• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

need a good lol

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes. If they move one the no brainer pick is Parise. He's a solid forward but Suter is a number 1 guy on D no doubt about it. He logs nearly 30 mins a night, much tougher to replace a guy like that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No dman in the game today is worth what Suter got..foolish move by the Wild to sign him because Parise most likely would've gone there without him anyways.

I give Parise points for his leadership and a guy you want as the "face of the franchise"..also being Ameircan helps. So if one of em eventually gets traded I cant see it being Parise.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know in theory winning sells just not here.

Offense def sells.

I could see them keeping Parise over suter for that reason.

Plus suter will get more in return.

Would be funny if the devils traded for suter lol. Double funny if he ended up winning a cup here. That would be awkward bbq for them

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I doubt either of them cares what happens with the teams finances. They're a few months away from getting $45 mil for playing a game over a 4 month stretch.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I hate those signing like 12 - 15 years, including Kovy's. And I'm kind of glad that those deals are not working, because it is total BS. Now, Carter, Richards gone from Phyllis long terms, DiPietro bought out, Kovy is gone, and now it looks like Wild are f..d up with Sutter-Parise signings. It may be early to say that loud, but 30 mil loss for Wilds says something...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Minny sells out their games, people up there live for hockey. If they're losing money it is a problem, something is up.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Minny sells out their games, people up there live for hockey. If they're losing money it is a problem, something is up.

I think you overstate the NHL following up here. It's more high school and youth hockey than the big leagues (although the Wild have no problem selling out the Xcel, I'll grant you). Most folks who are into professional sports up here are Vikings fans more than Wild fans.

That said, I'm not worried about the Wild finances. Hockey might not be the biggest thing up here, but like you said, they are still selling plenty of tickets. I think it's three things:

1. A partial season keeps a lot of your fixed costs (player salary, arena maintenance/rent, etc.) the same, but doesn't give you as many games to to recoup them. I also don't know if they got hit on the TV contracts because of the lockout - I imagine there are penalties for that sort of thing.

2. Parisuter are on the early part of long term contracts, so they are paying more in cash now than they will in the future.

3. They really need to make a longer playoff run. If they sell 18,000 tickets at $50 per (which is sadly lowballing it, this isn't Florida $200 season ticket territory), that's $900,000 a home game during the regular season, and you know it'll be much larger than that during the playoffs. If they'd forced a game 6 against the Hawks, they'd probably have made $2 million in gate alone. Made the second round? That's a bonus $4-6 million right there. Not to mention all the extra concessions (though I believe team merchandise goes to a league pool, so no inherent benefit from a deep run there).

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When owners say they are losing money, it can be translated to - We didn't make as much money as an organization as we would like to make.
Of course during a lock out shortened season the team didn't make as much money as it could have made during a full season, however, it gets even more complex than that.

Usually, the owners never include their salaries when the make statements that they are losing money. These guys make more money then we can imagine. There are investors involved, etc. I doubt they show all of their profits. You can't really compare people like us who have normal jobs and one home and have to sometimes struggle to pay a mortgage. If I had to compare, it would be like me saying that next year, I expect monthly bonuses, I think I will get a 30 percent raise, my mortgage and taxes will go down, and I probably should win big in AC. When this does not happen, then I can say I lost money when in reality, I didn't make as much as I was hoping to make according to the budget I created.

With all this money that they lost, you think these owners are in food kitchens, force to sell their homes, or shopping for clothes in Kohls?
They are still flying around in helicopters and living like kings.