• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Need another QB in the offseason.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course we notice when the pass protection holds up. It's the times when it doesn't break down lol.

It's true a good game by the OL is when you don't hear their name called but saying they just need to improve their consistency is just weird to me.

Their job is to protect the QB long enough to get the play off. Sometimes things happen whether receivers can't get open or QB just doesn't pull the trigger or he gets happy feet and doesn't trust them...that's when it's hard to blame the OL and maybe where I could see saying they need to be more consistent at holding their blocks longer.

Then there's the embarrassment that we've seen all too often this year where guys are coming through almost untouched at Colin from two sides.

How many sacks did Colin avoid this year with his legs? I have a hard time faulting a guy for getting happy feet in the pocket if he is consistently rushed from it. I think this season we've had more rushed attempts than ones with a clean pocket. It's been a rare occurrence this season where Colin drops back and he has a clean pocket.

Our OL has been badly overrated the last few years at least in terms of the pass pro but this year even Staley is struggling. Iupati is having a terrible season. Alex Boone is probably the worst one of the bunch and Jonathan Martin...well he's a backup.

'consistent' is too hard a description?

i'll end this one here............

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes no sense in the context. It's like saying Eli Manning's issue last year was just consistency and not throwing picks. I mean he didn't throw picks all the time, just had to improve his consistency otherwise he was great...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we notice when the pass protection holds up. It's the times when it doesn't break down lol.

It's true a good game by the OL is when you don't hear their name called but saying they just need to improve their consistency is just weird to me.

Their job is to protect the QB long enough to get the play off. Sometimes things happen whether receivers can't get open or QB just doesn't pull the trigger or he gets happy feet and doesn't trust them...that's when it's hard to blame the OL and maybe where I could see saying they need to be more consistent at holding their blocks longer.

Then there's the embarrassment that we've seen all too often this year where guys are coming through almost untouched at Colin from two sides.

How many sacks did Colin avoid this year with his legs? I have a hard time faulting a guy for getting happy feet in the pocket if he is consistently rushed from it. I think this season we've had more rushed attempts than ones with a clean pocket. It's been a rare occurrence this season where Colin drops back and he has a clean pocket.

Our OL has been badly overrated the last few years at least in terms of the pass pro but this year even Staley is struggling. Iupati is having a terrible season. Alex Boone is probably the worst one of the bunch and Jonathan Martin...well he's a backup.

I would like to have the pass protection Tom Brady used to get several years ago where you could count to 10 and not see a defender anywhere near him. He could have helped himself to coffee and donuts waiting for a receiver to get open.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to have the pass protection Tom Brady used to get several years ago where you could count to 10 and not see a defender anywhere near him. He could have helped himself to coffee and donuts waiting for a receiver to get open.

Yeah for a while there he had some insane time in the pocket. Not anymore...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes no sense in the context. It's like saying Eli Manning's issue last year was just consistency and not throwing picks. I mean he didn't throw picks all the time, just had to improve his consistency otherwise he was great...

Consistency in what you do can be a good or bad thing right ? If Eli consistently DIDN'T throw picks that's a good thing but if he consistently throws picks that's another thing... I understood the point ... More consistency with pass protection is a good thing... Now if your obese and you consistently eat twinkles that's a bad thing..

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consistency in what you do can be a good or bad thing right ? If Eli consistently DIDN'T throw picks that's a good thing but if he consistently throws picks that's another thing... I understood the point ... More consistency with pass protection is a good thing... Now if your obese and you consistently eat twinkles that's a bad thing..

Point was that the job of the OL is to block the guys trying to kill your QB. Saying they're doing ok just need to work on their consistency to me doesn't sit well considering the 49ers OL has been poor more times than not.

It's one thing if they're playing well most of the game but here and there guys get through before the play develops....ok, sure get more consistent.

When your QB has guys coming at him before he has a chance to finish his drop back that's not a consistency issue the way I see it.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is?!?! What about bacon? I always tell smokers who quite the habit that nobody likes a quitter. Kidding....anyway IMO Kap needs (posting this again) someone snapping at his heals like Alex did to push him. Blaine and Josh aren't fitting the bill here. The 9ers need either a strong and hungry rookie or a seasoned successful vet as a back-up .

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's the thing that blows my mind.

I'm sure if we went back to 2012 season on all of these niner forums and looked up the Giants game thread 90% of the people would be calling for his head and saying what a bum he is.

In a way the best thing for Alex Smith's legacy as a 49er QB was to get hurt when he did. He was coming off a great game vs the Cards and was doing pretty good in the Rams game.

Because he left off playing so well and being so accurate a ton of people forgot all about that Giants game where he was straight up horrible. Worse than anything Colin has done.

The Giants were beat up in their secondary and everyone thought the 49ers would be out for blood after what happened in the playoffs the year before. Meanwhile Giants went into Candlestick and killed us and Alex had some horrendous picks in the game. Defense pretty much baited him and he looked lost.

Totally agree about tbe Giants. Their DC knew how to game plan him.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is?!?! What about bacon? I always tell smokers who quite the habit that nobody likes a quitter. Kidding....anyway IMO Kap needs (posting this again) someone snapping at his heals like Alex did to push him. Blaine and Josh aren't fitting the bill here. The 9ers need either a strong and hungry rookie or a seasoned successful vet as a back-up .

:yahoo:

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Kap has time, he's fine. Our O-Line has taken a major step backwards this year in pass protection. Would be nice to see Roman and Harbaugh commit to the run to take some of the heat off. Plus, that's our identity and we're friggin good at it.

Honestly can't believe that folks are seriously considering tossing him aside given his potential and relative age. Crazy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When Kap has time, he's fine. Our O-Line has taken a major step backwards this year in pass protection. Would be nice to see Roman and Harbaugh commit to the run to take some of the heat off. Plus, that's our identity and we're friggin good at it.

Honestly can't believe that folks are seriously considering tossing him aside given his potential and relative age. Crazy.

NOBODY said 'toss him aside'. I originally started off incorrectly and may have implied that, but corrected myself to 'our next QB'. NOT anxious to toss Kaep aside.

how much more potential is there? He is good now, but will he get to the next level - elite? after starting almost two seasons now (including play-offs), IMO no. what we have now is a good QB, but we shouldn't keep expecting 'elite' will emerge. Cause the only way he becomes elite, is to improve his pocket passing, his RZ passing, but that part of his game is basically 'what it is'.

obviously, he isn't being held back by physical ability. i also contend "play calling" is too easy an excuse, not it isn't an excuse, but played up too high. He's QB'ing a top NFL team from the get go, so it isn't the players around him.

the only thing left is his own intangibles.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOBODY said 'toss him aside'. I originally started off incorrectly and may have implied that, but corrected myself to 'our next QB'. NOT anxious to toss Kaep aside.

how much more potential is there? He is good now, but will he get to the next level - elite? after starting almost two seasons now (including play-offs), IMO no. what we have now is a good QB, but we shouldn't keep expecting 'elite' will emerge. Cause the only way he becomes elite, is to improve his pocket passing, his RZ passing, but that part of his game is basically 'what it is'.

obviously, he isn't being held back by physical ability. i also contend "play calling" is too easy an excuse, not it isn't an excuse, but played up too high. He's QB'ing a top NFL team from the get go, so it isn't the players around him.

the only thing left is his own intangibles.

Maybe we are seeing different things on the field... when Kap has time (3+ seconds), I see him making more reads this year and solid throws. But he rarely gets that much time. Hard to judge Kap fully when the Oline is a sieve on pass protection.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe we are seeing different things on the field... when Kap has time (3+ seconds), I see him making more reads this year and solid throws. But he rarely gets that much time. Hard to judge Kap fully when the Oline is a sieve on pass protection.

obviously, there are plays where linemen break down. on those plays the linemen get called out, not Kaep. Fans don't blame Kaep when a linemen whiffs, or otherwise has no time to pass. no doubt the O-line has been poor for the most part of five games.

is 3+ seconds the standard? it seems like some of these other QB's throw quicker? granted we're talking fraction of a second, but don't you think Kaep takes longer than the elite guys?

even when Kaep uses his legs to buy time, how many big PASSING plays result from it? or does he run out of bounds and throw it away more often than not? an example is Wilson, he is dangerous with the pass once he escapes pocket pressure.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that this was for me but how do you post that Kap is making more reads? I'm not sure you are watching the games really. His throws are the same as last season as well as everything else he has done. Blaming the O-line is getting old really. He has the same time many other QBs have in the NFL that have done much better.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see him scanning the field more this year than last year (when he would lock in on once receiver). By the time he gets to his second read (sometimes before he gets to the first) the pocket breaks down. I don't have an empirical breakdown, just my assessment from the cheap seats.

I also think that other QBs get it out quicker by design - 3 step drops versus the 5-7 that we seem to rely on. We aren't running the WCO. Again, I don't have empirical evidence, that's just what I've seen.

Go back and watch the last two games and see how much time Foles and Smith had compared to Kap when they dropped back, and look at how far they were dropping back. To me there are signs that Kap is progressing - he's not "there" yet, but he's getting better. His lack of perceived development on your part might also be linked to the lack of pass protection and the plays being called.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not that this was for me but how do you post that Kap is making more reads? I'm not sure you are watching the games really. His throws are the same as last season as well as everything else he has done. Blaming the O-line is getting old really. He has the same time many other QBs have in the NFL that have done much better.

agree because we judge his passing skills on those plays where he does have time. we don't lump in the passing plays with bad protection.

'play calling' is getting old too, not that it isn't a factor, but over used.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at times people keep forgetting that Kaepernick was about as raw a guy could be, considering the position, when he came into the league. Yes, he bedazzled people with his physical traits and play out of the read option and whatnot in college. Having never seen a snap of him during that time, and not caring much at all about the college game, I don't care too much about it.

What he is today, is still a major work in progress. There are things that he can improve on, and perhaps things that still linger that we must accept that....that's what he is, and always will be.

He can be very inconsistent from play to play. One throw, he'll make multiple reads, hang in the pocket and make the throw, or he'll blow you away with some amazing throw, such as that absolute dart from the opposite hash marks to the sideline - a 20 yard out to Boldin - early against the Chiefs. You can count on one hand the amount of QB's in the NFL that could make that throw. These things give me hope.

Then there's the other side of the coin.....the glaring lack of awareness, the lack of accuracy, the jittery presence within the pocket, the staredown or lack of looking off defenders. Some of these problems are team oriented, ie the pass protection has been spotty at best, but he really hasn't taken any discernible step forward. These things remind me of reality in the NFL.

I'm now at a point where I must look at Kaepernick, not as a player who has so much untapped potential, but a guy who may be plateauing. He'll never be this 'rhythm' player in the mode like Steve Young, whom a lot of people were comparing or hoping for (the guy who was nothing but a scrambler but developed into a passer) but I never saw the comparison anyways. Young was always a far more disciplined passer.

If anything, I think Kaepernick will probably be a 'splash' player. A guy who can do some good, some bad, and you put up with the mistakes from time to time, because at any moment, he absolutely WOWS you with a game-changing play that almost nobody else can pull off.

And yes...the whole 'it's Greg Roman's fault' gets old really fast. I know he's brought ebola to this side of the pond and is the architect of ISIS and all, but it's too easy to grab that low-hanging fruit. It's easy when people don't understand, but gotta blame somebody.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at times people keep forgetting that Kaepernick was about as raw a guy could be, considering the position, when he came into the league. Yes, he bedazzled people with his physical traits and play out of the read option and whatnot in college. Having never seen a snap of him during that time, and not caring much at all about the college game, I don't care too much about it.

What he is today, is still a major work in progress. There are things that he can improve on, and perhaps things that still linger that we must accept that....that's what he is, and always will be.

He can be very inconsistent from play to play. One throw, he'll make multiple reads, hang in the pocket and make the throw, or he'll blow you away with some amazing throw, such as that absolute dart from the opposite hash marks to the sideline - a 20 yard out to Boldin - early against the Chiefs. You can count on one hand the amount of QB's in the NFL that could make that throw. These things give me hope.

Then there's the other side of the coin.....the glaring lack of awareness, the lack of accuracy, the jittery presence within the pocket, the staredown or lack of looking off defenders. Some of these problems are team oriented, ie the pass protection has been spotty at best, but he really hasn't taken any discernible step forward. These things remind me of reality in the NFL.

I'm now at a point where I must look at Kaepernick, not as a player who has so much untapped potential, but a guy who may be plateauing. He'll never be this 'rhythm' player in the mode like Steve Young, whom a lot of people were comparing or hoping for (the guy who was nothing but a scrambler but developed into a passer) but I never saw the comparison anyways. Young was always a far more disciplined passer.

If anything, I think Kaepernick will probably be a 'splash' player. A guy who can do some good, some bad, and you put up with the mistakes from time to time, because at any moment, he absolutely WOWS you with a game-changing play that almost nobody else can pull off.

And yes...the whole 'it's Greg Roman's fault' gets old really fast. I know he's brought ebola to this side of the pond and is the architect of ISIS and all, but it's too easy to grab that low-hanging fruit. It's easy when people don't understand, but gotta blame somebody.
Well stated. I'm the worst critic of my team and this doesn't all fall on Kap. I get that he needs more time to develop than others but this is the NFL, not the pee-wee league.I really hope he can show all 9er fans that he is the QB of the future for this team. :suds: