• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New England Patriots Ongoing Thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12/16 will be another great day for Pats fans. Ben will be left scratching his head again. What do I have to do to beat the Goat? Who's jersey is framed and hanging in my office. :suds:

Well with the new rules on what is a catch the Pats would have lost that game last year.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Gronkowski and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, recently met with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, with the tight end committing to a return for 2018.

Now, the Patriots are working on “tweaking” Gronkowski’s deal, according to Karen Gurgian of the Boston Herald.

Last May, New England added $5.5 million in incentives to Gronkowski’s contract for the 2017 season. The All-Pro ended up making $10.19 million.

It’s likely the Patriots will do something similar for him this year.

Gronkowski, 28, is scheduled to make $8 million in base salary this season. He has outplayed the eight-year, $54 million extension he signed with the Patriots in 2012.

I'm pretty sure this all but confirms Gronk is coming back for the 2018 season.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots receiver Phillip Dorsett agreed to a reduction in the roster bonus due the fifth day of training camp, Field Yates of ESPN reports.

Dorsett’s roster bonus dropped from $450,000 to $150,000, but he now can earn $100,000 in per-game roster bonuses and $150,000 in reception incentives.

The Patriots declined Dorsett’s fifth-year option, making this a contract year for the former first-round pick.

Dorsett, whom the Patriots acquired from the Colts in the Jacoby Brissett deal, appeared in 15 games for New England last season and caught 12 passes for 194 yards and no touchdowns.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense for him to take a bit of a reduction in pay. Easier to keep him on the final 53-man roster and he can earn most of it back anyway.

Racer8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense for him to take a bit of a reduction in pay. Easier to keep him on the final 53-man roster and he can earn most of it back anyway.

He didn't see a whole lot of playing time last season. I wonder if he even makes the roster this year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't see a whole lot of playing time last season. I wonder if he even makes the roster this year.

I would bet that he does. Right now I would say only ones for sure on the roster would be Edelman, Matthews, and maybe Chris Hogan.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet that he does. Right now I would say only ones for sure on the roster would be Edelman, Matthews, and maybe Chris Hogan.
NE is loaded at the WR position. I'm pretty sure Hogan will be back. I'd hate to see NE get rid of him.

WRs on the bubble:
Jordan Matthews good size just not sure he can beat all these others out.
Malcolm Mitchell if he's healthy he'll be back. Him and Brady have a connection.
Cordarelle Patterson maybe for his return ability?
Kenny Britt will need to earn his spot.
Mathew Slater will stay as a ST player. I'd rather they release him if it means cutting a Britt or Patterson.
Riley McCarron maybe a PS guy? Not sure why they picked him up off of waivers? Camp Body.
Braxton Berrios? Rookie 6th round he'll need a great camp
Cody Hollister will have a tough time making the 53/45 I'm afraid
Lacy Chris rookie who's 6'-3" nice size and had some K/O exp but I don't see him making the team.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berrios will take Amendola's spot. He's exactly the same kind of WR. If he absorb the play book and learn to separate himself from defenders during camp, he wins. If he can't get a connection with TB, he's gone.

Matthews is pretty much a lock. He has good size, can run and is an excellent route runner. Catching the ball 98% of time will be his biggest problem.

Right now, the big problem far all/any of these guys including JE, CH and MM is that Brady is not attending the Voluntary OTAs. Historically, Brady has worked with the WRs in the practice building where Josh coaches and Brady coaches. Doors are locked and Brady has been known to spend up to 8 hours working the receivers through their paces and routes.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berrios will take Amendola's spot. He's exactly the same kind of WR. If he absorb the play book and learn to separate himself from defenders during camp, he wins. If he can't get a connection with TB, he's gone.

Matthews is pretty much a lock. He has good size, can run and is an excellent route runner. Catching the ball 98% of time will be his biggest problem.

Right now, the big problem far all/any of these guys including JE, CH and MM is that Brady is not attending the Voluntary OTAs. Historically, Brady has worked with the WRs in the practice building where Josh coaches and Brady coaches. Doors are locked and Brady has been known to spend up to 8 hours working the receivers through their paces and routes.
I forgot about Berrios on this thread.
Brady's shit is starting to wear thin.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE is loaded at the WR position. I'm pretty sure Hogan will be back. I'd hate to see NE get rid of him.

WRs on the bubble:
Jordan Matthews good size just not sure he can beat all these others out.
Malcolm Mitchell if he's healthy he'll be back. Him and Brady have a connection.
Cordarelle Patterson maybe for his return ability?
Kenny Britt will need to earn his spot.
Mathew Slater will stay as a ST player. I'd rather they release him if it means cutting a Britt or Patterson.
Riley McCarron maybe a PS guy? Not sure why they picked him up off of waivers? Camp Body.
Braxton Berrios? Rookie 6th round he'll need a great camp
Cody Hollister will have a tough time making the 53/45 I'm afraid
Lacy Chris rookie who's 6'-3" nice size and had some K/O exp but I don't see him making the team.

Not sure the word "loaded" is what I would use. More like they have a plethora of guys to work out and see who emerges. Beyond Edelman though there are not really any house hold names with this group. I'm not saying they can't be productive as Brady has shown he can throw to about anybody and help them produce but at least right now I wouldn't rate this group anywhere near the top-10 receiving cores in the NFL.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure the word "loaded" is what I would use. More like they have a plethora of guys to work out and see who emerges. Beyond Edelman though there are not really any house hold names with this group. I'm not saying they can't be productive as Brady has shown he can throw to about anybody and help them produce but at least right now I wouldn't rate this group anywhere near the top-10 receiving cores in the NFL.

I disagree, at times Reche Caldwell, Bethel Johnson David Patten, David Givens, Troy Brown & Dieon Branch were his primary receivers. Edelman, Hogan, Dorsett, Britt, Patterson and likely Mitchell and Mathews are all better then them. An argument would be made for Brown and Branch. No room nor desire to have any Diva Receivers.

Divas/household receivers haven't faired well in NE, Glenn, Galloway, Ocho, Holt, Wayne...

Because of the direction of this thread I didn't mention Gronk or the receiving backs that all add up to a loaded receiver corps. That's another reason NE is not normally a top ten group and players don't get the stats. Too many touches for too many players. Gronk and JE11 will get the lions share. Everyone else fights for scraps. All they need to do is run crisp routes and be where TB expects you to be. If they do that then those scraps turn into a light meal.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Patriots were number 1 receiving offense last year. It could be argued we have gotten better. Now if I was a Donkeys fan. I'd be thinking, Maybe, Hopefully......