• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure. Near .500 team with one of the lowest payrolls in the league. couldn't be a contender if they tripled the payroll.

why you are who you are.

Priceless comment by you.

That is not the comment I am pushing back on.

You said they had a contender quality pitching staff implying their pitching staff is far greater than it actually is.

They don’t, unless they also have an elite offense.

I am who I am because I call out BS when I see it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I'd say you are not listening....this is how coaches leave in CFB these days. Really isn't much choice.

Yeah, coaches were already in a virtually impossible position as it is, especially at a blue blood school. The only way a successful coach is "allowed" to leave is if he retires. Even if he leaves for the NFL, there's a certain percentage of the fanbase that will trash him for it. Otherwise, it's either get fired, in which case they've likely been trashing you for a few seasons, or get trashed for leaving for what you feel is a better job for you.

The early signing period just makes it even more impossible.

Last edited:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You said they had a contender quality pitching staff implying their pitching staff is far greater than it actually is.

They do have a contender quality pitching staff. with a pathetic offense they were a .500 team. stands to reason if you tripled the payroll and greatly improved the offense we could contend.

You are who you are as you set your agenda and that's that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FFh6WrLXwAICdZc

lol

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,821.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree but you have to read the comment in detail. He basically said he didn't want them starting no trouble which they didn't. Just confused why this is being posted 2 days after the Nuggets and Heat played
Right?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

uhhh you guys arent talking about the Indians are you?

Shane Bieber was basically hurt all year- and he is arguably the best pitcher in the game.

Plesac and Civale are young and improving.

Cal Quintrell and McKenzie are super young and (especially Quintrell) were nails down the stretch.

Who has a better rotation in the AL?

White Sox have Giolito, Lynn which is good at the top I guess.

Yanks rotation is pretty sucky beside of course Cole.

Houston might have a better rotation if Verlander comes back and is good- McCullers, Valdez, Garcia, Urquidy is some nice depth----- but I think the vast majority would take the Tribe rotation.

I dont think you paid much attention to Quintrell and McKenzie- 2 former first round picks coming into their own.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do have a contender quality pitching staff. with a pathetic offense they were a .500 team. stands to reason if you tripled the payroll and greatly improved the offense we could contend.

You are who you are as you set your agenda and that's that.
with a pathetic offense, Bieber being hurt for 2/3rds of the year, Plesac being hurt for an extended period of time, Civale being hurt an extended period of time, Quintrell just joining the rotation in the 2nd half, and McKenzie getting over early struggles to be very good in August and September.

There is a strong argument to make the Tribe has the best rotation in the American League going into next year.

Bieber is just as good as anyone in the AL. In the AL? Either him or Cole. Thats it. End of conversation for best pitcher- and Cole struggled after the new rules came into effect.

Civale was performing extremely well until he got hurt. Plesac took a step back from the previous year- but his injuries had a lot to do with that. He never got in a rhythm.

Quintrell and McKenzie are as talented a duo of young pitchers in the AL. Last year was great for getting them stretched out and ready to take a bigger work load this upcoming year.

Quintrell especially looked great once he was put in the rotation. He finished with a 2.89 ERA and 150 IP. Once he got into the rotation full time at the beginning of July he was one of the best starters in the American League. Im not saying he is going to have a sub 2.50 ERA like he did from July on last year---- he will regress some- but Plesac should def. improve after a down/injury plagued year.

McKenzie showed why Keith Law had him as a top 15 prospect inall of baseball down the stretch when he threw some absolute gems.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have an ace and young guys who seem to be getting better. Quantril was close to elite last year. Might not be next season but seems to be at worse a very solid 2-3...like Civale. Is it what they had when Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Clevinger were here and at peak? Nope. But we were a .500 team with these guys.

And here's the kicker.....my comment implied what we could do IF the team spent league average. They are $70 mil (or more) under league average. If they feel like they need a better pitcher instead of a position player guess what they could do?
he obviously should not talk about baseball.

1. The "Guardians" have 2 of the top 20 (if not higher) players in baseball in Bieber and Jose.

2. They have a top 5 closer in Clause. Before Karinchak fell apart- he was one of the best setup men in baseball. They just need to get him more consistent--- if he can do for a season what he did for half of last year and the previous year- you have arguably the best 1-2 combo in any bullpen

3. Quintrell had a 2.89 era last year in 150 innings after being jerked around the bullpen- once he became a ful ltime starter he was one of the best pitchers in the AL. He will regress to the mean somewhat- but Plesac will in a positive direction as well.

4. Civale is easily a top notch #3 starter- if not a #2. His season was also derailed by injuries.

5. McKenzie is the wild card- he has legit ace stuff if he gets consistent- and he started getting consistent the last 2 months of the season. A reason Keith LAw had him as I think the 9th best prospect in baseball coming into the year.

They of course need hitting. They have 3 above average hitters- Jose of course, Franmil, and Rosario was pretty good. They need hitting- but they have some of that on the way in the minors and SHOULD (SHOULD) spend some money to fill a hole or two.

Considering all the injuries last year- going 80-82 was a small miracle. Just having Bieber, Civale, Plesac healthy would have gotten them to AT LEAST 87 wins.

If they can just upgrade the offense a little bit- and getting Karinchak right, they will contend for a WC. White Sox a lot of people think are one of the top 3 rosters in baseball- so division might be tough.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
forgot about Straw who was a very good leadoff man once they dealt for him.

Straw first off is a ++ defender.

in 60 games with the Tribe he had a .362 OBP and scored 42 runs. He is a legit center fielder.

C- Hedges- black hole offensively- but defensively one of the best--- they need a 2nd catcher that can hit a little bit badly- BADLY- catcher was insanely bad on offense last year
1B- is a black hole- Bradley showed some pop- but .294 obp aint cutting it.
2B- Gimenez regressed a ton from the previous year- but played pretty decently once he got called back up. Not giving up on him yet. Not worried about 2nd base with him and Freeman in the wings.
SS- Rosario played well. He is fine
3B- arguably the best in baseball
OF- CF is solid with Straw- you have your leadoff guy with a good OBP, speed, and great D
DH- Reyes was good- he was also hurt for a long stretch. he had an .850 OPS. Thats solid.

corner outfield and 1B. IF they could get a good corner outfielder and 1B they would be fine offensively if Gimenez lives up to his hype.

but the corner outfield spots and 1B are blackholes they need to fill

3B, CF, SS, DH have good players. 2B is a question but I dont want to give up on Gimenez that quick- and Freeman is waiting in the wings- arguably tribe's best prospect with a great bat.

1B, LF, RF need upgrades badly- esp. if they want to field a nothing at catcher offensively.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with a pathetic offense, Bieber being hurt for 2/3rds of the year, Plesac being hurt for an extended period of time, Civale being hurt an extended period of time, Quintrell just joining the rotation in the 2nd half, and McKenzie getting over early struggles to be very good in August and September.

There is a strong argument to make the Tribe has the best rotation in the American League going into next year.

Bieber is just as good as anyone in the AL. In the AL? Either him or Cole. Thats it. End of conversation for best pitcher- and Cole struggled after the new rules came into effect.

Civale was performing extremely well until he got hurt. Plesac took a step back from the previous year- but his injuries had a lot to do with that. He never got in a rhythm.

Quintrell and McKenzie are as talented a duo of young pitchers in the AL. Last year was great for getting them stretched out and ready to take a bigger work load this upcoming year.

Quintrell especially looked great once he was put in the rotation. He finished with a 2.89 ERA and 150 IP. Once he got into the rotation full time at the beginning of July he was one of the best starters in the American League. Im not saying he is going to have a sub 2.50 ERA like he did from July on last year---- he will regress some- but Plesac should def. improve after a down/injury plagued year.

McKenzie showed why Keith Law had him as a top 15 prospect inall of baseball down the stretch when he threw some absolute gems.
Most amazing thing is they are trading top pitchers every 4-5 years bc they don’t want to pay them (but it worked out bc of injuries lol). Their farm system evaluates pitching at an elite level. Even if they do have those great all-around offensive players at some point they will he gone. Even back in the day. Get a new owner like Dan Gilbert who will spend and this ballclub can be a contender. Like you said they were a contender with an average offense. They were a playoff team a below average and you could say a bad offense. Their lack of spending has hurt them for a long time, it’s sickening. Bieber coming back and hopefully getting back to form is huge…unfortunately Ramirez and Reyes is their entire offense

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he obviously should not talk about baseball.

1. The "Guardians" have 2 of the top 20 (if not higher) players in baseball in Bieber and Jose.

2. They have a top 5 closer in Clause. Before Karinchak fell apart- he was one of the best setup men in baseball. They just need to get him more consistent--- if he can do for a season what he did for half of last year and the previous year- you have arguably the best 1-2 combo in any bullpen

3. Quintrell had a 2.89 era last year in 150 innings after being jerked around the bullpen- once he became a ful ltime starter he was one of the best pitchers in the AL. He will regress to the mean somewhat- but Plesac will in a positive direction as well.

4. Civale is easily a top notch #3 starter- if not a #2. His season was also derailed by injuries.

5. McKenzie is the wild card- he has legit ace stuff if he gets consistent- and he started getting consistent the last 2 months of the season. A reason Keith LAw had him as I think the 9th best prospect in baseball coming into the year.

They of course need hitting. They have 3 above average hitters- Jose of course, Franmil, and Rosario was pretty good. They need hitting- but they have some of that on the way in the minors and SHOULD (SHOULD) spend some money to fill a hole or two.

Considering all the injuries last year- going 80-82 was a small miracle. Just having Bieber, Civale, Plesac healthy would have gotten them to AT LEAST 87 wins.

If they can just upgrade the offense a little bit- and getting Karinchak right, they will contend for a WC. White Sox a lot of people think are one of the top 3 rosters in baseball- so division might be tough.
This all started with me lamenting the fact our owner lacks a will to win (our payroll was around what the Mets will pay their new ace (or maybe their #2?). Pointed out if we only spent league average we could contend as we already had a pitching staff that could be a contender with some hitting....and raising payroll to league average would allow us to bring in at least 3-4 stud hitters (with money to spare).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys may just be talking about baseball for a while
Did you mean may NOT be due to the strike? I hope they lock them out long enough to straighten out the sport. Cap would be nice, but will never happen. I'd rather see a floor.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you mean may NOT be due to the strike? I hope they lock them out long enough to straighten out the sport. Cap would be nice, but will never happen. I'd rather see a floor.

Yeah I meant talking about it, not watching