• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NBA championship: Celtics vs Mavs

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree there are no SUPERstars on the team, no MVP level guys, this team has far more talent than the 2004 Pistons
Agree, keep this team together and they can win multiple titles

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Boston team is similar to the Detroit team that won a title. All-Stars all over the court but no superstars. Everyone thought Tatum was that guy and he isn't. Brown and Tatum are both stars and can play like superstars at times. 1-5 they play great defense like that Detroit team and anyone can go off. Obviously in today's NBA they rely on the 3 ball WAY more than that Detroit team but just a bunch of solid All-stars with depth. No superstars.

Unfortunately, for Dallas, Kyrie has not been consistent this postseason and Dallas could get by these other teams but you can't do that against Boston. If you don't have the depth and talent like Boston you need 3 guys to go off and that 3rd guy (PJ) to play at a very high level. Not likely.

Luka cannot do it all by himself or they get swept, maybe Boston in 5.
I'll concur with what @msgkings322 said... these Celtics are like that Detroit team, only better.

It's tough to compare across eras, though... these Celtics are kind-of a triumph of the modern NBA game.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now the hot takes come out. They 'can' do that but multiple titles only really happen with superteams. People I'm sure said the same thing about Denver last year. I know I had them as strong contenders this year. And maybe they win another but you see how it goes, the other teams in the league aren't that far back of the ones who win titles now that there aren't superteams.

This does get back to what I said earlier though, the Celtics are not one but they are super-ish. They are stacked 1 through 6. Other teams have some work to do to catch up next year, so we'll see. I just don't think in this era of parity multiple titles will happen that often. Maybe Philly gets a 3rd star. Maybe OKC brings in a veteran piece and wins their title next year, or Minnesota. Lots will change.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well now the hot takes come out. They 'can' do that but multiple titles only really happen with superteams. People I'm sure said the same thing about Denver last year. I know I had them as strong contenders this year. And maybe they win another but you see how it goes, the other teams in the league aren't that far back of the ones who win titles now that there aren't superteams.

This does get back to what I said earlier though, the Celtics are not one but they are super-ish. They are stacked 1 through 6. Other teams have some work to do to catch up next year, so we'll see. I just don't think in this era of parity multiple titles will happen that often. Maybe Philly gets a 3rd star. Maybe OKC brings in a veteran piece and wins their title next year, or Minnesota. Lots will change.

The stupid how dare you invest in your product apron makes it that much harder

Not having exceptions or aggregation is pretty fucking absurd

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People did say that about Denver last year.

And honestly?

This is every year. You see that 1 team that just looks head and shoulders better than everyone and think, why can’t they do it again?

Because it is really hard. And winning changes things inside the locker room. Guys come back less hungry or wanting a different role.

That is why those multiple champions don’t happen every time.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And honestly?

This is every year. You see that 1 team that just looks head and shoulders better than everyone and think, why can’t they do it again?

Because it is really hard. And winning changes things inside the locker room. Guys come back less hungry or wanting a different role.

Guys also get hurt

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stupid how dare you invest in your product apron makes it that much harder

Not having exceptions or aggregation is pretty fucking absurd
I guess the NBA decided to agree with the fans complaining about superteams and made it harder to form them

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And honestly?

Not just 'every' time. They only happen with superteams or close to it (Detroit 89-90? LA 09-10? Houston 94-95?)

Not impossible for Boston to win another but I wouldn't bet on it.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the NBA decided to agree with the fans complaining about superteams and made it harder to form them

You could’ve done that just by giving the max guys a higher % of the money

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 165,527.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can yes, but it’s not a given. Young teams are coming on and one in particular looks very similar in how it’s being built. The next few years are going to be fun.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The wrong way

Stop punishing teams who actually try
Honest question, who doesn't "try"? I guess you can make a case perpetually bad ones like Charlotte and Washington don't try but almost everyone is out there making moves or doing The Process even under the new rules.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question, who doesn't "try"? I guess you can make a case perpetually bad ones like Charlotte and Washington don't try but almost everyone is out there making moves or doing The Process even under the new rules.

Too many teams just sit there and take their luxury tax payouts

How dare some teams actually try to fund those….

They aren’t gonna pay those guys

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many teams just sit there and take their luxury tax payouts

How dare some teams actually try to fund those….

They aren’t gonna pay those guys
Besides the 2 I mentioned who else just 'sits there'? Genuinely asking, you know this stuff better than me.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides the 2 I mentioned who else just 'sits there'? Genuinely asking, you know this stuff better than me.

Bulls and hawks right now, very happy to be medicore and not sell off or buy

Most teams will dip into the tax and then run back out shortly

I get not paying the tax to be bad but all this does is squeeze out the mid market guys

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get not paying the tax to be bad but all this does is squeeze out the mid market guys

The issue with both of those teams is that they are saddled with bad max deals and they want to maximize their return to dump their guys.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's doing a lot to make up for not scoring well, Draymond esque defense/assists/rebounds is his role when the shots aren't falling
He's still a big key shots falling or not. The Mavs are and they have to guard him as though his shots are falling.
If the Mavs start giving Tatum a little bit of free space to cheat towards Brown and/or White Tatum will make them regret it.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK 4 out of 30 poorly run teams not trying...not that bad really