• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New playoff format

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody know if there is a cutoff for the drivers with a win making the playoffs?

Kurt Busch is right now 26th in points, but he has a win. How far would he have to fall down the points list before that win doesn't matter anymore?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anybody know if there is a cutoff for the drivers with a win making the playoffs?

Kurt Busch is right now 26th in points, but he has a win. How far would he have to fall down the points list before that win doesn't matter anymore?

you have to be in the top 30 in points with a win. You also have to try to compete in every race during the season. (you cant go on vacation after winning another words) Denny's race he missed is an excused absence so to speak from nascar. He wasnt cleared to race so he is still eligible, even though he missed a race. There is only somewhere around 27 or 28 fully funded or majority well funded teams racing. It will be virtually impossible for a winner not to make the top 30 in points.

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is so ridiculous so you can be 29th in points with 1 win and you make the chase over the guy 15th in standings who is consistently running well?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is so ridiculous so you can be 29th in points with 1 win and you make the chase over the guy 15th in standings who is consistently running well?

yes Brian France is a dumbass motherfucker piece of shit, mentally challenged lowlife scum sucking cock sucker that knows nothing about racing, & cant see beyond his ego.

(in other words doesn't know what he is doing)

which is why I just keep track of my own points system. Fuck that guy!

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes Brian France is a dumbass motherfucker piece of shit, mentally challenged lowlife scum sucking cock sucker that knows nothing about racing, & cant see beyond his ego.

Couldn't have said it better myself :suds:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what point system do you use?

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what point system do you use?

I took the basis of an old F-1 system (they are different now) & merged in the concept for Nascar & its size of fields. it rewards Wins & quality finishes & doesn't destroy you if you have a DNF. Where all the Nascar points systems it takes atleast 3 real good finishes to counter one bad finish.
Only the top 20 scores points. been keeping track of this system since 2009. When JJ isn't making mince meat out of any points system it is/has been the closest of points systems. The irony is I did it to prove how dumb the idea of an f-1 system couldn't work when someone brought up the F-1 points system because they were mad Kyle Busch wasn't gonna make the chase with multiple wins. (only top ten scored points) Once I figured out how to make it work for Nascar I ran the #'s for the whole season & ended up really liking it. Guess I proved myself wrong, trying to prove someone else wrong LOL
Where in the Nascar system JJ pretty much led the whole time (in the 2nd half of that season) JJ, Gordon & Stewart all traded off the lead in points during the season. So to me it is way better than what Nascar had & has now. During the offseason I saw a article about different ideas of points systems (was like 8 of them) & checked out the Indy car points system. I like that system as well, so out of curiousity, this season I am keeping track using my points system & the Indy car point system, which got me to thinking whaat if I merged some of my ideas with the Indy system creating a 3rd point system LOL
So now I find myself keeping track of three points systems this year. They usually are close to Nascars with a few spots different but this year they have a lot of differences.

Last edited by a moderator:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took the basis of an old F-1 system (they are different now) & merged in the concept for Nascar & its size of fields. it rewards Wins & quality finishes & doesn't destroy you if you have a DNF. Where all the Nascar points systems it takes atleast 3 real good finishes to counter one bad finish.
Only the top 20 scores points. been keeping track of this system since 2009. When JJ isn't making mince meat out of any points system it is/has been the closest of points systems. The irony is I did it to prove how dumb the idea of an f-1 system couldn't work when someone brought up the F-1 points system because they were mad Kyle Busch wasn't gonna make the chase with multiple wins. (only top ten scored points) Once I figured out how to make it work for Nascar I ran the #'s for the whole season & ended up really liking it. Guess I proved myself wrong, trying to prove someone else wrong LOL
Where in the Nascar system JJ pretty much led the whole time (in the 2nd half of that season) JJ, Gordon & Stewart all traded off the lead in points during the season. So to me it is way better than what Nascar had & has now. During the offseason I saw a article about different ideas of points systems (was like 8 of them) & checked out the Indy car points system. I like that system as well, so out of curiousity, this season I am keeping track using my points system & the Indy car point system, which got me to thinking whaat if I merged some of my ideas with the Indy system creating a 3rd point system LOL
So now I find myself keeping track of three points systems this year. They usually are close to Nascars with a few spots different but this year they have a lot of differences.

Let me know every now and again how it looks. I am a bit of a numbers nerd.

I have used a N! factor system for around 20 years now. I found a site that has all the results of the old races so I went back and did every season Nascar has run. A lot of them are different then Nascars points for that time.

N! is the difference goes up by 1 each spot

1 point for a start
3 points for the pole
946 for a win
903 for second
861 for third
820 for fourth
all the way down to 7 points for 41st or worse.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me know every now and again how it looks. I am a bit of a numbers nerd.

I have used a N! factor system for around 20 years now. I found a site that has all the results of the old races so I went back and did every season Nascar has run. A lot of them are different then Nascars points for that time.

N! is the difference goes up by 1 each spot

1 point for a start
3 points for the pole
946 for a win
903 for second
861 for third
820 for fourth
all the way down to 7 points for 41st or worse.
think in that article I read a math guy did something similar to yours. but the points were crazy high. Basically 1 for 43rd 2 for 42nd 4 for 41st 7 for 40th 11 for 39th & each spot went up by a difference of one point. problem with that system to me is bad finishes are way worse than good finishes are good.

Nascar system had my driver Ryan newman 10th in points. He hasn't had real good finishes but no bad finishes. In my points system he was 22nd. meanwhile Harvick he has won but a couple DNFs, was in the late 20's in the Nascar system, but in the mid teens in mine.

Don't think we are suppose to put other message board links on here which would be easiest for me since I keep a weekly tally of all three scoring systems. but maybe when I have time I might transfer them over to here, depending how this puts things in the posting area.
The two boards I put this on does different things in the posting area so I have to do different things on each to get the rows to line up. Can be a pain at times, but if you are interested I can start a thread here with the different systems. Kinda interesting looking at them side by side (or under each other actually LOL) as the season goes on.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think in that article I read a math guy did something similar to yours. but the points were crazy high. Basically 1 for 43rd 2 for 42nd 4 for 41st 7 for 40th 11 for 39th & each spot went up by a difference of one point. problem with that system to me is bad finishes are way worse than good finishes are good.

Nascar system had my driver Ryan newman 10th in points. He hasn't had real good finishes but no bad finishes. In my points system he was 22nd. meanwhile Harvick he has won but a couple DNFs, was in the late 20's in the Nascar system, but in the mid teens in mine.

Don't think we are suppose to put other message board links on here which would be easiest for me since I keep a weekly tally of all three scoring systems. but maybe when I have time I might transfer them over to here, depending how this puts things in the posting area.
The two boards I put this on does different things in the posting area so I have to do different things on each to get the rows to line up. Can be a pain at times, but if you are interested I can start a thread here with the different systems. Kinda interesting looking at them side by side (or under each other actually LOL) as the season goes on.

The first one you said is identical to mine. The N! factor is taught in Prob/Stat. So we most likely both got the idea from the same place. The scores do get high I had Johnson winning last year with 22832 and Harvick second with 21700.

I have Newman in 12th and Harvick in 19th. I do agree it is hard to make up a bad run, but it can be done....Hamlin with a missed race is in 13th in mine.

The rows are not going to line up on here