we would have picked up his option next season.

Resigning your players once they hit the open market is tough if they're good because some crappy team always has more cap $$ and uses it to bring in a star player to appease the fanbase.

The writing is pretty much on the wall at this point- if we don't re-sign Suh and he and Fairley hit unrestricted free agency next March then they will be former Lions. The events leading up to that point will have told us that we're unwilling to pay what the market rate will end up being for either player, in Suh's case to to greed on his part, and in Fairley's case due to general apathy towards his career, so it really just is what it is now.

From a talent standpoint both are great players, but neither are without their flaws. Fairley is immensely talented, but lazy as fuck. Suh dominates on the field, but is a socially awkward, entitled dick. Those things are both secondary to what they can do on the field, though, and I'd happily live with all that crap if we could figure out a way to get then signed without raping the cap too badly. We really need them on the field.

My only singular hope for getting either back is that they love playing in the new defense and want to be part of something special, but we'd need a helluva season for that to happen. I have more Fairley excelling in the scheme and returning than I do with Suh. I think he fancies himself the next Lebron and plans on getting some bigger exposure out of this whole thing.

Who knows, maybe I'm dead-wrong? I hope so, because our defense needs those two anchoring the middle if we're going to take the next step as a team...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So lets say they leave, you think we'd then be worse off because we didn't spend a first on a DT who wouldn't have started a single game? There will be God knows how many DTs in the 2015 draft and a years worth of FA DTs. I don't need a guy to watch two guys the Lions don't feel like paying.

Like I mentioned several posts ago, teams don't even wait on QBs to develop. There's no way anyone could have justified another first round DT. Not when the only defensive player Mayhew has drafted and resigned is Levy. If a player fails, Mayhew drafted a bust. If he succeeds, Mayhew doesn't offer them a contract. Suh/Fairley leaving would be just another example.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not drafting Donald because he wouldn't start this season seems pretty short sighted to me.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering if Suh not signing now means we get to use Fairly as bait for next year to talk down Suhs number. He can make almost 20 mil a year in FA or he can stay here for less and leave some money left over to sign Fairly as well.

I still would have picked up Fairly's option though. Just seems foolish to me not to.

Also heard Caldwell say that he thinks a deal is close. Not sure what he info he has. Probably better than mine though as I just do not think it will get done.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not drafting Donald because he wouldn't start this season seems pretty short sighted to me.

Seriously?

Who has EVER had three first round DTs in five years? Who? Suh and Fairley are still on the team. Camp opened what, today?

What would go down if your dream scenario (thats what drafting Donald was)had happened and the Suh and Fairley both decide to sign/are offered contracts they agree to? There was no need to draft another DTackle in the first round. They took Reid, he's smart and can fill space on the line, if he fills a spot on the roster.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think expecting both guys to stay is nothing but a pipe dream. Who cares about drafting 3 first round DTs? Especially when one or two of those picks wont be on the team next year?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So lets say they leave, you think we'd then be worse off because we didn't spend a first on a DT who wouldn't have started a single game? There will be God knows how many DTs in the 2015 draft and a years worth of FA DTs. I don't need a guy to watch two guys the Lions don't feel like paying.

Like I mentioned several posts ago, teams don't even wait on QBs to develop. There's no way anyone could have justified another first round DT. Not when the only defensive player Mayhew has drafted and resigned is Levy. If a player fails, Mayhew drafted a bust. If he succeeds, Mayhew doesn't offer them a contract. Suh/Fairley leaving would be just another example.

I get the whole we can draft or buy one in free agency next year thing, but how long did it take Gerald Mccoy to become what he is? 3 years before he was anybody. Drafting Aaron Donald at least gives the team some insurance and leverage in any talks. Maybe they think this Caraun Reid guy is the next Sammie Hill?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the Reid pick, but I need to see more of him before knowing if he will be more than a backup.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can make almost 20 mil a year in FA or he can stay here for less and leave some money left over to sign Fairly as well.

20 million a year? To make that kind of money -- Suh better changes position to QB.:suds:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way Mayhew does one dumb move after another...

I see Suh walking and then over paying Fairley to stay after not exercising the 5th yr. option to try and cover his ass. It will be enough to fool the Ford fam and save his for yet another screwed up move.

Tag Fairley to pay average of top DL guys and pay him about 10 million instead of 5.5??? to be a fat lazy bastard in 2015

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...........Don't get too attached to Suh. "The Lions" have tabled talks of a contract extension until after the season for Suh.

I put "the Lions" in quotes, as Tom Lewand is saying the team ended talks, which is absolutely humorous. It'd make no sense to cut off negotiations for the Lions as they are the only team who can negotiate with him now.

Maybe the Lions would rather have to bid against the rest of the NFL for his services.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already moved on.....Suh will have a good year this year because it's a contract year....The Lions need to Play that guy every snap and wear his ass out and get the most out of him, because he's gone after this year. He doesn't want to play here, I bet he would take a pay cut to go elsewhere.

I would prefer to talk about How much money that free's up and what can we do with it? Trust me Lewland and Mayhew have known this for a long time, so what are they doing behind the curtains knowing how money will be on hand.

Probably planning to spend like Donald Trump in the Offseason with our new found wealth.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still have the option to tag him?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still have the option to tag him?

For only 27 million dollars, Suh could play 2015 with the franchise tag.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would prefer to talk about How much money that free's up and what can we do with it?

wishlist.gif