• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My review/thoughts on our playoff win

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good god, stressful!! Thankfully we pulled it off. It overall was a pretty frustrating game but we got the win and are moving on

-The defense started out unbelievable. We were getting pressure, stopping the run and had good coverage. We were really falling a part later on in the game but made a few plays here and there.

-Reid had a lot of good tackles. He saved us a lot of yards out there. Coverage seemed good other than one bad coverage on Cobb on the Cox blitz I believe. In Reid's defense though, its tough to cover someone that long, especially when blitzing.

-Crabtree is a monster. He came up time and time again. I dont see how we cant sign him to an extension. He is so huge for us. We DO NO win this game if we dont have Crabtree.

-Aldon played a good game too. He was getting held a shit load of times and still drew some pressure.

-The refs were pretty shitty. I like when refs let them play but this was waaaaay too much. So many holds. I lost count how many holds their were.

-Willis and Bowman really struggled. I'm not sure what the whole problem was but they were missing tackles, blowing coverages, getting juked, etc. Probably the worst game I have seen from both of them combined. Usually one or the other steps up.

-Boldin was disappoiting. Had a couple of good plays here and there but that was it. On Kaps INT, Boldin seemed to be joggging/giving up on the play. This allowed Tramon Williams to make a play.

-Kaepernick, at time, stared down his receivers and only went to his 1st read again. No surprises here. At times though he went through his progressions and did check down a few times. His scrambling ability was HUGE. He made some great decisions here. Overall, he threw the ball pretty good given the circumstances. The pass to Vernon Davis was pretty risky and a very good throw, I was holding my breath on that one.

-Our oline is just over rated. We really arent that great of run blocking line even though this is supposed to be their strength. They did have some good pass protection at the end. Iupati stood out on a few plays of playing poorly.

-We HAVE to fix this time management. This game was a disaster.

-Cox sucks. No surprises.

-Bring on the Panthers!!!!

25kuge9jpg.gif

The pass was to Davis and Davis didn't attack the ball.

http://fansided.com/2014/01/05/packers-tramon-williams-intercepts-lays-colin-kaepernick-gif/

Last edited by a moderator:

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody hear anything on Vernon Davis? On NFL gameday highlights, I think they said Vernon got dinged up and was out of the line up at the end of the game(guess I didnt even notice) I know he was getting stretched and worked on during the game at one point.

He looked fine and good spirits in the post game interviews...

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's enough criticism to go around for just about everything, but one thing I was happy about with our offense is that every time Green Bay took the lead or tied it our guys went right back to take the lead back.

Bow and Willis didn't have a great game, but when watching their missed tackles they weren't wrapping up like they normally do and I have to think that was weather related and they couldn't feel their hands like normal. Seeing Bow in his after game interview with Erin Andrews, he was shaking a bit from the cold and I doubt it was any better on the field during TV timeouts etc. I also saw a couple times Bow and Willis got cracked back on and knocked to the ground. First time I've seen that before. The Packers really went after them and I think with the physical game and cold, they were worn out.

The teams probably going to need the next two days off to recover to get ready for another physical pounding.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Its pretty hard for me to criticize anything considering the elements they were playing in. I am just happy they didn't come out frozen and flat and actually put a game together. I was very worried about our secondary, but they held up. Very impressed with our big play protection all year and this game was no different even without rogers and wright healthy. The majority of their big plays came with blatant holding, I thought we did a decent job getting pressure and was really frustrated with the no calls on their offensive line. Aldon Smith in particular was held about 10 or so times without a call and he still had a pretty good game. We need our run game to do better than that against the panthers to win next week.

That tackle on Cobb by Reid to save the TD was huge. That allowed our D to stop them and force a game tying FG. That meant we didn't need 6 to win (would have been down 4)

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the 4 playoff games this week, has anyone else noticed that the referees are calling the playoff games way differently? To me, it looks like they're basically letting them play unless they spot something obvious. I'm under the impression that the NFL front office talked to them.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Hearing lots of praise of Kap. I don't know.... He came through when we needed him, but we should have won this one comfortably. I'm sure the weather played a part - even Rodgers wasn't throwing with accuracy down the field - but he made several awful, awful decisions. He's incredibly lucky he didn't throw an INT in the endzone in the first quarter, and a pick-six in the fourth. Not to mention the INT he did throw. I couldn't give him the game ball on this one, despite the plays he did make.

I agree we should have won the game going away. Kap did make some bad decisions. But he made plays. He's a playmaker! I have been one of the biggiest detractors of Kap's reading ability. But he made plays. The dumpoff to Gore on the last drive was clutch.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why people thought this. They have an elite QB, a great running game, and strong group of WRs. Excellent offense on all levels. Defensively they're weak, but playing AT Lambeau in THAT weather in the postseason can make it difficult on most offenses.

Anyone who thinks we should've blown the Packers out of the building really needs to take a step back and look harder at the match up. I expected this game to go all way through the 4th quarter.

Anyone hating on Kaep needs to grab a clue, he is 1/3 QB to throw for over 200 and rush over 90 yards in a playoff game, he was bad ass scrambling, of just buying time on that last drive to hit Crabtree

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure its so much the offense in terms of players but the bloody playcalling in the redzone...

8 pts were lost when we were right there in the first two drives... that can't happen and it can't happen again vs Carolina...

Against Carolina, we'll have a hard time even getting to the red zone. And if we struggled to punch it in against GB's D, it's likely to be that much harder against the a legit front seven.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't understand why people thought this. They have an elite QB, a great running game, and strong group of WRs. Excellent offense on all levels. Defensively they're weak, but playing AT Lambeau in THAT weather in the postseason can make it difficult on most offenses.

Anyone who thinks we should've blown the Packers out of the building really needs to take a step back and look harder at the match up. I expected this game to go all way through the 4th quarter.

I didn't think we should win comfortably going into this game. The GB team we played today is far better than their 8-7-1 record. I thought it while/after watching the game. Our offense should have moved the ball at will. We didn't come close. The D played very well on the whole. We allowed some long drives, but no big plays, and they got pretty lucky on some crucial conversions - most noticeably the 4th down conversion. If the offense had executed as it should have, we should have scored 30+ and won convincingly. The weather hurt us, but the playcalling and execution was mediocre. Generously.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We seem to really struggle from 10 yards out or less.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Last year there was stats showing he was very impressive in his ability to follow up turnovers with points. I haven't seen the most recent up to date stats, I don't know where to look for that stat, but I'd like to see how he's doing.

I believe that prior to the INT in the super bowl, he led scoring drives after every turnover last season.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Against Carolina, we'll have a hard time even getting to the red zone. And if we struggled to punch it in against GB's D, it's likely to be that much harder against the a legit front seven.

The level of difficulty will definitely be much higher... but a solid plan n attack that we had today, if we can bring that back next week, we'll be in the redzone... but its on the playselection from Roman...

I don't even think its a front 7, its the front 4 plus 1 from what I've seen... and that's scary lol

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Holy cow, crimson, he just won the game for you. Did anyone make more big plays? Criticize if you want and some can be warranted but he just beat a great qb for the 3rd time under tough conditions. He's a gamer at playoff time, is he not? That last drive was pretty epic: not beautiful in every way, but big play when needed that resulted in a win.

I don't mean to say that he didn't have a good game on the whole. But if we're looking at extending him, for instance, I don't see this game as a strong argument for him to get a huge payday. That goes more toward what I want in a QB, though. He's incredibly athletic, and he is a gamer. No doubt. But he's still got serious limitations as a passer and game manager.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That block by Gore is just another reason why it will be painful to say goodye to him when his career is over

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Incidentally, I would have liked to have run some read option late in the game. Especially after the injuries to LBs, I think we could have caught them off guard with that in the second half.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners won despite the two holding calls on the first two possessions and despite throwing two near interceptions, the Packers couldn't execute the picks. That win therefore seems to be more than a FG win. Niners also won despite Rodgers great plays (and offensive line holding). The score satisfied those not wanting a Niners blowout and satisfied Niners in the process. All the legitimate whatifs seem to be on SF's side and Niners won. That should shut trolls up (though I haven't had much time to check the board if there were any/a lot).