• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Defense's

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking at the free agent market and specifically the available Safeties, it has me wondering when will see a new style of defense come about. With offenses so sophisticated, with a ton of different wrinkles and formations when will we see a new style of defense? Who will be the next Bud Wilkinson/Buddy Ryan to reinvent and perfect a new style of D?

For instance, will it ever be possible to eliminate or atleast change the safety position (similar to how Fullback's have fallen by the wayside)? With such fierce passing attacks these days, would it be realistic to load up the front seven with beef and go with 4 Cornerbacks in the backfield on an every down basis?

Maybe I'm reaching a little bit with this topic or idea's, but I'm sure coaches out there have had similar thoughts. But it would be nice to have different perspectives on this...

calison3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I definitely think you will see teams place a higher value on combo safeties who have above average cover skills. This will make it harder for the Whitners of the world to find homes in the NFL.
I don't think the styles of defense will change as much as the styles of players will. Beating offenses when they spread you out is more about out athleting the other team than it is scheming. You need pass rushers who can get quick pressure on the quarterback and cover guys who are better in space than the receivers on the other team.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe with the tight end position starting to become so much more used and lethal and RB's that are almost wide outs, you will see teams go for guys that should play safety, used at LB. Guys that can still tackle but also run.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this is why i wouldn't mind the defense taking up most of the cap, like the 9ers are now. you simply need good players or offenses will exploit your weaknesses. just a little over 50% of the cap is ok.

granted that will change soon for the 9ers, because of the cost of a franchise QB.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah but as soon as everyone starts switching over to using smaller cover guys for safeties, and then smaller quicker guys for linebackers, then some team in the NFL will switch back to a power running style and dominate and maybe start a new trend. It's all cyclical. But passing will remain a focal point because the rules for protecting the QBs and WRs got better.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, I am asking the same type of question given the revision of the helmet rules..."coverage safeties" FS would seem to be more desirable now more than ever. SS may be the dinosaur position with the rule changes. A Merton Hanks body style and play might be the "new" "black".

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Continuing the tran of thought..++> Michael Huff may be the type of FS we should be signing if he is affordable. Coverage safety--->played CB this year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6'4 safeties that have blazing speed and agility.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
be careful we don't go too far on measurements? don't go too far on type casting?