• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Solution to tanking

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just thought of something simple where you don't have to change the odds at all and it would curb tanking quite a bit; eliminate pick protections. Think about it. Most of the teams that tank each year are tanking to preserve their draft pick whether its Top 3, Top 5, Top whatever. Lakers and Kings are doing it this year, the Warriors famously did it for a pick that ended up being Harrison Barnes, etc etc. Not every team can be the worst team in the league so if you're 5 games away from that, why bother? But if you're 3 games away from losing your pick? Teams are gonna lose.

Get rid of pick protections. If a pick is traded, its gone, no ifs ands or buts

This is one idea that I could get behind. It does not solve everything, but I think it is more than fair.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's cancel the season now then
well according to just about the vast majority of people on here the season is over already...why not? lol

I am one of the few people that DONT think the NBA is a foregone conclusion on September 8th

I was merely saying that the people predicting the Nets pick to be closer to 10- then 3- are going to be wrong.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well according to just about the vast majority of people on here the season is over already...why not? lol

I am one of the few people that DONT think the NBA is a foregone conclusion on September 8th

I was merely saying that the people predicting the Nets pick to be closer to 10- then 3- are going to be wrong.

Nets can finish anywhere between 1 and 7

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is that the lottery was designed to prevent tanking.

It doesn't work. Do away with it. The worst team should get the first pick. Teams will tank anyway. I do not think it is fair to give pick 1 to a marginal playoff team. What if a team like OKC had won in 2015? They would have added KAT to Westbrook and Durant.

The draft should give the worst teams the best picks. The 6ers tank would not have been so prolonged if they had just gotten those elite picks like they should have.

Yeah, that's my biggest issue.

The draft is supposed to help the legit bad teams, but the problem is that those teams end up getting screwed.

My idea was the bottom 5 teams all get the same odds but lock everyone else out. I think it's more absurd how the Cavs got Wiggins or how the Bulls got Rose. Absolutely not an acceptable result IMO.

The difference between the bottom 5 teams isn't likely to be that great, a lot of it will be luck and health (which also partly luck anyway). But teams have no incentive to tank beyond 5.

Each team has a 20% shot at 1-1 and anyone can be 1-5, so no more locking the worst team out at 4.

That way the 5 worst teams are guaranteed the 5 best players in the draft, well...the opportunity to get them.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it. 30 ping pong balls each with a team name on them. Completely random draft order every year.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who did? Or are you full of shit again?

Forget who it was...but no, not full of shit on that one.

I remember this picture :wtf: literally popping into my head when I saw the post.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The draft is supposed to help the legit bad teams, but the problem is that those teams end up getting screwed.

My idea was the bottom 5 teams all get the same odds but lock everyone else out. I think it's more absurd how the Cavs got Wiggins or how the Bulls got Rose. Absolutely not an acceptable result IMO.

The difference between the bottom 5 teams isn't likely to be that great, a lot of it will be luck and health (which also partly luck anyway). But teams have no incentive to tank beyond 5.

Each team has a 20% shot at 1-1 and anyone can be 1-5, so no more locking the worst team out at 4.

That way the 5 worst teams are guaranteed the 5 best players in the draft, well...the opportunity to get them.

I would be okay with that.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be okay with that.

Thanks.

It's a really hard balance between stopping tanking and helping out the truly bad teams.

This helps both in some fashion. But you're always going to have some tanking, but now there's no reason to have a season goal of winning 12 games.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NBA will never do this. Makes too damn much sense.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA will never do this. Makes too damn much sense.

I wonder if I proposed it and they implemented it if they'd give me a finders fee....or a consulting gig. :dhd: