• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Opens Investigation

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like there was an agreement between the 2 sides, but some dumbass decided to spill the beans before anyone talked to Bogdanovich.

Not sure what the rule is about negotiating between teams before the player is allowed to negotiate with the team he would be going to.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like there was an agreement between the 2 sides, but some dumbass decided to spill the beans before anyone talked to Bogdanovich.

Not sure what the rule is about negotiating between teams before the player is allowed to negotiate with the team he would be going to.
A reporter decided to spill the beans prematurely.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was the Patriots of 2015, there would be 35 threads dedicated to it.

But it's the Kings and Bucks and hardly anyone gives a ratshit. Then someone in New York who's pissed because the Knicks have 14 forwards on the roster and dumped $40.5M in salaries yesterday to go after Gordon Hayward started to boil over. Three minutes after Hayward opted out, the Knicks were calling and making cap space available. "Hey Gordon, Come to New York and we'll give you five years and $200M."

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL but they were stupid enough to get caught. That's the difference here
Like I said, a reporter spilled the beans and now both teams look foolish.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is undoubtedly cheating.
Both teams should lose 1st round picks for this.

Honestly, I'm a little confused as to what the big deal is.

I assume that teams negotiate trades, talk to agents of players who will be FA's before their allowed to, etc. all the time. Then, if they think they can reach an agreement, they talk to the players. Doesn't necessarily make sense to involve a player that may not know he's on the trading block before you absolutely have to.

In fact, I remember a couple of agents and "unnamed GM's" criticizing Mitch Kupchak when he was still the Lakers GM because he refused to contact anyone prior to the exact moment FA/trade seasons opened. Pretty sure all of those FA deals that get announced within 5 minutes of FA opening weren't negotiated that quickly. lol

I know the league has to do something for appearances sake. But it seems like it's one of those things that everyone does. I'd be willing to bet that there have been plenty of trades that were agreed to, but ended up being scrapped when a player with the option said no, but we just never heard about it because everyone kept their mouth shut. In this case, someone didn't.

Reactions: GNG

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A reporter decided to spill the beans prematurely.

If memory serves, it was either Woj or Shams that reported it. I doubt either of them reported it without the ok of the person they got the info from. They get the stories they do ahead of everyone else because teams/players know they can be trusted.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves, it was either Woj or Shams that reported it. I doubt either of them reported it without the ok of the person they got the info from. They get the stories they do ahead of everyone else because teams/players know they can be trusted.
These reporters want to be the first to report a big story.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm a little confused as to what the big deal is.

I assume that teams negotiate trades, talk to agents of players who will be FA's before their allowed to, etc. all the time. Then, if they think they can reach an agreement, they talk to the players. Doesn't necessarily make sense to involve a player that may not know he's on the trading block before you absolutely have to.

In fact, I remember a couple of agents and "unnamed GM's" criticizing Mitch Kupchak when he was still the Lakers GM because he refused to contact anyone prior to the exact moment FA/trade seasons opened. Pretty sure all of those FA deals that get announced within 5 minutes of FA opening weren't negotiated that quickly. lol

I know the league has to do something for appearances sake. But it seems like it's one of those things that everyone does. I'd be willing to bet that there have been plenty of trades that were agreed to, but ended up being scrapped when a player with the option said no, but we just never heard about it because everyone kept their mouth shut. In this case, someone didn't.
If it was a Philadelphia team, it's no big deal.
If it was a non-Philadelphia team, it's a big deal.
If it's Dallas, NY, Boston, LA..... they should lose everything.

See. Perfect logic!

:suds:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL but they were stupid enough to get caught. That's the difference here

These things don’t really upset me that much, but it seems like every time anyone does anything wrong in sports, there is someone saying that it happens all the time and that it’s only those who get caught. It happens in bounty gate, steroids, etc.

And they say that it incentivizes not being caught... but I feel this is true about everything in the world. If someone does something wrong, the emphasis is not being caught. I realize that some things are “done by everyone” and some things aren’t, like murder. And both do not want to be caught.

But it seems like the only reason to stop things that everyone does is to either change the rules or to punish those who are caught strong enough that someone who might not get caught to think not to do it.

I mean, think about it. If everyone does something and only a few get caught and when they get caught it’s a small fine because everyone does it, then there’s really no reason to. Besides public scrutiny. But people still watch and TV deals get done and individually people get contracts. So there’s no reason to stop, especially if the fines reduced to basically nothing. But I also understand that no one wants to draconian system.

I would say an exception to this is if they could somehow find everyone that did it and everyone there gets a smaller punishment. And then more stringent efforts to curtail and catch.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These reporters want to be the first to report a big story.

Most do and those are the ones who get fed the shit stories that teams put out as smokescreens. But there are a few (Woj and Shams among them) who get the real stories because they don't report them without the okay of their source.