• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA Finals: Toronto Raptors vs Golden State Warriors

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 330,000.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league was so boring during Jordan's Bulls and Shaq/Kobe's Lakers.

When Jordan's bulls were playing I didn't miss a finals. We all knew we were watching one of the all-time greats. With those Kobe/Shaq Lakers, I didn't care as much, partly because my life was in a different place, but also because I hated Bryant from before draft day.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tied at 1-1 and with serious questions surrounding the health of the Warriors, this series is very much up in the air.

Obviously Kawhi gets Finals MVP if Toronto wins

But for GS?

Through 2 games it has been Draymond IMO. Could make a pretty compelling case for any of their core 3.

I would go with Draymond thru 2 games as well.

That said, GS has a road win with 2 coming up at home so for now, I will say GS has the upper hand in the series right now. If Klay's hammy is strained...he shouldn't be out long, if it's a pull, he could be done for the remainder of the series.

My prediction was GS in 6, staying with that.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 330,000.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see how many picks they run each possession? You think this is just pick-up ball?

The man has admitted he does not really need to do any coaching with this group. He said it again last night on 60 Minutes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing for Toronto is they got their shots. They were just missing. Sure they'll gladly take those shots the rest of the series

Bad thing for Toronto is I don't trust Gasol and Greeen at all.

The bad thing imo for Toronto is they were missing those shots at home. You don't expect them to go nearly 5 mins w/o scoring again, but with Cousins showing pretty good form in game 2 and should only get better with more mins, GS looks in control.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 330,000.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kerr does no coaching by your logic does that mean Phil Jackson's a fraud?

Of course...Jackson is probably the most over-rated NBA coach of all time

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The man has admitted he does not really need to do any coaching with this group. He said it again last night on 60 Minutes.

I'm sure he probably doesn't need to do nearly as much coaching anymore. He has veteran players who have been in this system for what? 5 years now?

At this point, his players know what he wants and they know what to do. Heck, there are probably times where they know what to do before he does. So, now it's more about minor tweaks based on opponents and managing ego's.

But, it took some good coaching to get them to the point that he can now kind of sit back and watch it work.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Should these way overrated fella's also be added to the list of lousy NBA coaches?

-Red Auerbach
-Pat Riley
-Chuck Daly
-Gregg Popovich
-Larry Brown

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends. He certainly wasn't great at the X's and O's. His offensive system wasn't even his.

But, I don't think there's been a coach who was better at managing ego's (especially of mega stars like MJ, Shaq and Kobe) and getting them to buy in.

Doug Collins was a good coach, but could only get the Bulls so far. Del Harris was a good coach, but could only get the Shaq/Kobe Lakers so far.

Phil steps in and they start winning rings. I doubt MJ, Shaq or Kobe have as many rings as they do without Phil.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Collins was a good coach, but could only get the Bulls so far. Del Harris was a good coach, but could only get the Shaq/Kobe Lakers so far.

Phil steps in and they start winning rings. I doubt MJ, Shaq or Kobe have as many rings as they do without Phil.

Spot on.

Tex designed it, but Phil got his star players to buy into the triangle, and he also made it work with a dominant big with Shaq.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on.

Tex designed it, but Phil got his star players to buy into the triangle, and he also made it work with a dominant big with Shaq.

The Zen Master was a helluva coach. But I prefer to judge his entire career on his massive failure in NY.:heh: He was a lousy Brickabocker prez-o-dent.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Zen Master was a helluva coach. But I prefer to judge his entire career on his massive failure in NY.:heh: He was a lousy Brickabocker prez-o-dent.

You don't often dwell on the low point of an incredibly successful career do you? LOL

Yeah, going back to the Knicks was not his shining moment for sure. The league so badly wants the Knicks to be relevant again.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he probably doesn't need to do nearly as much coaching anymore. He has veteran players who have been in this system for what? 5 years now?

At this point, his players know what he wants and they know what to do. Heck, there are probably times where they know what to do before he does. So, now it's more about minor tweaks based on opponents and managing ego's.

But, it took some good coaching to get them to the point that he can now kind of sit back and watch it work.
It's also good coaching figuring out lineups when your best players keep getting hurt

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't often dwell on the low point of an incredibly successful career do you? LOL

Yeah, going back to the Knicks was not his shining moment for sure. The league so badly wants the Knicks to be relevant again.

I find it easier to dwell on players or coaches low points to sum up a career. Examples.

-Chris Webber calling a timeout when meeeechegan didn't have one during the '93 title game

-Coach Kruzawooooski's national title game losses

-Magic's 4 Finals losses

-I define Kobe's career by what he did his last season

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 330,000.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, see? THIS is exhibit A on his over-rated-ness...he could only win with superstars and owners who were willing to pay said superstars.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why they need to either remove positions from the All NBA teams and just go with the 15 best players...or remove making All NBA from determining a players eligibility for a super max.

I like Gobert, but he's not one of the 15 best players in the league.

Yes he is. He’s top 10.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he is. He’s top 10.

Steph
Lebron
Giannis
Kawhi
KD
Harden
Paul George
Lillard
AD
Jokic
RW
Embiid
Griffin
Kemba
Kyrie
Towns

Top 10? lol There is a list of 16, does he make more of impact than even those 15 guys. No way. Great defensive player but all-around he isn't a better player than all those. You could actually add more players to that list.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, see? THIS is exhibit A on his over-rated-ness...he could only win with superstars and owners who were willing to pay said superstars.

Name a single coach in the NBA that's won the ultimate prize w/o All Star caliber players or potential HOFer? Just this century.

Celtics- Pierce, KG & Ray
Lakers- Shaq & Kobe
Spurs- Duncan, Robinson, Parker*, Ginobili*
Pistons- Billups* (not HOFers but damn good- Rip Hamilton, Ben Wallace)
Heat part I- Wade & Shaq
Heat part II- LeBron, Wade, Bosh & Ray
Warriors- Steph, KD, Klay & Dray**
Cavs- LeBron, Love**
Mavs- Dirk & Kidd

* = sure-shot HOFers
** = probably get in