• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My thoughts from the game that I got to see live.

wishful thinking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got home from the game. Very weird to have that many empty seats in that stadium. Was sitting at the 40 yard line on the Broncos side of the field and got to watch everything very well.

Drew Lock- Shurmur is really hindering is development. After watching it in one practice in August and watching a game in person, he is worse than Scangarello. You can really predict if it's a run or pass about 90 percent of the time because of the formation. I won't get into it too much but when it's a pass, the running back is about a full yard closer to the line of scrimmage. Also, the spacing is horrible in this offense. To many bunch formations, patterns where wide receivers are running to close to each other (makes it easy to defend). Not enough motion on obvious passing downs to dictate what the defense is doing. Overall, Shurmur is really bad and I was fearful of hiring him as he's really only had 1 good year as a coordinator (Minnesota).

The run defense could be bad for the rest of the year. Losing Purcell is going to hurt more than most people think. Deshawn and Sylvester Williams were getting pushed back 2 to 3 yards on every play which makes it tough as it was usually 1 lineman getting to them and allowing the guard or center to get to the 2nd level easy to get to Johnson and Jewell. Big concern.

Hopefully we get Glasgow back soon because Schlottman is horrible. I mean he was really bad. On almost every pass play, he was getting beat or at the very least getting bull-rushed into Lock. Cushenberry had to help on his man about 60 to 70 percent of the time. On the last drive, Ingram was rushing into that weak link and that is why you were seeing the short dump off passes to Gordon and Fant is that Ingram was consistently bull-rushing him badly. You might have to get Muti into action or at least as the backup. I think Schlottman is active on game days only because he can play center as well.

Tackling was not good either.

Now the Good! Kareem Jackson was all over the place. That could be the toughest player pound for pound in the league. I know he hurt one of our guys, but he was all over the place.

DaeSean Hamilton looked good. He did have a bad penalty on the block in the back, but he was aggressive running with the ball on all 4 of his receptions.
Jeudy does get good seperation, but the Chargers secondary had a safety cheating to his side about 80 percent of the time. If the o-line could protect and Lock could anticipate better, he would've had 7 to 8 catches for 100 to 120 yards.
Hamler needs to get the ball more. He didn't see the field as much as I thought he would, but this is where Shurmur really sucks. They need to put him in motion more and do more things like Kansas City does with Hill and Hardman. Get them in space. He does look really shifty and reminds me of Eddie Royal, but even faster and not as physical.
The offensive tackles had a tough task and even though Bosa missed a lot of the 2nd half and Bolles had 2 penalties, they did a decent job on Ingram and Bosa.
Lock is really hard to evaluate as you see in up and down play in person. He really didn't get much help for 2 1/2 quarters with no running game, pass protection from the interior was not good especially and terrible scheme. I think that with them being aggressive going downfield in the Patriots and K.C. game and getting ripped for it is why Shurmur was trying to get Lock to play conservative which I hate. You've got to make the defense play the whole field and the reasons why we ran the ball well was partly because of that threat of going deep.
Lindsay is are best offensive player right now and he needs to get the ball more in the passing game. He looked much quicker than any back on either team. Gordon runs tough, but I don't see any elite qualities from him.

They're just frustrating to watch because you can see the speed and playmaking potential, but they're really poorly used.

wishful thinking

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Callahan. He does remind you of Chris Harris from 2 to 3 years ago. Very physical for a short guy and plays with great instincts. Play of the game might of been that interception in the end zone. He does play the best coverage of all CB's.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome take, you just might e sniped the POTM away from me with that hot take

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the eye witness news Wishful.

Here are my thoughts:

Some of the biggest most convincing hits I have seen landed since Atwater - were laid out more than once today by Kareen Jackson and Josey Jewell. Those guys are punnishers.

Hamilton sticks around because he is such a great downfield blocker - despite his one penalty at the wrong time yesterday. Glad to see him get a catch or two.

I have criticized Shumur more than once this season, but I will hang a caveat on it because - we are dealing with an offense yesterday where 3 of the 4 receivers - were rookies and Fant being the other one has one year under his belt (the top two receivers Sutton and Patrick are out). The Oline coach was absent from the game. Lock has not looked comfortable in the offense, but the advantage of being 21 points down was the Lock got to let it rip - and I hope Shumur took note. Lock's overthrow on Fant - was due to bad footwork, but in the closing drives Lock was stepping into his throws making them more accurate.

Jerry Jeudy is the most god awful tackler I have every seen. I thought it was Hamler last game, but both last week and this week Jeudy's effort to make a tackle after an interception should be on every NFL blooper reel for this season.

I still don't understand why Gordon is not the go to guy on short yardage at the goal line - that was a big part of his value. Nice catch by him in the last drive - though.

I think I saw Shelby Harris and Bradley Chubb angry with each other early in the 2nd half - don't know what that was about.

The last time the Broncos made a big comeback in the 2nd half against the Chargers - they went on to a great season. I hope history repeats.

Phillip LIndsay - is a spark plug to this team emotionally - he needs to be signed to a new contract.

By my eyes Callahan is out playing Bouye at this point in the season.

Go Broncos!

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mingo- Hamilton had a catch Or 5 yesterday. ;). Led the team in receiving.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep waiting for the RBs to be involved with attacking a Defense, and not just being the check down option. Any notice what Hines did yesterday? He was used in a way to attack the defense. This is a lot like what Kamara is used. I don't think our backs have the agility in the open field, but using them on a wheel route or an angle route. I expected to see more of this going into the season, but it has not been there. I thought Gordon would be a beast on many of these due to his receiving.

One thing that impressed me is that the Broncos made a come back with all really young and inexperienced guys at the WR position. I am hoping that the success yesterday will lead to more confidence that they can do it at the NFL level. Really I think experience and confidence to be successful at the NFL level are key in their development.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've all but "written off" this year as far as expectations, but it will be a joy to see this team next year with a full year of experience, an offseason training camp, and some preseason games.

I think our average starter age is 24 or 25, and not having the summer to practice really hurts young teams.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep waiting for the RBs to be involved with attacking a Defense, and not just being the check down option. Any notice what Hines did yesterday? He was used in a way to attack the defense. This is a lot like what Kamara is used. I don't think our backs have the agility in the open field, but using them on a wheel route or an angle route. I expected to see more of this going into the season, but it has not been there. I thought Gordon would be a beast on many of these due to his receiving.

One thing that impressed me is that the Broncos made a come back with all really young and inexperienced guys at the WR position. I am hoping that the success yesterday will lead to more confidence that they can do it at the NFL level. Really I think experience and confidence to be successful at the NFL level are key in their development.
I guess there is something illegal about having both Melvin and Philip on the field at the same time.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess there is something illegal about having both Melvin and Philip on the field at the same time.
Turns out the unis don't have a pocket to hold the coin flip to see who has to block.