• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2006 the Chargers defense was 7th in scoring allowed.

In 2007 they were 5th.

In 2008 they were 11th.

In 2009 they were 11th.

In 2010 they were 10th.

In 2011 they were 22nd.

In 2012 they were 16th.

In 2013 they were 11th.

In 2014 they were 13th.

In 2015 they were 21st.

In 2016 they were 29th.

In 2017 they were 3rd.

In 2018 they were 8th.

In 2019 they were 14th.

During the Rivers career they had a pretty good defense most of the time.

Not horrible ones like you claim.

I don’t feel like looking up the data, but scoring probably isn’t the best way to measure here.

In his prime, Rivers was famous for his clock management. He would lead the Chargers on 15+ play clock draining drives while the opposing QB sat and watched.

At least some of the “low scoring defense” is directly attributable to Rivers and the way the offense played.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t feel like looking up the data, but scoring probably isn’t the best way to measure here.

In his prime, Rivers was famous for his clock management. He would lead the Chargers on 15+ play clock draining drives while the opposing QB sat and watched.

At least some of the “low scoring defense” is directly attributable to Rivers and the way the offense played.

Yeah scoring defense is a horrible way to judge a defense

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to be clear, I think Big Ben is still better. I'm arguing against "clearly" better, which insinuates that Ben was in another league from Rivers; they were both close in terms of talent and production. Playoff resume comparison just furthers the point that team success is not an accurate argumentative point either as it points back to management with the Steelers vs Chargers.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Business is booming as my boy AB love to say

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early on the vaccine was promoted as preventing serious illness or death, I'm just playing catch up here as that has now changed. SAS may very well have an underlying health condition. And I've been vocal that those in a particular risk profile should take the vaccine if it suits them; I've been more against blanket vaccine mandates. But in SAS situation, it's not helpful to promote the vaccine when it's clear as day you were still seriously ill which was one of the benefits of the vaccine.
It's very "American" to stump against vaccine mandates, but just remember that as industries continue to slow due to dried up supply chains and reduced work forces and their impacts upon the economy as a whole. Other countries would be ecstatic to get the vaccine availability we have here.

Expecting a vaccine from 2020 to anticipate a variant a year later is definitely moving the goal posts. Updated vaccines are in the works for the variants as they arise.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what changed is the omicron variant. Came along after the vaccines. As far as the vaccine mandates. Not getting into that topic as it doesn't really affect me at the the moment. I put a mask on when I got into stores only because some places require them.
It really is a small effort to put people at ease and limit the risk to some level.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to be clear, I think Big Ben is still better. I'm arguing against "clearly" better, which insinuates that Ben was in another league from Rivers; they were both close in terms of talent and production. Playoff resume comparison just furthers the point that team success is not an accurate argumentative point either as it points back to management with the Steelers vs Chargers.

Their stats are very similar across the board. What separates them is playoff success, which is more of a team stat (but QB play and leadership is a key cog).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because there is something that impacts the outcome of a game more than points scored/allowed?

No, but when you are comparing the quality of the supporting cast of 2 QBs, I don’t think scoring defense is necessarily the most telling metric.

Especially when 1 of those QBs is known for controlling time of possession.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but when you are comparing the quality of the supporting cast of 2 QBs, I don’t think scoring defense is necessarily the most telling metric.

You could also argue that it is the coaching staff that should be know for that time of possession stat, as well as having an effective run game. It's not like Rivers is out there like Jim Kelly calling his own plays.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very "American" to stump against vaccine mandates, but just remember that as industries continue to slow due to dried up supply chains and reduced work forces and their impacts upon the economy as a whole. Other countries would be ecstatic to get the vaccine availability we have here.

Expecting a vaccine from 2020 to anticipate a variant a year later is definitely moving the goal posts. Updated vaccines are in the works for the variants as they arise.

And, like the flu shots, it will become a guessing game as to which variant we need a shot for and hoping they guessed right.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could also argue that it is the coaching staff that should be know for that time of possession stat, as well as having an effective run game. It's not like Rivers is out there like Jim Kelly calling his own plays.

His play style is a hallmark though.

Extreme efficiency, short passes, get to 3rd and short and convert.

Not many better at playing that way than Rivers.

Can recall quite a few matchups against high scoring opponents where Manning/Mahomes type got 2 possessions in a half.

Because they Chargers had the ball.

Not going to allow a lot of points when the offense has the ball 60% of the game.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early on the vaccine was promoted as preventing serious illness or death, I'm just playing catch up here as that has now changed. SAS may very well have an underlying health condition. And I've been vocal that those in a particular risk profile should take the vaccine if it suits them; I've been more against blanket vaccine mandates. But in SAS situation, it's not helpful to promote the vaccine when it's clear as day you were still seriously ill which was one of the benefits of the vaccine.
Or maybe the vaccine prevented him from dying :noidea:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their stats are very similar across the board. What separates them is playoff success, which is more of a team stat (but QB play and leadership is a key cog).
Do we have an examples pointing towards Big Ben being a leader? His off the field issues lead me to believe that he's not exactly a leader. His SB wins were early on in his career and he had some elite defenses behind him.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, this is bullshit. Again, thinking that vaccines should be mandated across the board is idiotic. Not everyone needs them, and early on, they should've been positioned towards the elderly and people that are in high-risk. Look at prime athletes right now, and those are people that are not in need of the vaccine and are highly unlikely to be seriously ill or die from Covid.

The supply chain issues that are plaguing this country aren't from Covid. What you're seeing is a reduction in the workforce that was also aided to unemployment benefits where for a lot of fields, it made more sense collecting unemployment then going to work.

Your latter point is my exact reasoning for not mandating vaccines. It was proven on that this virus circulates in animals, and as a result would have mutations. I've said early on that Covid is endemic, not a pandemic. You're always going to have variants. The pharma industry attempting to catch up with these variants will be moot as by the time it's rolled out in March (their expected release for Omicron), most of the general population will have already had that variant and have gained natural immunity.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are we really comparing the Steelers over the last decade to the Chargers and saying that both organizations were ran equal?

I'm glad you're bringing this up.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we really comparing the Steelers over the last decade to the Chargers and saying that both organizations were ran equal?

I'm glad you're bringing this up.

I am certainly not trying to compare the organizations. Really not much of a comparison.

Chargers aren’t WFT Cleveland Brown level bad, but they certainly aren’t a top NFL organization.

Pittsburgh is.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am certainly not trying to compare the organizations. Really not much of a comparison.

Chargers aren’t WFT Cleveland Brown level bad, but they certainly aren’t a top NFL organization.

Pittsburgh is.
Snyder should sell, Jerry Jones should sell...

My opinion, though...:lol: