• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA postpones Lakes/Clips

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have heard - they Left Irvine around 9:07 or so, The pilot is licensed to fly in special circumstances and obtained permission to fly by sight and not rely on the radar - due to the fog - he had to circle before entering into the jurisdiction of the air space near Calabasas, for about 15 minutes, then was granted permission to fly into the cloud, he was flying to low and advised of that, which appears to be the reason he tried to ascend from 1200 to 1800 feet before crashing into the mountain. At least that is the way I understand it. In my opinion, they shouldn't have ever allowed the pilot to fly in Fog. I know over the years I have witnessed some horrible accidents, especially north of Bakersfield, Ca. In several cases over the years - 15 car pile ups due to the fog

Kobe Bryant crash investigation: Helicopter was flying low in fog

I was thinking they said it took about 15 minutes to go from the John Wayne Airport to the area past Van Nuys, that's when they encountered heavy fog, had to circle for about 15 minutes or so which puts the wreck with after 9:37 or so.

Exactly! If they grounded their own police helicopters and most likely all emergency helicopters then why the hell was he allowed to fly?

El Goyo

handi gave me my cool av. Derrp. Oof.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! If they grounded their own police helicopters and most likely all emergency helicopters then why the hell was he allowed to fly?
Fame & celebrity. No doubt in my mind anyone involved knew it was AirKobe. Maybe some people did say to ground them only to be told off.

“Do you know who that is?! It’s Kobe, as in The Mamba. Nobody grounds the Mamba!”

El Goyo

handi gave me my cool av. Derrp. Oof.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! He was a huge part of the league and still has an impact on the league!

I saw this:
sub-buzz-598-1580158793-5.jpg

It’s in India.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right on, I said to myself from the beginning that being allowed to fly in the fog was simply wrong

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fame & celebrity. No doubt in my mind anyone involved knew it was AirKobe. Maybe some people did say to ground them only to be told off.

“Do you know who that is?! It’s Kobe, as in The Mamba. Nobody grounds the Mamba!”
You do if you want to live. I dont dont think that was the case though. The pilot was licensed to fly under special visual rules and was given clearance by traffic control. If they had said no way, Kobe couldnt have went by copter

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the team doesn’t want to play now.
The fact is the Entire Lakers organization and fan base were to upset to play and i think Kobe would have understood. Gigi was a child and not old enough to make that call. The mature and responsible adults made the right call about one game out of 82 games

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure that's what happened but there needs a major overhaul to this. If emergency services are grounded... EVERYTHING should be regardless of who said person is

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do if you want to live. I dont dont think that was the case though. The pilot was licensed to fly under special visual rules and was given clearance by traffic control. If they had said no way, Kobe couldnt have went by copter
Yes that was the case and I gst it but you're telling me emergency personal pilots can't/aren't trained like that pilot was either?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that was the case and I gst it but you're telling me emergency personal pilots can't/aren't trained like that pilot was either?
I would to think they are and do when it comes to saving lives

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Kobe would definitely have wanted the game to go on, there isn't a single person in Staples - players or fans, that would be able to fully concentrate on the game.

Give them a couple of extra days to grieve, talk to someone, spend time with loved ones.

There's more to life than basketball.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
govt workers are lazy or better unions to get rules allowing for the grounding......you pick

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet they were shut down and Kobe's pilot was allowed to fly, makes no sense
If even the emergency crews were shut down, then the rest of them including Kobe's should have been grounded in my opinion. From the beginning when they said FOG, My mind said RED ALERT, Fog, should have been grounded because iv seen to many accidents triggered by fog and careless drivers and it seems to me more celebrities have died because they use private planes. Harry Snyder, former CEO of In N Out was one, Michael Jackson using a private doctor and others. Some things are better in larger companies that have checks and safety control that is monitored carefully

Last edited:

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this cancelling of the game. First and foremost the Mamba mentality would be to play a basketball game. All the teams that had to play games on Sunday, and Monday have all said they played because they knew Kobe would want them to play and want basketball to be played.

How do you honor a guy like Kobe Bryant? You play the game he loved and mastered. You put it on full display. Lakesr/Clippers could be that showcase. LA vs LA, everyone comes together, and enjoys the game in the house Kobe helped build.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Clipper players purple Laker unis, Lakers wear their yellow or whites.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard the explanation this morning.

They said that the police and sheriff helicopters were grounded because they are smaller and don't have near the technology in them that Kobe's helicopter had.

Essentially, it's the difference between a Cessna and Boeing 777

Additionally, they are mainly used for observation from the air...searches, police chases, etc. So they really aren't much use in a thick fog.

It seems like it may have been a mechanical issue (at least partially) because there were a couple of witnesses who said they heard it "sputtering" before it crashed.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with this cancelling of the game. First and foremost the Mamba mentality would be to play a basketball game. All the teams that had to play games on Sunday, and Monday have all said they played because they knew Kobe would want them to play and want basketball to be played.

How do you honor a guy like Kobe Bryant? You play the game he loved and mastered. You put it on full display. Lakesr/Clippers could be that showcase. LA vs LA, everyone comes together, and enjoys the game in the house Kobe helped build.

I get what you're saying. But it's a little different for the Lakers and Clippers, especially the Lakers.

Kobe spent his entire 20 year career as a Laker. He was 17 when they got him. Jeanie Buss probably feels almost like she helped raise him.

The Lakers GM, Rob Pelinka, was one of Kobe's closest friends. Many of the Lakers players were friends with him and competed with and against him for years.

This is a loss that effects the entire organization.

So, while Kobe would probably call them soft. lol

Postponing it seems like the right thing to do.