• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that too.

I think it is the “just a game manager” part.

The best ones can manage the game, but they bring more to the table on top.

Baker isn’t in that category. At least not so far.
i mean, he brings accuracy (when he has an adult coaching him) and arm strength unless those are not something wanted on the table for a successful QB.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really believe most who use the term when speaking of Baker are saying it to praise him?

If so, that's comical.

It isn’t to praise him.

It isn’t to throw him under the bus either.

I even said he might be an elite game manager.

It absolutely is at least in part to check the irrational homers who do try to compare him to the top level guys.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it isn’t my definition either.

But take out the can’t make plays part and sounds a bit like Baker.
Baker has not made those around him better? He keeps getting Higgins paid every year. Won a bunch of games last year with him as his #2 WR, Hodge #3 and 6th round rookie #4.

Running game helps, of course, but his ability to throw downfield and stretch a D also helps the running game (2-1 without Chubb last season). I'd say he was very instrumental in wins against Cinci, Tennesse and before you say bad defenses also the Steelers (with a lot working against him). could have been against Bmore but he cannot play defense.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean, he brings accuracy (when he has an adult coaching him) and arm strength unless those are not something wanted on the table for a successful QB.

Those sound more like basic prerequisites to be an NFL QB to me.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t to praise him.

It isn’t to throw him under the bus either.

I even said he might be an elite game manager.

It absolutely is at least in part to check the irrational homers who do try to compare him to the top level guys.
You say the best of the best are game managers but use the term to "check him"?

Not sure who has called the guy overall elite and put him on level of Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers or Wilson (might have missed some).

Seems more irrational are his critics. They make up terms for him to rip him. some don't even apply to him or aren't really that bad . Another is a 1 read QB (which he isn't). Though, like game manager, one could look at this as a positive if it means he makes quick decisions. Of course, that is not why his critics call him that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker has not made those around him better? He keeps getting Higgins paid every year. Won a bunch of games last year with him as his #2 WR, Hodge #3 and 6th round rookie #4.

Running game helps, of course, but his ability to throw downfield and stretch a D also helps the running game (2-1 without Chubb last season). I'd say he was very instrumental in wins against Cinci, Tennesse and before you say bad defenses also the Steelers (with a lot working against him). could have been against Bmore but he cannot play defense.

Dude, I am done with this.

Last comment. Even last year, Cleveland had better offensive personnel than KC.

Much better run game, much better Oline. Can’t throw to the elite pass catchers if constantly under duress.

Yes, KC’s pass catchers are considerably better.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really believe most who use the term when speaking of Baker are saying it to praise him?

If so, that's comical.
I think it's an insult.

It was used, repeatedly, when Cousins got paid.

You guys are both right.

Different people ave different definitions of what the term means.

Arizona Sports said that "game manager" was "a term that often comes with negative connotations of a non-talented, play-it-safe type of quarterback".[5] The New York Times called it a "backhanded compliment".[6] The San Francisco Chronicle wrote, "As consolation ... Quarterbacks are called game managers only if they're winning."[7] The Associated Press opined, "But like any cliche, [game manager is] oversimplified". Former Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian laughed, "Every quarterback is a game manager, it's what the job is all about".[1] Nick Saban said, "I don't think you can be a good quarterback unless you're a really good game manager".[8] The Los Angeles Times noted that although Trent Dilfer was not an elite quarterback, the 2000 Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl with a dominant defense and Dilfer as a game manager.[4] Peyton Manning, who was a five-time NFL Most Valuable Player, transitioned into a game manager role with a defensive-oriented Denver Broncos squad in 2015, when he won his second championship and became the 2nd oldest quarterback at age 39 to win a Super Bowl..

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I am done with this.

Last comment. Even last year, Cleveland had better offensive personnel than KC.

Much better run game, much better Oline. Can’t throw to the elite pass catchers if constantly under duress.

Yes, KC’s pass catchers are considerably better.
better line? yep? run game? yep. Mahomes had far better WRs/TEs. Mahomes line was OK until his LT and RT went down. Never mind I've never said Baker is a better QB.

FYI, Baker lost 2 starters on the line AND their backups and moved the team up and down the field against a solid Steeler defense on the road in a playoff game (no line coach, assistant line coach nor HC either).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's an insult.

It was used, repeatedly, when Cousins got paid.

You guys are both right.

Different people ave different definitions of what the term means.

Arizona Sports said that "game manager" was "a term that often comes with negative connotations of a non-talented, play-it-safe type of quarterback".[5] The New York Times called it a "backhanded compliment".[6] The San Francisco Chronicle wrote, "As consolation ... Quarterbacks are called game managers only if they're winning."[7] The Associated Press opined, "But like any cliche, [game manager is] oversimplified". Former Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian laughed, "Every quarterback is a game manager, it's what the job is all about".[1] Nick Saban said, "I don't think you can be a good quarterback unless you're a really good game manager".[8] The Los Angeles Times noted that although Trent Dilfer was not an elite quarterback, the 2000 Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl with a dominant defense and Dilfer as a game manager.[4] Peyton Manning, who was a five-time NFL Most Valuable Player, transitioned into a game manager role with a defensive-oriented Denver Broncos squad in 2015, when he won his second championship and became the 2nd oldest quarterback at age 39 to win a Super Bowl..
agree with all of this. Term was really popular with Dilfer and wasn't because he was any good. Just stayed out of the way. I think most think of that when the term is used. No way when Cowherd, Ryan, etc. use it it is being used as any kind of complement. But also agree Polian and Saban are right.

Hell, even though accused of being a homer I've even said many of Baker's issues in the past were because he was not a good game manager (in the positive sense of the term) and often made mistakes when trying to do too much (especially with Freddie). Seems Stefanski has helped him tremendously with this issue in his game.

Last edited:

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hollywood Brown can run too, it’s a given he will have to go get anything Jackson throws though

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Targeting in CFB is so horrible. Kid got ejected and has to miss the 1st half of their next game over this? The fact that they're still ejecting people over targeting is so lame