• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA Considering Canceling 2020 College Football Season

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drove my grandson to James Madison University last July for a recruiting camp visit and three day camp for HS seniors. The entire football team was on campus and working out at 8:30 in the morning on one of the practice fields. Their first game was September 4th.
We talked with one of the players and he said that the team went home for three weeks when classes ended and were back on campus in mid-June. Most schools will have their first games the first Saturday in September because most schools don't start classes until the day after Labor Day. Some schools do start earlier because they end classes the second week of December and finals are the first week.

I have a feeling that education is going to get a real close look-see by alumni and boards at schools. Football may be a money maker for them, but the classes that cost the school money and have three students attending per semester just might not have a place when the doors are reopened. Especially if there a professor making $120K and he's got a graduate assistant teaching the class while he's on a research project in Bimini for three years.
Maybe...if those classes can't be done remotely. If they can be done remotely, then it's all getting paid for still. We still dont' know what the recession will do to enrollment at schools. As long as enrollment remains about the same, the academic side probably won't feel the same impact. Most of the time it's an entirely separate budget than athletics. Even if the academic side is subsidizing athletics, it's usually just a line in the student's tuition.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that schools cannot charge the tuit
Maybe...if those classes can't be done remotely. If they can be done remotely, then it's all getting paid for still. We still dont' know what the recession will do to enrollment at schools. As long as enrollment remains about the same, the academic side probably won't feel the same impact.

Schools cannot charge the same tuition for online classes. If the University of Phoenix can charge what they do and make money and hand out a degree that is respected and acknowledged because people work and earn them, then full time studies will have to be discounted. The schools also make a tidy profit from Board and Room.

The biggest problem will be putting those online programs together and providing a quality education at the same time. The big schools aren't ready for 50,000 students to be at online classes.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Schools cannot charge the same tuition for online classes. If the University of Phoenix can charge what they do and make money and hand out a degree that is respected and acknowledged because people work and earn them, then full time studies will have to be discounted. The schools also make a tidy profit from Board and Room.

The biggest problem will be putting those online programs together and providing a quality education at the same time. The big schools aren't ready for 50,000 students to be at online classes.
Is university of Phoenix still a real thing??

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure they can. UM isn't going to decrease tuition costs for Spring/Summer term. Ultimately it's the access to the faculty and resources that cost the money. It's that your class at Stanford is being taught by the guy who invented X, and at the University of Phoenix you're being taught by the guy who learned what person X did. Whether you're a student sitting in a classroom or in a virtual classroom is irrelevant to most studies.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Learn the banjo!!!!
I know my limits...and musically, they showed up early in life.

My elementary music teacher told me I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket so I shouldn't plan on a music career.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be a blow to the economy if no college football is played
Much of the economy is already blown. Just FB messaged with one of my classmates younger sister who is a flight attendant for Southwest Airlines. She said they just landed at La Guardia in NYC and dropped off 11 passengers. Picked up 7 for the flight to St. Louis. She said La Gruardia air traffic control told them they normally manage 38 flights between 6:00-7:00 am. Today they had 4.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's the real deal. Schools want that money but don't want to dish it out in a potential lawsuit either. Since these are "student-athletes" I doubt that the players sign a waiver since they really ain't getting paid now that the recruitment is done.

I think the NFL can do this, since they do pay their players and can have them sign a consent/waiver form.

Interesting times.

Quick Question, if the 2020 season is indeed pushed back to the spring of 2021, does this mean the recruiting class of 2021 will be eligible to play immediately if they are Early enrollees? Or will they be allowed to practice but cannot play games until the regular 2021 season starts in the summer? I bet a school like tosu would want it's two top RBs in 2021 to be eligible to play in a postsponed 2020 season next spring.

Interesting question, one that only the NCAA could decide. I'm betting the answer will be no.

BTW: I concur on the NFL. They likely would be asked to sign a waver. Those that do can play, and those that don't won't be playing.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do they do without fans a lot of these college towns depend on fans so the local businesses can make money?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do they do without fans a lot of these college towns depend on fans so the local businesses can make money?

good point. fans and students.

Ames, Iowa comes to mind. Bloomington, Indiana. West Lafayette, Indiana. Manhattan, Kansas. morgantown, West Virginia.

No idea on Lubbock, Texas, but I would think the double whammy of low oil prices and no students would be killing that place. I know a lot of O&G companies are either in bankruptcy or going to be filing for bankruptcy.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's fucking april and no one (even the so-called experts) knows how this is going to play out over the next several months.

shit, by June we could have zero deaths daily from this and we're going to continue to just shut everything down for 12 more months?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These sports media heads talking about doomsday scenarios for the upcoming football season or discussing different ways to get the season in, like no fans, or moving the season to start in February, etc, is just them trying to generate talk and relevance in their work in a time of no sports.

Talking about cancelling football when it is only April, is generating a ton of buzz and gives reason for them to talk sports, because there are no sports currently going on. They have nothing to talk about, so lets create something to talk about.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they cancel the college football season can we at least have one day of televised cage fights staged on the I-35 bridge crossing the Red River? There’d be a contestant from Texas and a contestant from Oklahoma in each match. For instance, a match between a couple of opioid-addled oil field workers. Another match between two meth bunnies. A couple of bull dykes who weigh at least 250 lbs. each. Maybe a couple of streets bums. Titty dancers, drug dealers, death row inmates……hell, the sky’s the limit.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they cancel the college football season can we at least have one day of televised cage fights staged on the I-35 bridge crossing the Red River? There’d be a contestant from Texas and a contestant from Oklahoma in each match. For instance, a match between a couple of opioid-addled oil field workers. Another match between two meth bunnies. A couple of bull dykes who weigh at least 250 lbs. each. Maybe a couple of streets bums. Titty dancers, drug dealers, death row inmates……hell, the sky’s the limit.
sounds like a typical day at the GW Zoo

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like a typical day at the GW Zoo

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's fucking april and no one (even the so-called experts) knows how this is going to play out over the next several months.

shit, by June we could have zero deaths daily from this and we're going to continue to just shut everything down for 12 more months?

as opposed to listening to the other group of experts who said this would be minimal and it's just the flu? The April weather would make it vanish..even though Australians were getting it in the summer?

I hope there is a miracle cure but virus vaccines take a lot of research, testing to get right. Thinking that the love of sports would make that speed up, is crazy.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good point. fans and students.

Ames, Iowa comes to mind. Bloomington, Indiana. West Lafayette, Indiana. Manhattan, Kansas. morgantown, West Virginia.

No idea on Lubbock, Texas, but I would think the double whammy of low oil prices and no students would be killing that place. I know a lot of O&G companies are either in bankruptcy or going to be filing for bankruptcy.
I live smack dab between Lubbock, Midland-Odessa, Abilene and San Angelo. Let's just say things ain't too swift right now. Double whammy with the Russia/Saudi spat and COVID 19. But we've been through booms/busts before. And most O&Gs that will survive ain't willing to pump/drill/repair anything until the prices get back to the point where it is worth their while. They'll just do minimums and/or sit.