• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

my thoughts on Chip Kelly to NFL

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what to think of Chip Kelly going to the NFL. I guess it depends on if he does leave Oregon and how he leaves Oregon.

If he leaves Oregon without leaving behind severe sanctions, then I will root for him and become a fan of his NFL team that he inherits. However, if he leaves Oregon and we get hammered due to his connections to Willie Lyles and other shady business, then I will have a hard time rooting for him, as he see him as jumping ship.

Many reports are coming out saying that the Browns are really going hard for Kelly and could be giving him a lot of control in the front office, which is exactly what Kelly wants in the NFL. So he can get his guys to properly run what he wants to run. Browns on the surface seem like a bad franchise to go to, but sounds like they are very young, and will have the opportunity to take the risks they want under Chip.

IF he does indeed go to Cleveland. Can you imagine his system in the AFC North?! IN a division loaded with your typical rather boring teams in Pittsburgh, Baltimore who are heavily defensive minded, you would be bringing in one hell of an offensive minded coach. Honestly, I see Kelly more in an Eagles visor than I do a Browns visor.

I still have this little piece of me that thinks Kelly stays at Oregon because of what I have heard from a few recruits that have said Kelly has told them straight face that he is coming back. And also how Kelly might stay just to spite everyone for creating these rumors of him jumping. (He is that type of guy) and maybe wait out the NFL one more year.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Branden Weeden has #DucksSpeed!

Obviously Weeden would be out, especially after he says, "I can't run the spread option read." When asked about Kelly to Cleveland.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Foles has #DuckSpeed???

Again, obviously Foles wouldn't stay. Either they would retain Vick or draft a mobile QB. Both Browns and eagles will get a good draft pick.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it would be really tough to find that guy. Vick and RGIII are the exception, not the rule with college QBs succeeding in the nFL and Vicks success has been marginal at best and RGIII has only been successful for one season. Add in the fact that the AFC North has two of the best and most aggressive defenses and I think Kelly would have to adjust his approach pretty substantially.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he could be looking at Geno Smith or someone a little mobile just to hold him over until another great dual thread comes out of college.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have time to wait though. This is the NFL. If you are new, you get 3 maybe 4 years.

True. But I can imagine Chip will be able to do enough without the perfect personnel to keep him around. I could see him getting 5-7 wins with Browns first couple years, that is very good for Cleveland and could hold him until he gets what he wants. But I think with what the Browns are offering him, which is control over player contracts and draft selections he will get his personnel sooner rather than later.

Seeing Redskins and Patriots success with the tempo of Pats and spread attack of Redskins, I think chip will be able to have success in NFL.

StateoftheSport.com

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Chip Kelly in the NFL unless he develops a different offense. The spread read has about 1-2 more seasons before NFL defenses smother it out of the league.

I really don't understand why teams would want to run it anyway. It puts your QB in a lot of risk and if they keep getting more of it they will have to revoke the slide rule and treat QB's like running backs.

Kelly can be successful at the next level as long as he can adopt a more pro style offense.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Chip Kelly in the NFL unless he develops a different offense. The spread read has about 1-2 more seasons before NFL defenses smother it out of the league.

I really don't understand why teams would want to run it anyway. It puts your QB in a lot of risk and if they keep getting more of it they will have to revoke the slide rule and treat QB's like running backs.

Kelly can be successful at the next level as long as he can adopt a more pro style offense.

The Defense has to account for the extra runner that way - harder to get the mismatches you want. The question is if the new QBs can be durable enough to pull it off. Guys like Kaepernick and Newton are big, fast, and physically tough. OTOH, RG3 has taken some shots, and gotten beaten up here and there, (though he's obviously been extremely effective with his legs).

I do agree that Kelly's offensive philosophy would be a big gamble in the NFL. Stanford beat Oregon's O by just tackling well in space, and they had the guys to do it. They didn't let 4 yard plays turn into 12 yard plays, didn't let 12 yard plays turn into 68 yard plays. Most NFL teams have the personnel on D to do that, too.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip meeting with..

Cleveland, Buffalo and Philly this weekend..

yesterday he publically claimed he had no talks with NFL teams and was focused on Fiesta Bowl. Today he schedules up 3 interviews.

Worries me when he said he didn't know who Willie Lyles was.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be interested to see what he'd do with CJ Spiller at Buffalo.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland is young, talented team. I cant see his system going w/ what the Browns offer, it doesnt match to me.

Buffalo or Philly would be more suited for him.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns have been run so incompetently, seems like it would be a very tough sell to someone with other options.

I'm pretty sure he'll end up in Philly.

StateoftheSport.com

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Defense has to account for the extra runner that way - harder to get the mismatches you want. The question is if the new QBs can be durable enough to pull it off. Guys like Kaepernick and Newton are big, fast, and physically tough. OTOH, RG3 has taken some shots, and gotten beaten up here and there, (though he's obviously been extremely effective with his legs).

I do agree that Kelly's offensive philosophy would be a big gamble in the NFL. Stanford beat Oregon's O by just tackling well in space, and they had the guys to do it. They didn't let 4 yard plays turn into 12 yard plays, didn't let 12 yard plays turn into 68 yard plays. Most NFL teams have the personnel on D to do that, too.

That's technically false. Fundamental defensive line play dictates that the QB be considered a runner by the backside defensive end. He is supposed to aim for the backfield half of the QB on any runs that go away from him until it is determined that he doesn't have the ball. This is supposed to prevent bootleg runs and reverses.

The spread option forces the defense to stay true to their fundamentals and not bite on the possible handoff. The more this style gets run int pros the more consistently the defensive linemen will stick to their responsibilities and not go for the glory.