• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My Solution to tanking

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give the lowest 3 teams from each conference equal chances at each of the bottom 6 slots. That will end much

kVZCN3.gif

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sixers would've been fine by now if they weren't stuck in the 80's while keeping on drafting frontcourt players in a modern backcourt driven league. But I'm stoked to see Simmons playing point guard next season.

Which backcourt guys should they have picked?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way you can purposefully prove that. In any case a coach can say a player's dealing with back spasms or tweaked their ankle.

My approach would be that you can't have a top 5 pick in consecutive drafts (unless the pick is coming from another team). So we'll use the 76ers as an example here:

The 76ers are likely going to have a top 5 pick this draft, which seems to be the case every year. Next year, if they find themselves in the lottery, the rule should be that even though they're in the lotto, they can go no higher than 6th.

Yeah, the bold is the issue with trying to punish teams for tanking.

There is really no way, imo, to truly stop or even curb tanking. The reason, imo, is because it's the FO's that tank, not the coaches and players. For example, the Lakers tanked by trading away Lou Williams and shutting down Deng and Mozgov.

If the league wants to complain about them tanking (which they are or were) they can point to the extra first round pick they got from Houston and say "We did it for the future health of our franchise."

If the league complains about shutting down Deng and Mozgov. They can either say "They weren't producing so we decided to work on developing the young guys" or come up with a bogus injury for each of them.

Meanwhile, no one can say that the players and coaches are trying to tank. Especially with wins over 2 playoff teams in their last 2 games.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a crazy idea.

Once a team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs... wins start helping their lottery odds and losses start hurting them.

Before you are eliminated mathematically... every loss gives you 1 point. After you are elminated... every win gives you 1 point. The more points - the more odds you get at top picks.

Too much math. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. I made sure I took up a major with very few math classes needed to graduate

Took college statistics with my girlfriend at the time so we could help each other because we had heard it was really tough.

I understood most of what we learned in the first half of the class and she understood most of what we learned in the second half. Between the 2 of us, we were able to help each other get C's and literally celebrated getting them. lol

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. It's been pretty underwhelming.

D'Angelo would've been great though.

He went before our pick. Because the league has been cheating us and favoring the Lakers (and Cavs) for this entire process.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went before our pick. Because the league has been cheating us and favoring the Lakers (and Cavs) for this entire process.

At least you managed to get a franchise player and building block in Embiid. That's something.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the league has been cheating us and favoring the Lakers

If Magic shows up for the lottery selection and the Lakers get the #1 pick...the conspiracy theories are going to be epic.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you managed to get a franchise player and building block in Embiid. That's something.

Nah, he'll always be hurt. Hopefully he's healthy for a few full playoff runs.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Magic shows up for the lottery selection and the Lakers get the #1 pick...the conspiracy theories are going to be epic.

So will Adam Silver's murder.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, he'll always be hurt. Hopefully he's healthy for a few full playoff runs.

Richaun Holmes though :clap:

And to think he was warming the bench for as long as he was. He's a significantly better player than Okafor.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple solution IMO because I'm so over these bad players "resting" their players. So here is what I knew.

Give all teams who's in lottery the same odds of getting the top pick(s). This will end most of this tanking we're seeing from these bad teams.
that would definitely reduce the incentives to tank----

but it may create some unintended consequences.

If you are the HEat and on the border of 8 and 9---- and 9 gives you the SAME chance at the 1st pick as the worst team in the league--- and your altnernative is playing the Cavs-- what do you do?

or- just say the same in the West.

If you are the Blazers and Nuggets- and the choice is between being first round fodder for the Warriors- or having an equal chance as the worst team i nthe leaguea t the #1 pick- what do you do?

if anything just weight it LESS---- equal from 1-14 among the playoff teams seems way to drastic.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. I made sure I took up a major with very few math classes needed to graduate
Me? Hell no. I hated math. College statistics is the devil. lol

Pussies.

Can't talk too much shit though. The only math I had to take as part of my major was Calc 1, Statistics and Trig.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple solution IMO because I'm so over these bad players "resting" their players. So here is what I knew.

Give all teams who's in lottery the same odds of getting the top pick(s). This will end most of this tanking we're seeing from these bad teams.
Like the idea. Maybe the top 4 teams go toward the bottom, but the rest should all have same odds. No need to give Cleveland and GSW the top pick.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thought.
Keep regular season conference play/scheduling the same.
When playoffs start seed the teams 1-16.
If the Clippers and Wizards meet in round 1 (for example), tough shit with the travel.
It wont stop the bottom teams from tanking but it will make the better teams think twice about resting players.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just thought of something simple where you don't have to change the odds at all and it would curb tanking quite a bit; eliminate pick protections. Think about it. Most of the teams that tank each year are tanking to preserve their draft pick whether its Top 3, Top 5, Top whatever. Lakers and Kings are doing it this year, the Warriors famously did it for a pick that ended up being Harrison Barnes, etc etc. Not every team can be the worst team in the league so if you're 5 games away from that, why bother? But if you're 3 games away from losing your pick? Teams are gonna lose.

Get rid of pick protections. If a pick is traded, its gone, no ifs ands or buts