• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nats Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't say that without taking into account what the Tigers do with the money they saved. I agree the trade made the Tigers worse on the field without considering the $$$'s.

Tigers signed Joe Nathan to a 2-year deal today

I can say that..1 guys salary would be less than 3 players salary and would have saved them more money.

Fister should have gotten at least 1 good minor leaguer, a great deal 2 of them.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't say that without taking into account what the Tigers do with the money they saved. I agree the trade made the Tigers worse on the field without considering the $$$'s.

Tigers signed Joe Nathan to a 2-year deal today

The value in that trade absolutely was horrible, there is no two ways around it. With that being said, DD could mitigate the nonsense if the money is used correctly. Made more sense to trade Scherzer than Fister, smh.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value in that trade absolutely was horrible, there is no two ways around it. With that being said, DD could mitigate the nonsense if the money is used correctly. Made more sense to trade Scherzer than Fister, smh.

In all honesty, after getting rid of Prince Fielder's contract, why would they have needed to move Max or Fister anyways? They could have still had Fister, Kinsler and now Joe Nathan but instead they have Kinsler, Nathan, Lombo, Krol and a minor leaguer - I would have taken the former any day

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all honesty, after getting rid of Prince Fielder's contract, why would they have needed to move Max or Fister anyways? They could have still had Fister, Kinsler and now Joe Nathan but instead they have Kinsler, Nathan, Lombo, Krol and a minor leaguer - I would have taken the former any day

Because they must want to sign Miggy, Scherzer, Choo, and Nathan at the same time? I have no clue, lol.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now I know why they dumped Fister and Fielders contracts:

Detroit's historic bankruptcy will move forward after a judge ruled Tuesday that the financially crumbling city is eligible to shed billions in debt.

Judge Steven Rhodes turned down objections from unions, pension funds and retirees, which all stand to lose big under any plan to address Detroit's long-term liabilities.

The decision Tuesday was long-awaited, and clears the way for the city to proceed in the largest public bankruptcy in U.S. history

Why did they need to declare bankruptcy?

The city has argued that it needs bankruptcy protection for the sake of beleaguered residents suffering from poor services such as slow to nonexistent police response, darkened streetlights and erratic garbage pickup -- a concern mentioned by the judge during the trial.

Before the July filing, nearly 40 cents of every dollar collected by Detroit was used to pay debt, a figure that could rise to 65 cents without relief through bankruptcy, according to the city.

its not about baseball at all.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now I know why they dumped Fister and Fielders contracts:

Detroit's historic bankruptcy will move forward after a judge ruled Tuesday that the financially crumbling city is eligible to shed billions in debt.

Judge Steven Rhodes turned down objections from unions, pension funds and retirees, which all stand to lose big under any plan to address Detroit's long-term liabilities.

The decision Tuesday was long-awaited, and clears the way for the city to proceed in the largest public bankruptcy in U.S. history

Why did they need to declare bankruptcy?

The city has argued that it needs bankruptcy protection for the sake of beleaguered residents suffering from poor services such as slow to nonexistent police response, darkened streetlights and erratic garbage pickup -- a concern mentioned by the judge during the trial.

Before the July filing, nearly 40 cents of every dollar collected by Detroit was used to pay debt, a figure that could rise to 65 cents without relief through bankruptcy, according to the city.

its not about baseball at all.

Irrelevant, Illitch family is doing fine.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a joke...I guess I should have put smiley faces all over it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robbie Ray isn't a starter, he's the exact type of power lefty teams like out of the pen; 4 bb/9 innings and can't even average 5 innings a start in the minors? No way he turns into a starter in the majors. Minor league profile is exactly like Justin Wilson of the Pirates, he's a solid reliever not a starter.

While Detroit may be planning on using him in the bullpen, that remains to be seen. He has exclusively been a starter in the Minors and in the past year, he has added velocity to his fastball and cut down his walks compared to prior years.

These were his 2013 numbers in the minors:

11-5 3.36 27 starts 4 complete games 1 Shutout 0 142.0 IP 116 Hits 58 runs 53 ER 13 HRs 62 BB 160 Ks 1.10 .224 OPP BA

I'm not saying the guy is going to come in and be a top end starter, but if Detroit loses another starting pitcher, he is someone who could come in and spot start or pitch out of the bullpen until he is ready.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this is what I was thinking, they've been going all out for the last few years, why stop now?

Detroit is far from done this offseason. They haven't something else brewing -- I guarantee it. I wouldn't be surprised to see something done next week at the GM meetings either.

Detroit has so many pieces they can trade and with losing salary, i'm sure they are going to go and get a closer (which I heard they signed Nathan to a 2 year deal, but haven't read about it yet) and a LF and/or a 3rd basemen.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a 3.9 BB/9 in 2013 between A and AA. It was 4.2 in 2012. 3.8 in 2011. That's not exactly cutting down on walks.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks like a garage sale MLB style!

How Detroit couldn't get a starter for Fister as well as a prospect or two is beyond me! How the hell doesn't Detroit walk away from this deal without Clippard or Storen?

You don't give away starting pitching! Can't see how this trade helps Detroit regardless who they sign! Even with the Joe Nathan signing this is just a bad bad deal.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say that..1 guys salary would be less than 3 players salary and would have saved them more money.

Fister should have gotten at least 1 good minor leaguer, a great deal 2 of them.

I guess you can say it. It just isn't true. Fister will earn considerably more than the two players that will be on the Tigers' roster this year. DD shook the tree and he decided this was the best deal for one of his starters. Now lets sit back and see what the shopping spree will bring in.

So far the tally looks like this:
LEAVING:
Fielder, Fister, Peralta, Santiago, Benoit (assumed) --$55MM ('14)

COMING:
Kinsler, Nathan, Krol, Lombardozzi, Castellanos---$27MM ('14)

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you can say it. It just isn't true. Fister will earn considerably more than the two players that will be on the Tigers' roster this year. DD shook the tree and he decided this was the best deal for one of his starters. Now lets sit back and see what the shopping spree will bring in.

LEAVING:

COMING:

Isn't Veras a FA?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys Detroit got are under team control to 2017 I think. Minus the utility guy.

This smacks of clearing salary space. Fister was in line to make 7 million next season and in 2 years that would jump considerably. His age and contract demands would have made it a hard call to sign him in two years. But thats two years down the road! I could only imagine what he would have been worth at the trading deadline?

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LEAVING:

COMING:

unless the two pitchers end up good middle relievers in the majors, then it doesn't win for the Tigers...but they could have easily got more for Doug Fister than what they got....other deals don't matter...this is a bad deal for not getting Fister's value...it happens.

Fister should have pulled 1 high prospect at min...not two middle relievers.

They can buy every FA on the market, it still doesn't change that it was a bad deal.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unless the two pitchers end up good middle relievers in the majors, then it doesn't win for the Tigers...but they could have easily got more for Doug Fister than what they got....other deals don't matter...this is a bad deal for not getting Fister's value...it happens.

Fister should have pulled 1 high prospect at min...not two middle relievers.

They can buy every FA on the market, it still doesn't change that it was a bad deal.

Tigers had six quality starters and needed to deal one. The market is what the market is. I like Fister a lot but the trade helps the Tigers. I do agree that there isn't a high ceiling on the players the Tigers received.