• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Coach Rumors

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anything in there that states he cannot have anything to do with the team. It only states that he can't coach the first 5 games and the bowl game. I compare that to summer conditioning where, the coaches can't have contact with the team during practices but can still give direction to the S&C coach. There are ways around shit like that.
-------
Think that's a bad comparison. IMO, what they gave Tressel was a five year death penalty. I may be misjudging what the NCAA intended--I'm no lawyer. But I take it he cannot have anything to do with football operations and the hiring of assistants would have plenty to do with football operations.

Pelini in my mind got it into his players heads by letting them think 9 wins was a great year. The vest would probably do the same with "bending the rules is OK as long as you don't get caught". One is no better than the other.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Butch Davis as HC and good coordinators around him....

LETS DO IT!!

Butch can recruit and that is what is needed here.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should try it out without a coaching staff at all for a year.

Buck the trend a little :noidea:

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
somewhere i saw a good argument for Mullen to come from Miss St.

found it:
I think Dan Mullen will be announced as the next head coach at NU and here is why.

1. He is an Urban Meyer protege and look at what Urban did. He left the SEC for the BIG and is killing it at OSU. Mullen beat 3 top 10 ranked teams in a row this year and it wasn't enough to win his division and get to a conference championship game. He could learn a lesson from his mentor and realize Nebraska is an easier path to a national championship than the SEC.

2. He obviously worked with Urban, but at Nebraska he would be in the other division and not have to face Urban every year. Similar to the setup he had at Miss St. while Urban was at Florida. That's why he wouldn't go to Michigan. He would have to face his buddy every year. Mullen also coached with Gary Anderson at Utah so he is familiar with Wisconsin's style and tactics. He would be comfortable knowing he needs to beat them every year.

3. Nebraska already has the facilities and support that he is trying to build at MSU. It's going to take a few years to get all the new facilities at Miss. St. Here he can walk into world class facilities and administrative support.

4. Supposedly he makes about $3m at Miss St. If Nebraska is really going to offer $4m to $5m per year then salary shouldn't be a problem.

5. He has head coaching experience in a power 5 conference. His background is the offensive side of the ball and he has a reputation for developing players. I found one article about him that said the average star rating of all his drafted players was 2.9. He's used to doing more with less.

6. He's not a born and bred SEC coach. He's from the northeast and has coached at lots of different places. Notre Dame, Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, Miss. St.

7. I think fans would see this hire as a good fit and a "big" name. His offensive style would do well in the BIG and Husker fans would find it close enough to the historic Huskers. He would need to make sure he had a solid DC and solid defensive coaches.

This is all just my opinion, but it seems to make some sense.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't have a problem with Mullen at all, previously, I just didn't even see him as an option, but after reading that, I actually think that would be worth a shot.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be happy with Mullen, much more than Frost or Bohl

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1