• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My thoughts on the game/Alex Smith

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You do amuse me.
In 2007 Dilfer was worse with taking sacks. Weinke was terrible. Hill was a bit better.

2008 JT was on pace for 70 sacks. Hill took that down to 40.

2009 Hill was going toward 50. Smith was at a 30 rate.

2010 Troy was going to 50 again. Smith was 30 something.

If Alex Smith is the retard with little tangible or intangible QB abilities to avoid sacks why were the replacements usually racking up sacks like mad?

What a depressing list of QBs.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do amuse me.
In 2007 Dilfer was worse with taking sacks. Weinke was terrible. Hill was a bit better.

2008 JT was on pace for 70 sacks. Hill took that down to 40.

2009 Hill was going toward 50. Smith was at a 30 rate.

2010 Troy was going to 50 again. Smith was 30 something.

If Alex Smith is the retard with little tangible or intangible QB abilities to avoid sacks why were the replacements usually racking up sacks like mad?

What an absurd argument. Everybody you listed sans Hill is out of the league. The only semi-legitimate starting QB on that list is Trent Dilfer, and he was at the very end of his career. Furthermore, Alex was taking the majority of reps in practice and with the first team when those QBs were on the roster, so it's only logical to assume that they'd be worse at recognizing blitzes and make-shifting blocking schemes. If these half-assed QBs are your foundation for attempting to prove that Alex knows how to make a hot read and maneuver in the pocket then you really need to reevaluate your standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What an absurd argument. Everybody you listed sans Hill is out of the league. The only semi-legitimate starting QB on that list is Trent Dilfer, and he was at the very end of his career. Furthermore, Alex was taking the majority of reps in practice and with the first team when those QBs were on the roster, so it's only logical to assume that they'd be worse at recognizing blitzes and make-shifting blocking schemes. If these half-assed QBs are your foundation for attempting to prove that Alex knows how to make a hot read and maneuver in the pocket then you really need to reevaluate your standards.

That's not an accurate statement. JT got the starting reps in the '08 season, and Hill got them in the '09 season. Both guys were named the starters during the preseason and remained the starters until they were pulled.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Absolutely very impressive. For him. He wasn't playing at a pro bowl level, perhaps, but he was playing at a high level. I would say that is the best half of football I have seen out of Alex Smith in his career.

Very impressed huh? Whats been more impressive to you, they play of Dalton and Newton for the first 2 weeks or the play of Alex Smith.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Very impressed huh? Whats been more impressive to you, they play of Dalton and Newton for the first 2 weeks or the play of Alex Smith.

I haven't seen either of those guys play, other than a couple highlights. I'll gladly weigh in on Dalton after this week.

Unlike many (most?) on this board, I am basing my evaluation of Smith based on his past performance. Smith's passing - a MAJOR question mark last year - has been more consistently good than I can ever recall it. This week he threw two bad passes, and at least one of those appears to have been a gross miscommunication leading to the INT. Three bad passes if we count the deflection at the LOS. Other than that, his passes - including a couple tough outs and a stellar fade - were spot on. What prior games in his career can we say that about? He's still struggling to identify blitzes and check out of plays or hit his hot read, but at least part of that has stemmed from the abject failure of play action and worse-than-expected blocking.

It may be that I had lower expectations for Smith than others here, though that surprises me. I figured Smith would continue to struggle with his accuracy while also struggling to digest a new offense. Instead, his accuracy has been quite good. As anticipated, he has struggled somewhat with the new system, as has the rest of the team. Based on what we saw last year, though, I'm absolutely blown away that people don't see improvement in Smith as a passer. He has also shown somewhat more ability to improvise than I've seen in the past.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And for the record, I said Smith was very impressive in the first half. I absolutely stand by that statement based on my expectations. I would say with conviction that that was the best half I have seen Smith play. He's had better stats, but based on play, this is the best I've seen him. I'm impressed he was able to put up that performance in week two of Harbaugh's offense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And for the record, I said Smith was very impressive in the first half. I absolutely stand by that statement based on my expectations. I would say with conviction that that was the best half I have seen Smith play. He's had better stats, but based on play, this is the best I've seen him. I'm impressed he was able to put up that performance in week two of Harbaugh's offense.

mostly agree, yes he was impressive relative to his past seasons. not sure it was THE best half he played but certainly one of his best.

for me it wasn't so much how far he threw, how hard he threw, or what stats he got? he looked comfortable and hence operated our offense efficiently.

if the O-line held up better in the 2nd half, we would've won, and i'm not even asking the line to play lights out, even if they played close to the 1st half, we'd have won.

anyways, heading to Sunday my focus is the same from before the season started.....O-line. we ALL know we ain't gonna get an All-Pro performance from Alex Smith, so the next best thing is a good O-line.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen either of those guys play, other than a couple highlights. I'll gladly weigh in on Dalton after this week.

Unlike many (most?) on this board, I am basing my evaluation of Smith based on his past performance. Smith's passing - a MAJOR question mark last year - has been more consistently good than I can ever recall it. This week he threw two bad passes, and at least one of those appears to have been a gross miscommunication leading to the INT. Three bad passes if we count the deflection at the LOS. Other than that, his passes - including a couple tough outs and a stellar fade - were spot on. What prior games in his career can we say that about? He's still struggling to identify blitzes and check out of plays or hit his hot read, but at least part of that has stemmed from the abject failure of play action and worse-than-expected blocking.

It may be that I had lower expectations for Smith than others here, though that surprises me. I figured Smith would continue to struggle with his accuracy while also struggling to digest a new offense. Instead, his accuracy has been quite good. As anticipated, he has struggled somewhat with the new system, as has the rest of the team. Based on what we saw last year, though, I'm absolutely blown away that people don't see improvement in Smith as a passer. He has also shown somewhat more ability to improvise than I've seen in the past.

He definitely has shown it more consistently this year. I wonder how he would have been if he didn't have coaches that frowned on risks and didn't encourage improvisation. There might be more int's but there also would be more wins?

I am not saying he has turned the corner, is a great QB, improvises all the time, or that it was all the coaches fault. I was wondering how much improvisation he had in him in which he held back? You could make a case that is a bad thing that he let anyone hold him back, but when you're drilled on field position and no mistakes, do you think he'd have thrown the PI pass or thrown it away? Maybe knowing that if he messes up he's coached, not told "You can't do that", makes him make more instinctual decisions. Experience makes those decisions less rookie.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He definitely has shown it more consistently this year. I wonder how he would have been if he didn't have coaches that frowned on risks and didn't encourage improvisation. There might be more int's but there also would be more wins?

I am not saying he has turned the corner, is a great QB, improvises all the time, or that it was all the coaches fault. I was wondering how much improvisation he had in him in which he held back? You could make a case that is a bad thing that he let anyone hold him back, but when you're drilled on field position and no mistakes, do you think he'd have thrown the PI pass or thrown it away? Maybe knowing that if he messes up he's coached, not told "You can't do that", makes him make more instinctual decisions. Experience makes those decisions less rookie.

he's completing more passes and should be confident now? he looked comfortable operating the offense so he's "experienced" with the base scheme? so now Harbaugh can start adding more creative plays.

we just need the O-line to get more in tune (run and pass), and IMO they will. the question is WHEN?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he's completing more passes and should be confident now? he looked comfortable operating the offense so he's "experienced" with the base scheme? so now Harbaugh can start adding more creative plays.

we just need the O-line to get more in tune (run and pass), and IMO they will. the question is WHEN?

Do you think the passing game to be more of a threat in order for things to open up a bit for the running game? I don't think opponents fear getting burned by the pass.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do you think the passing game to be more of a threat in order for things to open up a bit for the running game? I don't think opponents fear getting burned by the pass.

We'd all like that but we were no real threat most of the time post 2006 with Antonio Bryant but we were 4.1 a rush 2007-2010.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Early in the Dallas game, Smith and the offense were able to take advantage of blitzes to make some nice plays. In the first half, he hit Edwards for a first down, hit Ginn for eight on first down and for 12 on 3rd and 10. On the botched snap, we get PI in the endzone. On a designed 3rd and 4 rollout Smith hit Morgan for 10. The TD to Williams. Hot read to Davis who slipped a tackle and got 11 on first down. All of those came against the blitz.

Upon reviewing the breakdown I did yesterday, it looks like they blitzed less in the second half - only three times in the second half and OT by my count, only one of which resulted in a sack - but they were winning the matchups and creating pressure with four a la the Texans in preseason. They repeatedly got pressure off the left side and up the middle, and a couple times we had pretty bad breakdowns (weird shotgun formation with Gore and Walker next to Smith, Ware coming untouched off the right side, the playaction dive and playaction reverse in the same play). I'd chalk that up more to an offense in flux as much as anything. A few plays we tried to get too cute, and play action was only slowing down the drop and giving the D more time to get to Smith. In this game, I would say the passing game actually did succeed in slowing the blitz. However, curiously enough, that didn't seem to reduce the pressure.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Early in the Dallas game, Smith and the offense were able to take advantage of blitzes to make some nice plays. In the first half, he hit Edwards for a first down, hit Ginn for eight on first down and for 12 on 3rd and 10. On the botched snap, we get PI in the endzone. On a designed 3rd and 4 rollout Smith hit Morgan for 10. The TD to Williams. Hot read to Davis who slipped a tackle and got 11 on first down. All of those came against the blitz.

Upon reviewing the breakdown I did yesterday, it looks like they blitzed less in the second half - only three times in the second half and OT by my count, only one of which resulted in a sack - but they were winning the matchups and creating pressure with four a la the Texans in preseason. They repeatedly got pressure off the left side and up the middle, and a couple times we had pretty bad breakdowns (weird shotgun formation with Gore and Walker next to Smith, Ware coming untouched off the right side, the playaction dive and playaction reverse in the same play). I'd chalk that up more to an offense in flux as much as anything. A few plays we tried to get too cute, and play action was only slowing down the drop and giving the D more time to get to Smith. In this game, I would say the passing game actually did succeed in slowing the blitz. However, curiously enough, that didn't seem to reduce the pressure.

I wonder how much of this was due to the O Line not being familiar with each other... I know only Goodwin is new compared to the others but they are learning a new blocking scheme. Harbaugh and his staff have been experimenting on OL combinations...

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes. I noticed Dal was aggressively cheating up on the LOS the whole game which clogged up the holes. Look how aggressive they were on the TD pass to Williams. They seemed only concerned with taking it to our O-line to put the pressure on, and doubling VD when he ran routes. WR's were mostly left 1 on 1, even with their secondary banged up.

Until the ball gets to the WRs consistently without the infamous sacks/t.o. blowups (regardless of QB/OL fault), it will be very difficult to run with all those bodies cheating up towards the line. Even with our success in the first half, they kept coming and it eventually panned out. Right now we're feeding the dog under the table once in awhile instead of all the time, but the dog's not going anywhere.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

They can't seem to complete long passes and 170 yards of passing isn't going to keep opposing defenses honest.

We'll see how things progress.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes. I noticed Dal was aggressively cheating up on the LOS the whole game which clogged up the holes. Look how aggressive they were on the TD pass to Williams. They seemed only concerned with taking it to our O-line to put the pressure on, and doubling VD when he ran routes. WR's were mostly left 1 on 1, even with their secondary banged up.

Until the ball gets to the WRs consistently without the infamous sacks/t.o. blowups (regardless of QB/OL fault), it will be very difficult to run with all those bodies cheating up towards the line. Even with our success in the first half, they kept coming and it eventually panned out. Right now we're feeding the dog under the table once in awhile instead of all the time, but the dog's not going anywhere.

Well said

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I re-watched the first half yesterday. Play of the game was Brook's 3rd down offside penalty. Defense was off the field and it completely turned everything around.

I'm hoping to get time to re-watch the second half tonight/tomorrow to key in on the LB's. My theory right now is the D-Line has complete freedom to go aggro with the LB's cheating against the run.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

it could be argued either way but for me, i'm still with the "run opens up the pass". not asking for a solid run game either.

for what its worth, i'm still for run because thats what this team is now. its also less prone to mistakes (turnovers and penalties) running than passing.

next, you want to start a game mistake free and not help your opponent. so even if we had a better passing team, i'd still think "run sets up the pass".

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it could be argued either way but for me, i'm still with the "run opens up the pass". not asking for a solid run game either.

for what its worth, i'm still for run because thats what this team is now. its also less prone to mistakes (turnovers and penalties) running than passing.

next, you want to start a game mistake free and not help your opponent. so even if we had a better passing team, i'd still think "run sets up the pass".

Thats's true, the run sets up the pass. But there are some teams that don't need the run to set up the pass. New England and Green Bay can pass without running well. Sure running helps but it is not necessary. We just need a QB that is in a system for a while. The main reason we have struggled on offense for so long is because we never stuck with the same guys. Some OC's were stolen away and some were horrible. Hopefully Harbaugh/Roman are the right guys for the future. We just gotta stick with them and find a QB and stick with him.