• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA reducing sanctions against PSU

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the ncaa had the jurisdiction to punish psu. However, they didnt folliw their own rules. They didnt even conduct an investigation. Emmert directly entered into negotiations with psu concerning punishments, then later while discussing the miami case said he had no authority to enter discussions concerning punishments. ill be surprised if more punishment is not relieved.

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the ncaa had the jurisdiction to punish psu. However, they didnt folliw their own rules. They didnt even conduct an investigation. Emmert directly entered into negotiations with psu concerning punishments, then later while discussing the miami case said he had no authority to enter discussions concerning punishments. ill be surprised if more punishment is not relieved.

If bowl games are restored.. I will lose my mind

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you not understand the difference between someone who witnessed a crime and someone who is reporting 3rd hand?

McQueary reported what he saw to JoePa. According to both Pennsylvania state law and PSU policy, JoePa was required to report it to his superiors, which he did. His superiors were required by law to take action.

Once he reported it to his superiors. JoePa was out of the loop because he didn't actually see anything. The only way that anyone would have had any more contact with JoePa re: is if they needed more clarification on what he was told. Even if JoePa asked, his superiors and/or the investigators could not give him any information, it would have been illegal.

If & only if it is discovered that Joe told Curley & Schultz to cover up the mess then people can have justfied rage against Jo (I know I will). People shouldn't hold their breath on that one though. Before people start quoting the Freeh report (which Im sure everyone hasnt) they will find that "coach" was sandusky, not paterno and curley & schultz kept sandusky up on the original investigation. Thats the only "created" evidence that ive seen that wold show joe had knowledge of the original investigation & what the media hung him with.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure TB will volunteer to help you look for it if you do. :D

when_my_crush_seems_slightly_interested-19748.gif

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line, This is a serial sexual predator that was allowed to run rampant on campus.

He had a foundation for kids and he used the Penn State Football Program as a tool to commit his heinous acts. And as a direct result, kids lives were ruined.

I am sensitive to the PSU alumni, fans, current staff, and players. But this was hidden to protect the football program.

The hiding of these crimes had everything to do with protecting the image of Penn State football above the protection of children.

I don't care if no laws were broken by Joe Pa. I don't care if the NCAA doesn't have anything written in their law books and it isn't in their jurisdiction.

Lets step outside the box and take this for what it was. A sanction levied against Penn State that had ties to hiding the most outrageous and disgusting crime in the sports history.

Punishing the wrong people is the problem. If someone commits r*pe on a street, you don't just up and arrest and punish the next group of people.

This is a criminal manner and those who were responsible should be dealt with as criminals. That means the person who is guilty, which has been dealt with that way. And if anyone else was guilty in terms of a cover up and what not, they should be handled criminally as well.

The group of players and fans had nothing to do with what happened. Yet they are the ones being punished. It's not right and it's the same problem as usual with the NCAA when it comes to these things. The ONLY reason Sandusky has received any punishment at all is not because of the NCAA, it's because of the justice system. And the ONLY way anyone involved in a coverup will be punished is not because of the NCAA, it will again be because of the justice system. The NCAA just punishes a bunch of people who don't deserve to be punished and had nothing to do with it.

I don't see how anyone can look at the group of current football players and tell them they deserve to be punished over this. I really don't.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punishing the wrong people is the problem. If someone commits r*pe on a street, you don't just up and arrest and punish the next group of people.

This is a criminal manner and those who were responsible should be dealt with as criminals. That means the person who is guilty, which has been dealt with that way. And if anyone else was guilty in terms of a cover up and what not, they should be handled criminally as well.

The group of players and fans had nothing to do with what happened. Yet they are the ones being punished. It's not right and it's the same problem as usual with the NCAA when it comes to these things. The ONLY reason Sandusky has received any punishment at all is not because of the NCAA, it's because of the justice system. And the ONLY way anyone involved in a coverup will be punished is not because of the NCAA, it will again be because of the justice system. The NCAA just punishes a bunch of people who don't deserve to be punished and had nothing to do with it.

I don't see how anyone can look at the group of current football players and tell them they deserve to be punished over this. I really don't.

I understand your feelings, but the punishment against the school was for LOIC. Unfortunately, the fallout of that punishment lands in the laps of the innocent, also. It is no different than a mother's son gets convicted of murder. Do you not think that his crime ends up punishing her, also. How much do you think she hurts? But she did nothing. Everything in life is just not fair. Sorry.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What you are missing is the OP's lynch mob mentality, the same mentality that gripped the NCAA as soon as the allegations were made public. They had to punish someone, and severely, and it had to be NOW. So they threw every stone they had at the entire PSU organization, not accounting for who was actually involved.

Don't get me wrong... Sandusky should be "visited" every night by the the smelliest, most vicious, most sadistic inmates that can be found in the penal system. ANYONE who helped cover up his crimes or help facilitate them in any way should spend time in jail, face heavy fines, and pay restitution to his victims.
But let the people who actually know how to investigate these crimes do their job, and let the families sue everyone involved until their eyes bleed.

About jurisdictions, I see it this way:
If I was convicted of aggravated assault and sentenced to 2 years in prison, my credit union can't confiscate my land and property to punish me as well. Sure, I may be sued and it be taken anyway, but the bank doesn't have the authority to do it.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your feelings, but the punishment against the school was for LOIC. Unfortunately, the fallout of that punishment lands in the laps of the innocent, also. It is no different than a mother's son gets convicted of murder. Do you not think that his crime ends up punishing her, also. How much do you think she hurts? But she did nothing. Everything in life is just not fair. Sorry.

Not to mention the players could have transferred without being required to sit for a whole season. They aren't victims, they just came to play football.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So lets say, again. There is this company that has done business for a long time. And it that time period they had an employee robbing people blind. He continued to get away with it, handing out a business card representing said business. He even wore company logo'd shirts and drove a company vehicle.

He wasn't monitored close enough by his superiors at the company. Authorities found out about the thief and put him in jail.

Question: Is this business responsible for not monitoring their employee better that robbed people for YEARS?

I say the company is absolutely responsible for that employee.

Now, the monster wasn't exactly an employee. But none the less, he may as well have been as he had access to everything Penn State Football.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So lets say, again. There is this company that has done business for a long time. And it that time period they had an employee robbing people blind. He continued to get away with it, handing out a business card representing said business. He even wore company logo'd shirts and drove a company vehicle.

He wasn't monitored close enough by his superiors at the company. Authorities found out about the thief and put him in jail.

Question: Is this business responsible for not monitoring their employee better that robbed people for YEARS?

I say the company is absolutely responsible for that employee.

Now, the monster wasn't exactly an employee. But none the less, he may as well have been as he had access to everything Penn State Football.

Is every employee and member/customer of that company responsible? Or is it just the people within the company of authority who are responsible.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's no where near the same as a mother and son thing. You are not directly applying the punishment to the mother when the son is convicted of mother. In this case, you are directly applying it to the equivilant of the mother.

Like may not be fair, but that's not an excuse just to do whatever. If it was, we wouldn't have a justice system to being with and Sandusky would still be free.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is every employee and member/customer of that company responsible? Or is it just the people within the company of authority who are responsible.
If you put someone in charge of the company and they break the rules the whole company can be punished and fined.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you put someone in charge of the company and they break the rules the whole company can be punished and fined.

They can be sued. Penn St can be sued as well.