• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Bows Down To Political Correctness

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for them.

I get that some people are against this lifestyle for various reasons.

Just the other day, some jackhole in a Taco Bell thought it was okay to refuse service to a Deputy Sheriff and got his dumb as fired.

You shouldn't be allowed to refuse anyone based on their age, sex, race , sexual orientation, political affiliation nor their type of employment.

Discrimination is discrimination.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Gleeson and Jeff Zillgitt of USA Today:

As Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski prepares to take the U.S. men’s national basketball team to the Rio Olympics, his thoughts turned this week to his home of North Carolina and the controversial anti-LGBT law that was passed in March.

“It’s an embarrassing bill,” Krzyzewski told USA TODAY Sports. “That’s all I’m going to say about it.”

Yup.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, the NBA should do more than move the All Star game. Teams should refuse to play in North Carolina at all. Since they cannot force the franchise to leave, then each team should forfeit their games to Carolina.

Also, no players from NC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest and all the other schools should not be drafted by NBA teams.

Oh wait, that would cost real money and the NBA can't sign up for that. Hypocrites.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, the NBA should do more than move the All Star game. Teams should refuse to play in North Carolina at all. Since they cannot force the franchise to leave, then each team should forfeit their games to Carolina.

Also, no players from NC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest and all the other schools should not be drafted by NBA teams.

Oh wait, that would cost real money and the NBA can't sign up for that. Hypocrites.

This is a fair point, most of these symbolic gestures only happen because it doesn't cost much to do it. That's not hypocritical necessarily though. We all do what we can.

Think of the causes you support, or the charities you give to. Are you a hypocrite for buying that expensive steak dinner instead of giving that money to save a kid's life somewhere?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think I'd do that... Especially for a kid who committed to Duke and would have to sit out a year in order to transfer. Why punish him or force him to throw away his college career?

Now did South Carolina pass the law? If not, Rock hill is a decent size town about 30 minutes away but across the state border. I could see teams staying/eating there instead as a statement.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I'd do that... Especially for a kid who committed to Duke and would have to sit out a year in order to transfer. Why punish him or force him to throw away his college career?

Now did South Carolina pass the law? If not, Rock hill is a decent size town about 30 minutes away but across the state border. I could see teams staying/eating there instead as a statement.

Seriously. You are going to punish athletes who had nothing to do with this law being passed if you ban college players from Carolina schools. That is taking things way too far.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. You are going to punish athletes who had nothing to do with this law being passed if you ban college players from Carolina schools. That is taking things way too far.

Would you feel the same way if this bill was for allowing racial discrimination instead of LGBT?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. If the NCAA wants to allow players to transfer out of those schools with no penalty, that's fine. But the majority of the kids likely already committed to the school or were already there when this law passed and likely didn't even get the chance to vote on it themselves.

Also, just because the bill passed, doesn't mean those institutions support it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you feel the same way if this bill was for allowing racial discrimination instead of LGBT?

Do you assume that just because a bill passed in the state they are in that those institutions and the players, students, faculty, etc. all support it?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you assume that just because a bill passed in the state they are in that those institutions and the players, students, faculty, etc. all support it?

Of course not. However, the NBA is supporting those people who don't support it by throwing their weight against it.

The younger generation (including college students) is way ahead of older generations on this issue.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing the reactions, I think this Clay Travis piece could prove to be quite entertaining....

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. However, the NBA is supporting those people who don't support it by throwing their weight against it.

The younger generation (including college students) is way ahead of older generations on this issue.

And? The comment was that the NBA should not draft players from UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest and all other schools in North Carolina. You asked if the poster would feel different if it were allowing racial discrimination vs. LGBT.

Why should the NBA punish players from those schools for a state law that they likely had nothing to do with, didn't/couldn't vote on and played at programs that likely doesn't support the bill either?

I have no problem with the NBA choosing to move the All-Star Game as a form of protest (although I think they could probably come up with a more poignant way to protest while keeping the game there). But to ban drafting college players who have earned their shot at being drafted is taking things way too far, imo.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the interesting point Clay Travis brings up is this:

It was the city of Charlotte that passed a pro-LGBT bill that led to the state of North Carlina to pass the anti-LGBT bill.

But it is not the state of North Caroline losing the NBA All Star Game.

It's the city of Charlotte losing the NBA All Star Game.

The NBA is run by fucking idiots.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlotte should just seceed from North Carolina. South Carolina would gladly take them.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the interesting point Clay Travis brings up is this:

It was the city of Charlotte that passed a pro-LGBT bill that led to the state of North Carlina to pass the anti-LGBT bill.

But it is not the state of North Caroline losing the NBA All Star Game.

It's the city of Charlotte losing the NBA All Star Game.

The NBA is run by fucking idiots.

No good deed goes unpunished.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And? The comment was that the NBA should not draft players from UNC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest and all other schools in North Carolina. You asked if the poster would feel different if it were allowing racial discrimination vs. LGBT.

Why should the NBA punish players from those schools for a state law that they likely had nothing to do with, didn't/couldn't vote on and played at programs that likely doesn't support the bill either?

I have no problem with the NBA choosing to move the All-Star Game as a form of protest (although I think they could probably come up with a more poignant way to protest while keeping the game there). But to ban drafting college players who have earned their shot at being drafted is taking things way too far, imo.

My comment was intended more broadly than the comment I quoted in response. Of course that is taking things too far. However, I think more should be done than just taking away an All-Star game.