• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 14 year contract? Why would you want to sign that length of contract as a player?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Security?

Still way to long IMO. As a young baseball player, I would do at most 7-8 years then test free agency again while I'm still in my prime.

Tatis just turned 22. Dude is going to be 36 and probably washed by the time he can test free agency again. I don't get it.

Do a 7 or 8 year deal and you can test free agency when you're 30 and still a great player

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still way to long IMO. As a young baseball player, I would do at most 7-8 years then test free agency again while I'm still in my prime.

Tatis just turned 22. Dude is going to be 36 and probably washed by the time he can test free agency again. I don't get it.

Do a 7 or 8 year deal and you can test free agency when you're 30 and still a great player

I get it and I don't at the same time.

From a standpoint of security, I absolutely get it. If he suffers a major injury and is never 100% again, he still gets all of that money. And honestly, from a quality of life perspective...you can't beat San Diego.

On the other hand, I agree with you that 14 years is long time. Even if he feels like he would never want to leave right now. That can change pretty quickly.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that is crazy long. Baseball really needs to address these contracts in their next collective bargaining session.

Of course that relationship is so messed up neither side going to want to give an inch.

I think if I were in Tatis position, given the labor issues and future uncertainty, I would want to sign as long as I could too. In most cases the team deeply regrets these contracts as the player ages into his mid 30s. Hopefully the first 10 years work out well for the Padres.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that is crazy long. Baseball really needs to address these contracts in their next collective bargaining session.

Not sure why. If the player is willing to sign for that long and the team is willing to pay him for that long. That's between the player and the team. If one or both end up regretting it, that's on them.

I think if I were in Tatis position, given the labor issues and future uncertainty, I would want to sign as long as I could too. In most cases the team deeply regrets these contracts as the player ages into his mid 30s. Hopefully the first 10 years work out well for the Padres.

The one good thing for them (and him) is that he's only 22. So at least they get him through his entire prime. So it's better than the Angels signing a 31 year old Pujols to a 10 year deal.

For a team like the Padres, if they get a World Series title out of it, they'll consider it worth it. Of course, if they don't...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why. If the player is willing to sign for that long and the team is willing to pay him for that long. That's between the player and the team. If one or both end up regretting it, that's on them.

The one good thing for them (and him) is that he's only 22. So at least they get him through his entire prime. So it's better than the Angels signing a 31 year old Pujols to a 10 year deal.

For a team like the Padres, if they get a World Series title out of it, they'll consider it worth it. Of course, if they don't...

No doubt.

We also don’t know what contracts might look like in 10 years. Could still be a bargain.

I would think teams would want to put a max length on contracts to protect themselves. Maybe not though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt.

We also don’t know what contracts might look like in 10 years. Could still be a bargain.

I would think teams would want to put a max length on contracts to protect themselves. Maybe not though.

I think it depends on the team and the player/position. For a small market team like the Padres, getting a star player (which Tatis looks to be) to sign with them for that long could help them attract other top players. It's like we say about the NBA, small market teams have to overpay in some way (money, length of contract or both) to attract/keep the type of player that can make them competitive.

Also, if the player isn't a pitcher, it makes more sense. The Dodgers aren't exactly small market, but a big part of the reason Bauer's contract is structured the way it is, is because Friedman won't sign a pitcher to a long term deal. He won't even give out a 5 year deal to a pitcher. But he signed Mookie to a 12 year deal.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can see your side for sure. But also would wonder why team would do it. doubt there is any time in this deal they are getting more than what they pay for. And very likely based on others like this they will wish they could get out of it well before it ends.

MLB so needs to borrow from NBA and/or NFL and have max deals and/or franchise players. Lokc them out until they get one, the other or both.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course that relationship is so messed up neither side going to want to give an inch.

haha...just made a similar comment in regards to the last thing you said.

No doubt baseball has serious issues. Most fans say get a cap (and floor) but players wont agree to it. Truth is it's not just the players as I'm sure a handful or so owners don't want a cap, and probably some who wouldn't agree to a floor.

I'd like to see max deals in length and amount like the NBA. MLB owners badly need a lockout for as long as it takes to get what they want (if they can agree among themselves to what they want). If it costs and entire season so be it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it depends on the team and the player/position. For a small market team like the Padres, getting a star player (which Tatis looks to be) to sign with them for that long could help them attract other top players. It's like we say about the NBA, small market teams have to overpay in some way (money, length of contract or both) to attract/keep the type of player that can make them competitive.

Also, if the player isn't a pitcher, it makes more sense. The Dodgers aren't exactly small market, but a big part of the reason Bauer's contract is structured the way it is, is because Friedman won't sign a pitcher to a long term deal. He won't even give out a 5 year deal to a pitcher. But he signed Mookie to a 12 year deal.
Guessing the reason behind Bauer's deal is as much Bauer. He's said for a long time that he will never sign a deal that locks him in for longer than a season.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Wentz actually was moved to Indy (guessing most here know by now). could actually see this as being a win for both teams.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Wentz actually was moved to Indy (guessing most here know by now). could actually see this as being a win for both teams.

We shall see.

I was not surprised by the return.

I think it is only really a win if Hurts and Wentz play well enough to be franchise QBs for their respective teams. I don’t believe that either will. Time will tell.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guessing the reason behind Bauer's deal is as much Bauer. He's said for a long time that he will never sign a deal that locks him in for longer than a season.

Hadn't heard that about Bauer. Just knew that Friedman won't sign pitchers long term. Sounds like a good match. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see.

I was not surprised by the return.

I think it is only really a win if Hurts and Wentz play well enough to be franchise QBs for their respective teams. I don’t believe that either will. Time will tell.
It's not an overall win for Philly as you'd like more for the #2 pick in the draft but for where they are now and the season he just had? They could also use the #6 pick on a QB or use the assets they acquired to move up.

I don't believe Wentz regains his 2017 form (or even close), but Indy not a bad spot to land for a QB.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't heard that about Bauer. Just knew that Friedman won't sign pitchers long term. Sounds like a good match. lol
yep...and these are not reports from unnamed sources in this case. Bauer, himself, has said it. Guessing first I heard it was maybe before his first year of arbitration when asked if he's been approached about a longterm deal (maybe even sooner).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an overall win for Philly as you'd like more for the #2 pick in the draft but for where they are now and the season he just had? They could also use the #6 pick on a QB or use the assets they acquired to move up.

I don't believe Wentz regains his 2017 form (or even close), but Indy not a bad spot to land for a QB.

Yeah, he is definitely in a much better spot to succeed now.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 2015 and 2016 NFL draft

Winston/Mariota went 1 & 2 in 2015
Goff and Wentz went 1 & 2 in 2016.

All 4 only lasted 4 years at the team who drafted them and none are looked at as franchise QBs ATM

Man when you go QB that early in the draft, you must hit.