• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

my thoughts on Chip Kelly to NFL

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's technically false. Fundamental defensive line play dictates that the QB be considered a runner by the backside defensive end. He is supposed to aim for the backfield half of the QB on any runs that go away from him until it is determined that he doesn't have the ball. This is supposed to prevent bootleg runs and reverses.

The spread option forces the defense to stay true to their fundamentals and not bite on the possible handoff. The more this style gets run int pros the more consistently the defensive linemen will stick to their responsibilities and not go for the glory.

It may be technically false, but it's more of a practical concern when you are facing RG3 than Peyton Manning, who I don't think we're going to see running zone read anytime soon. I think your 2nd paragraph supports what I was aiming at about Ds cheating (again, as a practical option when you're not facing a mobile QB).

Last edited by a moderator:

StateoftheSport.com

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point, I was just trying to say that the spread read will go away once defenses in the NFL learn that they can't ignore the fundamentals anymore. That's why I don't think a full on spread option head coach will be successful in the pros. It will be fun for a season or 2 if you like that kind of offense though.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just the spread read that makes Kelly's offense so effective. It's the tempo at which it is ran.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Kelly pluck D Thomas from the arena football league to be his QB?

No because D-Thomas can't even throw correctly. Dude also afraid of competition as he knew Mariota was going to take his spot and didn't want to get embarrassed as a SR with a 23-3 record getting passed up by a RS Freshman.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly interviewing with Cleveland today, Buffalo tonight.