• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New ESPN article about Snyder attempting to extort Jerry Jones

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to answer your questions:

1. The Jones-Snyder relationship is probably friendly enough. But Snyder is backed into a corner, as of late, and he knows Jones has outsized power over the NFL. And he knows that Jones and his organization have skeletons in their closet. So it's a veiled threat, but Snyder will do pretty much anything to both hang onto his franchise and squeeze extra dollars out of its fanbase.

2. Same answer as #1. To think that the only "off-color" emails or hostile (towards women) workplace environments in the NFL are in Washington and Las Vegas, is insane. Snyder could cause a cascade of bad press about multiple organizations, if he were to torch his way out on a forced exit. Goodell knows it, and since his bosses are both Snyder and the other 31 owners, he's being cautious.

3. No. Whether Snyder can leverage such an extortion into helping him get someone else pay for a new stadium, is unknown. But it's mostly a separate problem.

4. Based off the amount of bad press each organization could afford if Snyder dragged them down with him, probably a lot. The smart thing to do would be for each franchise to clean up its problems now and prepare to weather the storm if they did indeed decide to force Snyder out.

5. The fanbase has hemorrhaged badly. It's been a uniformly terrible chapter in the team's history, dating back directly to when Snyder took over as owner. If the thought was that fans could accept being gouged or having to hear about toxic culture as long as the team frequently made the playoffs or was in discussion for a Super Bowl, that hasn't materialized either. The team went to a net losing record, while Snyder was owner, its best head coach had his legacy sullied, and the team is frequently the topic of jokes as a cursed franchise, comparable to Cleveland or Detroit. The average time annually for fans to become defeatist and nihilistic in the Washington area is around Week 5-6 (hey!).
The fact that Dan literally hired PIs to snoop on other owners blows my mind. That would be ground for a vote IMO.

Great answers BTW

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones lives in a media microscope, it's possible Dan has dirt on him if that same dirt is on Dan, but otherwise I think the world knows a lot the dirt all over Jerry.
Snyder reminds me of the nerdy kid in High School who did all the homework for the jocks/popular crowd, so they let him hang around to feel important.

The problem is; Snyder now thinks he is part of the popular crowd. He isn't.

He is clearly bluffing...he has nothing on the owners.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Dan literally hired PIs to snoop on other owners blows my mind. That would be ground for a vote IMO.

Great answers BTW
Well, people can hope. I think Snyder's got them by the balls with the extortion threats, and at best, he gets a massive payoff- say, $5B plus whatever he can get a buyer to pay for the team.

Skinsfan21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just when you think you have heard it all.

IF the article/sources/testimonies are true, I have the following questions:

1. Why is Jones putting up with Snyder and is Jones really "afraid" of him?
2. Why is Goodell intimidated by Snyder? Same with the other owners.
3. Is it really all about a new stadium for the Commanders?
4. How much more of this will the owners take? It appears that Snyder is now hurting the pocketbooks of the other owners, in addition to causing embarrassment to the league as a whole.
5. How can any Commanders fan literally attend a game and ignore what Snyder is currently doing?

I have Snyders back. Run tell dat

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, people can hope. I think Snyder's got them by the balls with the extortion threats, and at best, he gets a massive payoff- say, $5B plus whatever he can get a buyer to pay for the team.
Personally I don't think he gets a penny and all he is doing is expediting his exit. But even if you disagree, why in the world would he get $5B? Seriously?

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I don't think he gets a penny and all he is doing is expediting his exit. But even if you disagree, why in the world would he get $5B? Seriously?
Yeah, the NFL isn’t the NBA. Given what goes on in the rest of the League, you think 3/4 of the rest of the League’s owners will vote him out? No, Snyder won’t leave unless he’s paid to do so.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Forbes, as of August 2022, the team is worth 5.6 billion. I can't say I fully understand the rationale behind that, but that is what the article says.

As such, if Dan is to sell, it would clearly have to be more than that. I am guessing 8 billion or more would get him out. There again, he thinks he is an emperor of sorts and he is trying to build an empire. He allegedly wants his son to take over.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Forbes, as of August 2022, the team is worth 5.6 billion. I can't say I fully understand the rationale behind that, but that is what the article says.

As such, if Dan is to sell, it would clearly have to be more than that. I am guessing 8 billion or more would get him out. There again, he thinks he is an emperor of sorts and he is trying to build an empire. He allegedly wants his son to take over.

There's the valuation, yeah. Probably based on annual revenue, which even for Washington, is surprisingly high, the value of current assets, etc.

Ultimately, the value of the team is whatever a prospective buyer is willing to pay. Given the popularity of the NFL and the general lack of open franchises to purchase, I'd say the sale price (if it were today) would be at least that much. What I meant though, was that if the League wanted Snyder gone, they'd have to pay him $5 billion in addition to whatever he could get as a sale price. They're not going to force him out, because the other owners don't want to set such a precedent. Snyder's a greedy butthole, so there's more of a chance you could pay him to go away, than to just "investigate" him into submission and hope he doesn't leak all the other owners' dirty secrets also.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He gets what someone is willing to pay and nothing more

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He gets what someone is willing to pay and nothing more
yeah & if forced to sell it would most likely be on the cheaper side.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the NFL isn’t the NBA. Given what goes on in the rest of the League, you think 3/4 of the rest of the League’s owners will vote him out? No, Snyder won’t leave unless he’s paid to do so.
Here is Jones' response. It appears he is playing dumb. I am sure he is NOT happy of Danny hired a PI to tail Jones to find dirt.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Jones' response. It appears he is playing dumb. I am sure he is NOT happy of Danny hired a PI to tail Jones to find dirt.

That’s probably wise, given the subject matter and the desire to control leaks. Jones certainly doesn’t want to reveal what dirt Snyder might have prematurely and it also behooves him not to poison potential buyers for the Commanders.

I expect Jones (and many other owners) are working behind-the-scenes now to clean up their franchises, should Snyder or anyone else try to take them down. A league-wide investigation into toxic culture, would be potentially devastating financially.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s probably wise, given the subject matter and the desire to control leaks. Jones certainly doesn’t want to reveal what dirt Snyder might have prematurely and it also behooves him not to poison potential buyers for the Commanders.

I expect Jones (and many other owners) are working behind-the-scenes now to clean up their franchises, should Snyder or anyone else try to take them down. A league-wide investigation into toxic culture, would be potentially devastating financially.
I still don't think Snyder has anything.

He probably has heard some off-color jokes or inappropriate comments at owner meetings/parties, but that is about it.

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think Snyder has anything.

He probably has heard some off-color jokes or inappropriate comments at owner meetings/parties, but that is about it.
Dunno. Those examples are probably free. If he really did hire a private investigator and managed to track down employees of other front offices, hack servers, etc., then he could be sitting on a goldmine of extortion materials.

We likely won't know for sure, until leaks happen. I think the NFL has banked an impressive amount of goodwill, so if organizations mysteriously start cleaning up their image, I doubt anyone will suspect it's because they're worried about Daniel Snyder's machinations.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno. Those examples are probably free. If he really did hire a private investigator and managed to track down employees of other front offices, hack servers, etc., then he could be sitting on a goldmine of extortion materials.

We likely won't know for sure, until leaks happen. I think the NFL has banked an impressive amount of goodwill, so if organizations mysteriously start cleaning up their image, I doubt anyone will suspect it's because they're worried about Daniel Snyder's machinations.
We will see what the owners are made of here. If NOTHING happens, to me, that means they are intimidated by Snyder. Surely one owner will at least raise a concern about this. Funny that Snyder won't even be there and is sending Tanya allegedly. One statement that should be made but won't:

"Hey Tanya, how in the world do you stay that moron"