• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA to allow players to profit on their likeness, no later than 2021

EllisHugh

Hoopla Cash
$ 481.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many schools does Nike have agreements with? would this really serve Nike's overall interests to do that?
Nike would spread that money between star players at different schools. Competition would benefit them. Besides, paying all the top recruits guarantees nothing. We see that already without the pay.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some thoughts:

1) I think that this kills CHL alot. Hockey might be a foreign language for most here but bare with me as I explain:

Most of the Blue Chip kids choose Canadian Major Junior Hockey league because it is seen as " the fast track to the NHL". However the kids get paid a "stepand"( sp).

If kids want money, what is stopping them from going to Mid major junior programs such as BCHL, AJHL etc... because this feeds them directly to NCAA.

2) Their needs a governing board to make sure Boosters are NOT INVOLVED. The schools should be not boosters.

3) There needs to be a budget ( 10 million) to be paid for recruiting.

4) There needs to be a budget per recruit budget with OL/DL getting the most.

5) Their needs to be a limit on paid players per teams (15 I think)

Can't imagine hardly any of those getting through.

EllisHugh

Hoopla Cash
$ 481.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there’s a lack of business knowledge in this thread.

Wtf would a company like Nike want to kill competition? It makes no sense.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it goes through either the conference or NCAA for payouts. With the NCAAF game for an example, money from the gaming rights be divided by conference or sport(NCAA over it if done by sport) … placed in a trust until all eligibility is exhausted and then the payout. I really would like to see it put in a 401k type plan as far as the students can invest it into a limited number of stock/bonds/mutual funds but not withdraw any funds.
Exactly. I am not saying lets have free market on college football, but giving these kids compensation that every other student on their campus has a right to.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can call this sudden "right" whatever you want for players to earn money. But just wait until some starry-eyed Federal judge slams the gavel someday on a decision to spread this new found wealth "more equally". It will look like the juice that comes out of that big knot on grandma's foot.
Bridget_Wuerdeman3-56a2f4fe3df78cf7727b4a59.JPG

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nike would spread that money between star players at different schools. Competition would benefit them. Besides, paying all the top recruits guarantees nothing. We see that already without the pay.
Yeah I mean, Alabama is an absolute shit program. All of those number 1 classes are absolutely wasted there.

EllisHugh

Hoopla Cash
$ 481.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I mean, Alabama is an absolute shit program. All of those number 1 classes are absolutely wasted there.
Yeah that has nothing to do with Saban.....and they wear Nike. How will others compete?

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weird take since Oregon did win a playoff game which is what we have been talking about this whole time til you tried to change that to serve a weak argument.

Actually I was talking about football was the death of the PAC when you narrowed it down to the CFP and the PAC's one semifinal win. When was the last NCAAF championship won by any team in the PAC? Without being vacated? Auburn has more wins and appearances in CGs than the entire PAC combined this century. We will probably finish fourth in our division and you could not beat us this year, yet will probably win the PAC. Other than the past and present, PAC football is bestest. :heh:

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I was talking about football was the death of the PAC when you narrowed it down to the CFP and the PAC's one semifinal win. When was the last NCAAF championship won by any team in the PAC? Without being vacated? Auburn has more wins and appearances in CGs than the entire PAC combined this century. We will probably finish fourth in our division and you could not beat us this year, yet will probably win the PAC. Other than the past and present, PAC football is bestest. :heh:

USC has the 2003 and 2004 NCs according to the NCAA.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Enjoy the toilet bowl this December.

EllisHugh

Hoopla Cash
$ 481.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban sure looked good at Michigan State
And this will level the field for teams like Michigan state. Schools are still limited on how many players they can have.

Do you guys think every player worth a shit will go to one team? It isn’t possible. Not only is there not room but “top” players aren’t going to sit behind others for years.

Instead of Michigan state having to spend 100 million on a ridiculous facility they drop a few thousand to the right players to attract them.

I think is pretty simple but some are trying to make it seem complicated.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how they can dictate when you get paid if you are allowed to profit. Honestly that doesnt matter because if I can go to OK and get a deal making say the max vs. a shoe deal at OR making the max per month and a hefty check waiting when I leave, which do I chose. I can tell you I am a Duck.

You're still profiting. There will be rules. In the motion picture industry they hold on to a percentage of young actors money and give it to them later. If they set up some rule you can either go by it or not play college football. You guys act like it will be a free for all. 98% of players aren't going to be getting anything to write home about. Like most of you believe , a scholarship is something and most will take just that to go to college and play. Some will be able to make some money during summers and a select few (The Tuas and Hurts and Sunshine types) will make some commercials and endorse a shoe or shampoo.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC has the 2003 and 2004 NCs according to the NCAA.

So the NCAA awarded the BCS Championship to the loser of the BCSCG instead of Texas who won? Amazing. I also guess that the NCAA did not vacate all USC wins in 03 …

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the NCAA awarded the BCS Championship to the loser of the BCSCG instead of Texas who won? Amazing. I also guess that the NCAA did not vacate all USC wins in 03 …

Please stop posting. Texas had nothing to do with the 2004 BCSNCG. You continue to expose yourself as a moron.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I would love to believe this, it just isn’t the case. Phil Knight didn’t get rich off of Oregon Football. He got rich off of marketing top athletes. He gifts money to the UofO, his alma mater. It would be a terrible business decision to only sign contracts with kids for UofO.
I didn't say only. He does not sign with any HS or college kids. So some of the money he donates goes directly to the kids to build a better team.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy the toilet bowl this December.

I want to hear more about the PAC's NCAAF championships … especially details about the 2004 USC NCAA championship presentation after they lost to Texas in the BCSCG.

EDIT: should be 05

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're still profiting. There will be rules. In the motion picture industry they hold on to a percentage of young actors money and give it to them later. If they set up some rule you can either go by it or not play college football. You guys act like it will be a free for all. 98% of players aren't going to be getting anything to write home about. Like most of you believe , a scholarship is something and most will take just that to go to college and play. Some will be able to make some money during summers and a select few (The Tuas and Hurts and Sunshine types) will make some commercials and endorse a shoe or shampoo.
Mr Phil can build a better team with contracts even if they have to wait til after college for the bulk. It doesn't have to be millions for all but something for all since he is already giving to the school to help with faculities and such to improve the team. Now he can improve with direct money.