• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New guy

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
deep9er and threelittlebirds,

Young did win a Super Bowl and 94 was a great season, for that reason and others and I do thank him for that. There are lots of quarterbacks not in the HOF who have won Super Bowls. Young's body of work is IMO not really enough to qualify, and if you may recall, that was the general consensus among the prognosticators prior to his getting in, on the first ballot nonetheless.

Meanwhile, someone who absolutely deserves to be there, Roger Craig, flounders in maybesomedayland. Young did say that he agreed Craig should be considered, so that was nice.

Did I say I never instigate anything?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
deep9er and threelittlebirds,

Young did win a Super Bowl and 94 was a great season, for that reason and others and I do thank him for that. There are lots of quarterbacks not in the HOF who have won Super Bowls. Young's body of work is IMO not really enough to qualify, and if you may recall, that was the general consensus among the prognosticators prior to his getting in, on the first ballot nonetheless.

Meanwhile, someone who absolutely deserves to be there, Roger Craig, flounders in maybesomedayland. Young did say that he agreed Craig should be considered, so that was nice.

Did I say I never instigate anything?

your opinion is your opinion, and not trying to change it by writing a few posts.

ok, would've been nice if he played longer cause his 'body of work' would've grown. he was also 'hard luck' in the sense Montana was already there, else he'd have started earlier.

anyways, if Namath can get in with his "body of work", Young easily qualifies. no doubt some nominees have small questions, but the fact he got in on first ballot tells us those questions were very small.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
> if Namath can get in with his "body of work", Young easily qualifies

You're right. I had not thought of that (Namath). Namath is a perfect example of the way Young got in. Being famous early is a terrific jump start on a HOF career. All you have to do is not yack it apparently.

Anyway, enough about poor Steve. He was a demigod compared to our first ever, number one overall choice, in 2005. I won't mention names.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WTG...

First thread and you come in hating on Steve Young...

I hope this isn't an indication of things to come...

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said hate? You. Get a life.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"hating on" is modern figure of speech...

"get a life" not so modern...

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Second-Highest Passer Rating, Career - 96.8[5]
Highest Passer Rating, Career, Retired Players - 96.8[5]
Most Rushing Touchdowns by a QB, Career - 43[6]
Most Passing Titles, Career - 6 (tied w/Sammy Baugh)[5]
Most Consecutive Passing Titles - 4 (1991–94)[5]
Most Seasons With a Passer Rating Over 100, Career - 6 (1991–94, 1997–98)[7]
One of only 4 QB's to lead the league in touchdown passes 4 times (tied w/Johnny Unitas, Brett Favre, and Len Dawson)[5]
Most Passes Attempted, Playoff Game - 65 vs. Green Bay, 1995[8]
Most TD Passes, Playoff Game - 6 (tied w/Daryle Lamonica & Tom Brady)[8]
Most TD Passes in one Super Bowl - 6[9]
Most Rushing Yards by a QB, Postseason Career - 594[10]
Most Rushing Touchdowns by a QB, Postseason Career - 8[10]
Second most career passing yards amongst left-handed QB's (behind Boomer Esiason).
First Super Bowl MVP to be the leading QB and leading rusher in a Super Bowl. (Rushed for 49 yards)

HOF'er, Super Bowl Champion...

But really, he played with all heart. Young left everything on the feild every game. I always thought it was funny how Young was so scrutinized simply because he followed the great Joe Montana. All things consider, Young gave much more than any fan could have ever expected or in some cases even deserved...

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol this thread feels like the 1st day of Jr. High and everyone trying to be king of the hill

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Can't help it. I never was a Young fan. If Seifert had kept Joe we would already have had our 5th and 6th Super Bowls. Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. Actually I think we might have won in '91 if they'd gotten Bono in there earlier. Young really stunk it up that year.

I have to disagree with you here. Montana was my favorite but I don't think we would have won two more with him. He missed the 1991 season to injury. We lost to Dallas in 1992 and 1993 before the winning the Super Bowl. The reason we lost to Dallas those two years was because Dallas was a better team than us on both sides of the ball. They beat us on the line of scrimmage and we had holes in our defense. We fixed our holes during the 1994 season and won the Super Bowl with better play from Young.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AC: Good post. I don't feel the same, but still.

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good post. My figuring was Joe would have won with the 49ers in '94 - his last year - and he also might have in '93.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
AC: Good post. I don't feel the same, but still.

What do you take issue with in his post? The facts/stats that he posted, or the idea that Young continuously gave his all?

I also just did a quick comparison between Young and Aikman (who you said Young is distantly behind).

Young has 22 less starts (143 vs 165)
Approximately 600 less attempts
Approximately 200 less completions
2.8% better comp percentage
Approximately 200 MORE yards (on less comp and attempts)
67 MORE TDs
34 LESS interceptions

I won't even bother looking at running stats. Can you explain how Steve Young is well behind Aikman?

Also, there are 8 eligible QBs who have won the Super Bowl and are not in the Super Bowl:
Stabler, Plunkett, Theismann, McMahon, Simms, Williams, Hostetler, Rypien

4 are retired but not yet eligible:
Favre, Johnson, Dilfer and Warner

Favre is a shoe-in, Warner likely gets in.

So, does Steve Young fit more with the Trent Dilfers, Brad Johnsons, Jeff Hostetlers and Mark Rypiens of the world, or with the Joe Montanas, John Elways, Terry Bradshaws and Johnnie Unitas?

aarrgghh

Senior Junior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
> Can you explain how Steve Young is well behind Aikman?

LOL. Easy: Young 8-6 playoffs, 1-0 SB. Aikman 11-4 playoffs, 3-0 SB.

Geez, I'm really sorry to overstep. Young is awesome. I take it all back.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
> Can you explain how Steve Young is well behind Aikman?

LOL. Easy: Young 8-6 playoffs, 1-0 SB. Aikman 11-4 playoffs, 3-0 SB.

Geez, I'm really sorry to overstep. Young is awesome. I take it all back.

Oh, so it's all about playoff success? Well, Dan Marino was 8-10 playoffs, 0-1 Super Bowl.

I guess Young is better than Marino. Bradshaw is 3rd best QB ever (2nd could be negotiable), and Flacco is a top 10 all time QB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome, new guy. As an introduction, I'm a lifelong Niners fan and was happy we got Smith because he was from my father's alma mater (and thus a childhood college team before I went to USC). I am, too, glad we have Kaepernick because even I know he offers more.

I won't say your first post was "instigating," because there's no argument from me or others, but would appreciate it if you don't make it a point to compare the QBs or bash Smith. Just happy with who we've got. I didn't argue for us to stick with Smith, btw. I believe the other fan who supported Smith did and now he's gone because he wasn't a Niners fan, but a Smith fan. I think player-only fans are weeded out, here.

Anyway, welcome!

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, Serious question:

In what order would you rank these 5 semi-contemporary quarterbacks? (by semi, I mean they were all playing at the same time, even though there was some age disparity)

Troy Aikman
Steve Young
John Elway
Bret Favre
Dan Marino

Me, I put Young a distant 5th.

Elway, Marino, Young Aikman, Favre

The first two did more over a longer period of time otherwise Young would be first.

Welcome aboard.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Troy Aikman did indeed win three Super Bowls, but he may have had the most talent surrounding him of any quarterback on this list.

He is a great quarterback, don't get me wrong, but his career numbers (such as his 81.6 QB rating) are very ordinary for being equipped with a Hall of Fame running game, Hall of Fame receiving corps and Hall of Fame offensive line"

This was from a '50 most overated QB's of all time list' (Aikman was ranked #25 on that list)

The list doesn't matter as much as the quote attached to Aikman's ranking and the reasoning behind it...

BTW, Aikman threw 17 career postseason interceptions, in 16 starts. Not exactly a great number. Good thing he had Emmitt and that big O-line to lean on during those 16 starts...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good post. My figuring was Joe would have won with the 49ers in '94 - his last year - and he also might have in '93.

I don't think even Montana would have won in 1993. We let Dallas score four times in the second quarter and couldn't stop them when it counted. We were overmatched on the line.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think even Montana would have won in 1993. We let Dallas score four times in the second quarter and couldn't stop them when it counted. We were overmatched on the line.

I agree. That '93 Cowboys' team was frustratingly good. I'm still mad they got Charles Haley.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the ranking of Aikman, Elway, Marino, Young, and Favre.

One thing is certain, Aikman and Elway proved that if you have a dominating running game and a very good to great offensive line... you're winning more Super Bowls.

I think Marino and Favre were victims of their own success and legend. Both Miami and Green Bay honestly believed that all they needed to be contenders were Dan and Brett. Both of those teams could have tried a lot harder to build more talented teams. Instead they mainly focused on adding guys through the draft and only getting bargain bucket FAs.

Young, I am a bit biased and think he is one of the greats, but I also feel like his play dropped off in the playoffs most of the time. Sometimes by injury and sometimes the refs screwed him, but we as fans definitely didn't get enough of the '94 playoff version of Young. Who knows what could have happened if that guy would have shown up more than once.

Anyway, I'd go Marino, Young, Elway, Aikman, Favre.