• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My thoughts on the game/Alex Smith

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. You would then be in the shades of gray when looking at Smith camp.
Cause you posted before giving Smith NO ability for beating pressure with throws or movement.
He obviously has something cause he hasn't been the worst on this team or in the league last year.

Why the hell should I care about shades of gray? Why the fuck does it matter that he makes the OL slightly less worse than what Dilfer, Weinker, and Hill made the OL look?

I don't know why I'm arguing with you. Your entire argument is nonsense. If you're not gonna try and prove how Alex Smith HELPS the OL, move on.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've never claimed Smith is doing the extra special things. He is doing a good job with the stuff that is easily possible to judge from the TV broadcasts.

Harbaugh and co saw how the OL was doing in preseason.

92 attempts
12 sacks
17 QB hits

They started the season looking to help the line with shorter passes.
First Down Plays With 10 Yards To Go, Smith has completed 86.7% of those passes.
Sure they are 6.5 yards when completed outside of the longest one but 2nd and 3 or 4 is a good place to be.

Of 14 passes on 3rd, 7 1st downs

Of 13 rushes on 3rd, 2 1st downs

On NFL Net Playbook show they only showed 1 play but the theme was the O-Line was not getting any push. On a counter run the fullback couldn't even make it to the LOS clean cause Staley in a 1 on 1 got pushed right into the gap that it was designed to go through *LG*. His left leg ended up where Potty's right leg was at the snap.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell should I care about shades of gray? Why the fuck does it matter that he makes the OL slightly less worse than what Dilfer, Weinker, and Hill made the OL look?

I don't know why I'm arguing with you. Your entire argument is nonsense. If you're not gonna try and prove how Alex Smith HELPS the OL, move on.

the offensive line sucks. no analysis needed. put this line on any team and they don't make the playoffs.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never claimed Smith is doing the extra special things. He is doing a good job with the stuff that is easily possible to judge from the TV broadcasts.

Harbaugh and co saw how the OL was doing in preseason.

92 attempts
12 sacks
17 QB hits

They started the season looking to help the line with shorter passes.
First Down Plays With 10 Yards To Go, Smith has completed 86.7% of those passes.
Sure they are 6.5 yards when completed outside of the longest one but 2nd and 3 or 4 is a good place to be.

Of 14 passes on 3rd, 7 1st downs

Of 13 rushes on 3rd, 2 1st downs

On NFL Net Playbook show they only showed 1 play but the theme was the O-Line was not getting any push. On a counter run the fullback couldn't even make it to the LOS clean cause Staley in a 1 on 1 got pushed right into the gap that it was designed to go through *LG*. His left leg ended up where Potty's right leg was at the snap.

Now you're just rambling. If you're not gonna at least try and disprove my argument that Smith doesn't help the OL in your next post, then I'm gonna take that as a complete concession.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the offensive line sucks. no analysis needed. put this line on any team and they don't make the playoffs.

I don't know about that. I think our OL is better than both the Packers' and Bears', and they were in the NFC championship game last year. Our OL is better than the Colts' and Chargers', and they've been perennial playoff players. Steelers' OL hasn't been great either.

Regardless, what does that have to do with the fact that Alex Smith doesn't know how to change plays at the LOS, can't alter blocking schemes, lacks any semblance of a pocket presence, makes slow and ill-advised decisions, and can't create on his own? The OL isn't great, but this debate is about whether Alex makes them play better or not. Try and keep up before you chime in.

But if we're in the business of making blanked, hypothetical statements, how about this one?

Alex Smith sucks. No Analysis needed. Put him on any team and they don't make the playoffs.

See how easy that was?

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the result of them winning a playoff game was the long term commitment to Smith would you still want that playoff win? It would be a tough call for me.

What's the threshold? Are we gonna make the playoffs only to be blown out the first game? Are we gonna just miss the playoffs and play competitively the entire year?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All these stats are great and all. But they do not include the context of the LB's cheating to take away our running game. If someone like Tom Brady is on our team they won't be able to do that opening up the passing game. Harbaugh has done a very good job of getting first down pass plays. But the defense isn't adjusting and this gave Dal's d-line an edge to create pressure. Until this can be exposed consistently in the passing game, we will see continued pressure put on the line.

Of the 13 rushes on third down, how many of them were third and longs where we conservatively ran up the middle to punt? Multiple. Also there were a few QB scrambles that got positive yards but weren't close. Those are in reality failed pass plays.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Regardless, what does that have to do with the fact that Alex Smith doesn't know how to change plays at the LOS, can't alter blocking schemes, lacks any semblance of a pocket presence, makes slow and ill-advised decisions, and can't create on his own?

Why stop there? He smells, he's a huge liar, he always brings the wrong dish to potlucks, talks too loudly, he takes up two spaces in the parking lot, he is a terrible dancer.....

Seek help.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. I think our OL is better than both the Packers' and Bears', and they were in the NFC championship game last year. Our OL is better than the Colts' and Chargers', and they've been perennial playoff players. Steelers' OL hasn't been great either.

Regardless, what does that have to do with the fact that Alex Smith doesn't know how to change plays at the LOS, can't alter blocking schemes, lacks any semblance of a pocket presence, makes slow and ill-advised decisions, and can't create on his own? The OL isn't great, but this debate is about whether Alex makes them play better or not. Try and keep up before you chime in.

But if we're in the business of making blanked, hypothetical statements, how about this one?

Alex Smith sucks. No Analysis needed. Put him on any team and they don't make the playoffs.

See how easy that was?

i dont recall rushers blowing up plays on a consistent basis with any team outside of chicago. but that might have more to do with martz than the line.

no push, no pocket. the line is horrible and the worst in the league.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting start: Last season, Peyton Manning attempted 679 passes and was only sacked 16 times. So far this season, Kerry Collins has attempted 69 passes and has been sacked 5 times.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Packers in 09 had a really rough time for a bit. The Bears are worse on paper but with a top 5 defense is how they won games. The Chargers have been better than avg, so that is ridiculous. Colts and Steelers are tough to judge because of how Manning is a wizard and Ben is a gladiator.
But to say we are better is being out on a limb.

The numbers I have posted before show a reduction of Sacks usually when Smith was QB vs. others. Seems like the obligation to prove something contrary to the facts on the surface is yours.

He has been more efficient than Sanchez the past 2 years. While he has had a garbage O-Line, Sanchez has had a top 3, a lot would say the best.

h-hour

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Personally, Im sick of watching the 49ers try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

If we're gonna live and die with Smith this year at least use plays where he's most effective. If that means setting up in shotgun 90% of the time and spreading out the D, then fine, do it. It seems to me that he is most effective running in a hurry up as well...try that a little more. Script a certain number of plays and try it at least. Im so sick of watching gore run into the line for 1 yard gains. It seems to me that the draw plays worked pretty well last week, the PA passes were a total waste of time.

Put Smith where he is most comfortable and lets go with that. If it works, great. If it doesnt, I'd still rather lose that way than lose the traditional '49er way' (AKA roll over and play dead).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All these stats are great and all. But they do not include the context of the LB's cheating to take away our running game. If someone like Tom Brady is on our team they won't be able to do that opening up the passing game. Harbaugh has done a very good job of getting first down pass plays. But the defense isn't adjusting and this gave Dal's d-line an edge to create pressure. Until this can be exposed consistently in the passing game, we will see continued pressure put on the line.

Of the 13 rushes on third down, how many of them were third and longs where we conservatively ran up the middle to punt? Multiple. Also there were a few QB scrambles that got positive yards but weren't close. Those are in reality failed pass plays.

The cheating up served two purposes: it put pressure on the ground game and it took away some short passing lanes. They could do that because of the pressure they were getting only rushing four guys.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The cheating up served two purposes: it put pressure on the ground game and it took away some short passing lanes. They could do that because of the pressure they were getting only rushing four guys.

Our numbers were usually OK with Vernon and a fullback. But the line was failing to even pick the right guy or area to work. I wonder what other teams are gonna do with that tape.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I tried to post this earlier but for some reason it didn't go through. The way I see it, if the D-Line knows the LB's have their back in the run game, it allows them to also play more aggressively and it turns up the heat on the pass rush.

Braylon going down early meant the only player needing a double team was VD. This allowed the safety not tied down to VD to also cheat up. Not 100% sure that's what was happening with the TV angles, but it's a very good bet this let the LB's cheat.

What I'm driving at is with this support the D-Line can have a pre-snap pass rushing mentality and not being as concerned with over-shooting their gap responsibilities to stop Gore.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

See how easy that was?

I'm going to totally agree with most of this. I think if the 49ers coaches could get the players to do the 2 to 4 second holds that all those 0-lines get away with while in passing protection and even to have holes for the running back to go through they would be just as effective as those teams 0-lines.

Of course that scenario only works with a QB that has all the traits you stated above.

BTW, Does anyone think that the 0-line problems might have something to do with all these guys being drafted to be a 3 yards and a cloud of dust team instead of a WCO team? Anyone think they aren't quick enough for the plays that Harbaugh would like to run?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm going to totally agree with most of this. I think if the 49ers coaches could get the players to do the 2 to 4 second holds that all those 0-lines get away with while in passing protection and even to have holes for the running back to go through they would be just as effective as those teams 0-lines.

Of course that scenario only works with a QB that has all the traits you stated above.

BTW, Does anyone think that the 0-line problems might have something to do with all these guys being drafted to be a 3 yards and a cloud of dust team instead of a WCO team? Anyone think they aren't quick enough for the plays that Harbaugh would like to run?

I do... I mentioned beefore that the OL the niners need to fit the WCO, should be less bulky and more athletic.. However, the WCO version the Niners are running does include power running instead of finese running... so... It's hard to say