• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nats Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id love to see Kuroda in the Olde English D. Call me crazy but I'd take him over Fister.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too_old.jpg

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value in that trade absolutely was horrible, there is no two ways around it. With that being said, DD could mitigate the nonsense if the money is used correctly. Made more sense to trade Scherzer than Fister, smh.

Agree. I have been pro trade scherzer for a while now, but may have changed my mind as apparently DD thinks starters jus grow on trees and might trade scherzer for nothing as well. But overall they had fister under contract for two years, hes a stud pitcher, they replace him in the rotation with smyly and replace smyl with krol? Haha, he downgraded their rotation and pen with this trade and is NOT saving that much money.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers had six quality starters and needed to deal one. The market is what the market is. I like Fister a lot but the trade helps the Tigers. I do agree that there isn't a high ceiling on the players the Tigers received.

Yes and in this market there is a HUGE demand for starting pitching. So the market is not a valid argument, in fact it discredits what you have to say. Stud starting pitchers do not get traded for next to nothing.

Anyhow this will be the worst move DD has made up to this point. Jurrjens for renteria turned out to be awful as well but then jair got injured. But at least that move could be justified as renteria hit .330 the year before.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how everyone continues to say -- Detroit could have got this or Detroit could have got that. It was well known Detroit had starting pitching to trade. Dombrowski said he has been in talks with the Nationals since the end of the season. It isn't as if this trade went down over night. He said he talk to them for over a month. He also said they talked about the possibility of trading Scherzer too with the Nats.

If there was a better deal on the table -- I'm sure Dombrowski would have taken it, with the exception of making a deal within the division.

Oh there was a better deal and that was not making the trade at all.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh there was a better deal and that was not making the trade at all.

in a perfect world -- i agree. we have no idea though what is being said behind closed doors. Detroit will not be able to re-sign Scherzer, Fister and Porcello. in a perfect world, detroit wouldn't trade fielder and instead just go sign Cano, trade Austin Jackson, sign Ellsbury and Choo.

the problem is -- detroit doesn't have a blank check to fill their roster, as much as fans would like to think so. they have to make decisions on some players and some moves won't be as popular as others. dombrowski already said on record, he had 15 pitchers in the minor league the scouting department was interested in dealing for. Robbie Ray was one of them. Washington gave them the package they wanted and they made the trade. We won't know how this trade works out for another couple years. What we know is -- it filled 2 roster spots with league minimum players in Krol and Lombardozzi, and gave them a left handed power arm in the triple A, while saving the team roughly 6 million dollars.

Truth be told -- I HATE to see Fister go. I really like the guy. I would go and pack up Porcello's house for him by myself, if we could have traded him instead. Unfortunately -- my guess is, Detroit couldn't find a suitor for Porcello that had guys they wanted, so it was Fister instead.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave D and Ilitch were not going to put themselves into a position to pay the luxury tax. A decent utility guy and a left handed reliever could have cost 3-7 million on top of Fisters 7 million if Detroit would have gone FA or asked for say Storen in return.

Dave D said it wasn't about money so I believe it was about money!

HailYeah21

esc7391 on ESPN. HAILYEAH
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
added Nate McLouth too.

#InRizzoWeTrust