• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’d think in 2022 you’d be in the loop. r*pe and sexual assault rarely gets reported at all for many of the reasons I stated in an earlier post. Additionally, different people react differently to trauma. Based on the earlier conversation there was disagreement as to whether or not what Watson did was sexual assault. Maybe some victims didn’t even process what happened being a crime at first. Who knows but nobody reporting anything to police isn’t as odd as you make it out to be. Most women who experience these things say after word that they felt like they wouldn’t be believed.
But how many have claimed "it's not about the money" but called an attorney and not the police?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a 180 degree turn from where you were earlier. You offered the idea that Watson was leveraged by the NFL to settle these cases in return for a lighter suspension. Doesn’t that mean that time is on the side of the accusers? Watson has been leveraged into moving off his decision to settle. What’s been published in the report about Miami kicking the tires on Watson at the deadline was that the parameters of a settlement were around 100,000. He just signed a guaranteed contract. The accusers know all of this through their attorneys. It’s way more likely the settlement is in the 100k range. There is likely to also be different layers of settlements. I’m projecting something like this would have two or even three tiers of payout. Let’s call 100,000 an average. That’s likely 2.2 million + to make this go away. Not exactly a small settlement.
You are kind of having a tough time keeping up here. That or we were having a rational discussion and not arguing was uncomfortable for you. I say this knowing it's unlikely you own your mistakes.........

First, you were the one who claimed Watson was the one who didn't want the NDA. I only offered a reason as to - IF TRUE - why he might not want one. Second, all I said was MAYBE the NFL wanted him to settle in order to put it behind them and, yes, get a lighter sentence. Neither opinion contradicts the other.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And on top of that add in the fact that the profession has a seedy side and they would be even less likely to come forward.
I'd be less likely to come forward if my story was as unbelievable as some of those women.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They talk to people.

Not enough evidence to convict does not mean there isn’t enough evidence to hold him accountable in other ways.

What Hunt did was bad.

But it was once.

This is 24 cases. It is a big deal.
BOOM.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about Pete Rose in baseball. These leagues have big interest at stake with gambling. Legal sports gambling is going to drive the fan interest in this next era of sports. We may not agree with the length but I can see where the motivation lies. These leagues can’t allow for the perception that their shit is rigged or compromised in any way, so going forward you’ll see more Ridley like situations in major sports. If a player has a transgression in this realm the league will come down very hard.

This.

Anything with gambling gets absolutely crushed. Even though I think the fact he was on IR should have been taken into consideration.

It seems silly when comparing it to much worse stuff but gambling has to be handled harshly for the legitimacy of the games played.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a real problem with this, slippery slope for false accusations (not that these are necessarily false, but per our laws, unproveable is treated as false). Plurality doesn't preempt burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Per our laws.

This is where you are getting messed up.

The NFL is a private organization. If a player does something that embarrasses the league, they can punish the player as they see fit.

The NFL can’t make Watson do time, but they can sure as hell prevent him from playing football again.

And you and I both know if he did nothing wrong there wouldn’t be 24 women saying he did.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly to me the 66 therapists in less than a year number says more to me than that 24 number. It’s obvious what he was looking for, and that he got careless.

I'm not sure why that was some bombshell. Clearly with 24 cases there were many others who didn't press forward with anything.

If anything the fact there are 42 others gives a better indication of what his behavior and intentions looked like.

I think he was careful to not force himself physically thinking keeping it largely vocal was okay.

Clearly it wasn't and isn't. I can't say enough how weird it is he chose this route to court women.

Really fucking weird.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a few were as drastic as we've been discussing, re: masturbating and such.

I keep thinking about Louis CK when it comes to Watson. I don't recall Louis getting anything legal either. But whipping your junk out and doing your thing is really strange stuff.

The only difference is he did it more with friends and peers rather than strangers.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most old heads you’re out of touch on this and many other issues. An unwanted masturbation performed in front of someone is a sexual assault. Period. End of that story.
Has anyone said it's not? But most who have this happen to them would likely leave the area and certainly not get close enough to be squirted. Maybe she made it up?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and most who have this happen to them would likely leave the area and certainly not get close enough to be squirted.

Maybe he's the most proficient masterbator in history

You never know!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between that many coming forward on their own and the lawyer issuing a cattle call essentially, which almost guarantees some exaggeration at minimum.
Correct.....if you were in a room alone with Watson nothing to lose by shooting your shot.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there isn't evidence, what does the NFL use to define their punishment? Just being accused? Pretty weak. Hunt got 8 games with evidence.

I seem to remember some douche punching his pregnant baby-momma in the stomach and his only punishment was dropping in the draft.

Tyreke Hill broke his kids arm.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why that was some bombshell. Clearly with 24 cases there were many others who didn't press forward with anything.

If anything the fact there are 42 others gives a better indication of what his behavior and intentions looked like.

I think he was careful to not force himself physically thinking keeping it largely vocal was okay.

Clearly it wasn't and isn't. I can't say enough how weird it is he chose this route to court women.

Really fucking weird.
Man that last part is so true. Makes little to no sense and no doubt he needs therapy/help

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man that last part is so true. Makes little to no sense and no doubt he needs therapy/help

It's a sense of entitlement or even brashness athletes sometimes have. Like he no doubt had success a time or two and instead of just hitting those girls up he needed variety and instead put his career at risk.

It's a wildly stupid thing to do. He no doubt deserves a suspension. I think a year is strong but could go with it. But anything more is fucking insanity.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a sense of entitlement or even brashness athletes sometimes have. Like he no doubt had success a time or two and instead of just hitting those girls up he needed variety and instead put his career at risk.

It's a wildly stupid thing to do. He no doubt deserves a suspension. I think a year is strong but could go with it. But anything more is fucking insanity.
Unless there is more that is fact based a year seems like a bit much but agree it could be justified.