• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need some help from a mechanic

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That truck is a monster ! Would look awesome with a 6" lift.

If you ever in the market for after market rims and tires let me know. I have a guy in California I deal with that gives me great deals on rims because I have been buying them from him for years.

I bought those 2Crave rims with Lizzetti tires on my truck for about $1,500. They are sent to my door, mounted and balanced for that price and include lugs and 4 locking lugs plus a thin wall lug socket too !

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that. May need to check timing. Does it miss at all ?
No, not missing at all that I can tell. I will check the timing. I forgot I needed to do that after changing th vac advance and stator. It just ran so good sitting still I didnt even bother. It is also idling at a fairly low RPM.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That truck is a monster ! Would look awesome with a 6" lift.

If you ever in the market for after market rims and tires let me know. I have a guy in California I deal with that gives me great deals on rims because I have been buying them from him for years.

I bought those 2Crave rims with Lizzetti tires on my truck for about $1,500. They are sent to my door, mounted and balanced for that price and include lugs and 4 locking lugs plus a thin wall lug socket too !
Just put new tires on it, so it will be a while.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So @Bayou Tiger and @outofyourmind , I went got the old goat plated today, and took it out on the highway. As soon as I got up to freeway speed, I went to pass someone and it bogged down, like it was starving for fuel. Slowed down and it picked back up again. I wonder if the screen I put on the pick up tube in the tank is too fine.

@Peter Gozintite
That 750 cfm may be a little too big for what you have, however, it shouldn't make it bog down.

Does it have vacuum or mechanical secondaries.

Bogging down when you put your foot into it usually means that the secondaries are opening too quickly.
If they are vacuum secondaries then a slightly tighter spring in the diaphram that opens them up will work, slow down how fast they come in.

If they are mechanical secondaries, not sure what to do except to rejet and reduce the amount of gas the accelerator pump is giving when you push the throttle down.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So @Bayou Tiger and @outofyourmind , I went got the old goat plated today, and took it out on the highway. As soon as I got up to freeway speed, I went to pass someone and it bogged down, like it was starving for fuel. Slowed down and it picked back up again. I wonder if the screen I put on the pick up tube in the tank is too fine.

Did you floor it or just a mild press on the throttle??
I was talking about putting your foot in it, maybe not all the way to the floor, but enough to get those secondaries to open.

If it just a mild passing maneuver then it just might be lack of fuel. You cleaned out the tank, so I'd take off that screen and just let the fuel filter do it's thing

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you floor it or just a mild press on the throttle??
I was talking about putting your foot in it, maybe not all the way to the floor, but enough to get those secondaries to open.

If it just a mild passing maneuver then it just might be lack of fuel. You cleaned out the tank, so I'd take off that screen and just let the fuel filter do it's thing
I got on it pretty good. Had my "friend" tell me to check the timing too. Which my dumbass didnt do after changing all those distributor parts.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Peter Gozintite
When you got on it, did it ever recover and accelerate. Because if it's the secondaries coming in too fast, then it should recover after a couple of seconds and feel strong. If not, then it's fuel starvation.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Peter Gozintite
When you got on it, did it ever recover and accelerate. Because if it's the secondaries coming in too fast, then it should recover after a couple of seconds and feel strong. If not, then it's fuel starvation.
No it took a bit. Had to pull over, and it never died, but took a minute to get caught up and then was ok as long as I didnt get on it.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20170428_200104.jpg 20170428_200131_HDR.jpg
Put the high hat extension on the new air filter. Like it better, plus it allows me to tinker with the carb without taking off the air cleaner.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 158892 View attachment 158893
Put the high hat extension on the new air filter. Like it better, plus it allows me to tinker with the carb without taking off the air cleaner.

@Peter Gozintite
That looks good.
Try that carb spacer I talked abut earlier.
A 1" or 2" spacer under the carb will give you about 5 more horsepower. It puts more plenum under the carb and lifts the butterflies out of the the manifold so they don't interfere with air flow.

I would probably go with an open spacer rather than the 4 hole spacer, but either will work.
It's the cheapest horsepower you can buy. And it gets the carb a little higher up so working on it is easier.

Hope that air filter isn't too tall for it to fit under the hood with a spacer now, but you probably have plenty of room under that beast.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it took a bit. Had to pull over, and it never died, but took a minute to get caught up and then was ok as long as I didnt get on it.

@Peter Gozintite

Well, that isn't the secondaries bogging then.
That's more like what you said, about fuel starvation/fuel pickup I would imagine.

Did you get your timing adjusted?? Did it make a difference.
What is it set at??? 12 degrees /6 degrees/??

That article I posted also said that year engine had the cam keyway retarded for emissions, not the distributor like I was thinking. If it has a more aggressive cam in it than stock like you think, I wonder if they put a new cam gear in it without the 3 degrees retarded in it. If they didn't, then a swap to a regular keyed gear would give some pretty, feel of the pants, performance to it. Like advancing your cam 3 degrees. Advancing your came will give you more low end torque which will benefit you more than the opposite of that, which is higher RPM performance, which you will never see anyway, and probably don't want to push that thing to that extreme RPM levels anyway.

It would be nice to know what cam, exactly, was put in. Did your father in law do it, and if he did does he remember or have the paperwork. Some cams, although bigger, aren't always best. Usually if you install a "factory performance" cam of some kind, you won't be sorry. If you are looking for gobs of horsepower, then more research will be needed, based on your driving needs, rear end, transmission, etc.

Here's some info on cams to look at.

COMP Cams® - Effect of Changes In Cam Timing and Lobe Separation Angle

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Peter Gozintite

Well, that isn't the secondaries bogging then.
That's more like what you said, about fuel starvation/fuel pickup I would imagine.

Did you get your timing adjusted?? Did it make a difference.
What is it set at??? 12 degrees /6 degrees/??

That article I posted also said that year engine had the cam keyway retarded for emissions, not the distributor like I was thinking. If it has a more aggressive cam in it than stock like you think, I wonder if they put a new cam gear in it without the 3 degrees retarded in it. If they didn't, then a swap to a regular keyed gear would give some pretty, feel of the pants, performance to it. Like advancing your cam 3 degrees. Advancing your came will give you more low end torque which will benefit you more than the opposite of that, which is higher RPM performance, which you will never see anyway, and probably don't want to push that thing to that extreme RPM levels anyway.

It would be nice to know what cam, exactly, was put in. Did your father in law do it, and if he did does he remember or have the paperwork. Some cams, although bigger, aren't always best. Usually if you install a "factory performance" cam of some kind, you won't be sorry. If you are looking for gobs of horsepower, then more research will be needed, based on your driving needs, rear end, transmission, etc.

Here's some info on cams to look at.

COMP Cams® - Effect of Changes In Cam Timing and Lobe Separation Angle
I dont know which cam is in it and he has no clue. His business partner installed it. When i had the engine rebuild years ago the mechanic told me they had to advance the timing so it would it run properly. I tried to set the timing and it was way ahead to begin with. The closer it got tdc the worse it ran.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Peter Gozintite
That looks good.
Try that carb spacer I talked abut earlier.
A 1" or 2" spacer under the carb will give you about 5 more horsepower. It puts more plenum under the carb and lifts the butterflies out of the the manifold so they don't interfere with air flow.

I would probably go with an open spacer rather than the 4 hole spacer, but either will work.
It's the cheapest horsepower you can buy. And it gets the carb a little higher up so working on it is easier.

Hope that air filter isn't too tall for it to fit under the hood with a spacer now, but you probably have plenty of room under that beast.
I could probably get away with another inch.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know which cam is in it and he has no clue. His business partner installed it. When i had the engine rebuild years ago the mechanic told me they had to advance the timing so it would it run properly. I tried to set the timing and it was way ahead to begin with. The closer it got tdc the worse it ran.

Well, have to live with the cam then. Did it run good before.??
Yeah, and the advance on the timing, you want as much as you can get away with. Close to TDC isn't the hot ticket.

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the dwell needs to be set. Do you have a dwell meter ?