• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My offseason Plan

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year is a real disappointment but taking a look back now that they are out of the playoffs it really comes down to a few things. Not addressing the secondary enough last year, injuries along the offensive line, linebacker and QB position and subsequent poor play calling after said injuries due to lack of depth. So lets take a look on how this team can take two steps forward next year.

Eagles free agents
This really come down to Maclin. I think Maclin gets resigned pretty soon after the season ends. If not there is a good chance they franchise him. After that I would like to resign Brandon Graham but not go hog wild in spending cash on him

Cuts
Based on how much money the Eagles are going to carry forward they really don't need to cut anyone in order to spend in free agency. However I would think that Trent Cole, Cary Williams, Todd Heremens and Demeco Ryans are all in danger of being cut. For the purpose of this, I am cutting Heremens, Williams and Ryans and saving the 18 million (after dead money) to spend elsewhere. For Heremens he really just didn't play well before he was hurt for Ryans he most likely never comes back at the level he was playing before the injury. Williams simply is not worth 8.1 million for his play. I doubt he would redo his contact because he needs money for sconces. I would attempt to redo Coles contract.

Free Agent Signings.
Very tough to do this at this time of the year because a good amount of these guys will get resigned but the general sense on how I would go about free agency. The names may change but the positions and talent level of these players are what I am after.

1. Chris Culliver CB San Fran - Not the top corner on the market but an upgrade to either one of the corners we have. San Fran will be in some turmoil this offseason due to the Harbargh situation so I think there is a good chance Culliver makes it to the market.

2. Patrick Robinson CB New Orleans - Not quite as good as Culliver but he can play.

3. Rahim Moore S Denver - We have to upgrade the safety position. Nate Allen biting on that play fake with less than two minutes to play in Arizona is still sticking in my crawl. If he just keeps that play in front of him we are probably talking about the playoffs right now. Moore is still young and I like the way he plays.

4. Brandon Spikes ILB Buffalo - A good run stuffing linebacker to team with Kendricks in the middle. .

5. Stefen Wiesnewski OG/C Oakland - Wanted him in the draft instead of Watkins, Can play either guard or center position, border line pro bowl player. Athletic guard who can also play center, Plug him in at right guard and improve the line in front of Foles.

The Draft
Real early as far as where these guys are going etc. Think more as positional in each round than the player.

#20 - Trae Waynes- CB- Michigan St - He should step right in and start at one of the corners, even with the additions in free agency we have to address the position in the draft and it has to be addressed high. The last time we took a corner in round one was Lito Sheppard a decade ago.

#52 - Arie Kouandjio- G- Alabama - Alabama always seems to put good offensive lineman in the draft. Kouandjio provides depth and eventually takes over for Mathis at LG.

#84 - Bryce Petty- QB- Baylor- Beyond Mariota and Winston the QB crop is pretty weak. Petty has a strong arm and protypical size for position. He is used to running out of the shotgun formation but does have issues reading defenses. Kelly will need to groom and develop Petty, he can carry the clipboard next year and maybe compete for the job in 2016.

#117 - Markus Golden- LB- Missouri - Need to continue to add youth and depth to the position

The last picks are should truly be best available player.

Coaching
I don't think that any of the coaches should be let go. I think they all including Saint Kelly needs to take a hard look at what they are doing. Some situational players might be best like a fullback for short yardage situations (use Burton or Casey). At times during the game slow it down some then speed it up. Vary a little more to give the defense some rest here and there. Finally the staff needs to take a hard look at how quickly they are making adjustments. Seems like they were slow on the change this year.

Overall
I really don't think this team is far away. Yes some of the changes I made seem major but the few weaknesses we have are major like the secondary. Foles is our Starting QB next year with Petty and Barkley in the hole. There simply are no other options. Mariota and Wintson are top 5 picks and it would cost way too much to get up there. Oh there is no guarantee any of them will be stars. Fix the offensive line by getting the likes of Peters, Mathis and Kelce healthy, upgrade the RG spot with Wisnewski, tell Shady this if football not dancing with the stars and improve some of the situational play calling and Foles will be more than adequate. Defensively they are close with budding stars Kendricks, Cox and savy veterans like Barwin and Kendricks. Adding in talent like Waynes, Culliver and Moore takes this defense to the next level.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching a good deal of film on the CB's recently I think Waynes is the only Corner I would consider in Rd 1. Talent wise Marcus Peters would also be worth the spot, but he has attitude issues and will likely fall to Rd 2 or worse if he can't clean up his stock in the interviews. PJ Williams imo is not a great fit for man coverage ... to me he's a much better fit in a zone type scheme as opposed to what we run. Not saying he's a bad Corner (actually better than Waynes against the run and near the LOS), but he can't keep up with receivers in man situations like Waynes can. There's a few other 2nd and 3rd round guys I like as well ... but if you're drafting a guy to step in day one and take over for Fletcher, Waynes should be the pick.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching a good deal of film on the CB's recently I think Waynes is the only Corner I would consider in Rd 1. Talent wise Marcus Peters would also be worth the spot, but he has attitude issues and will likely fall to Rd 2 or worse if he can't clean up his stock in the interviews. PJ Williams imo is not a great fit for man coverage ... to me he's a much better fit in a zone type scheme as opposed to what we run. Not saying he's a bad Corner (actually better than Waynes against the run and near the LOS), but he can't keep up with receivers in man situations like Waynes can. There's a few other 2nd and 3rd round guys I like as well ... but if you're drafting a guy to step in day one and take over for Fletcher, Waynes should be the pick.

:agree:

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice plan I like it a lot. I'm not signing both corners and drafting one in the first but I wouldn't care if they did.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good effort Taz, but I also want another starting WR to go along with Mac and Jordan. Find a way to trade Coop for a 7th round pick, because if you cut him, it is too huge a cap hit, I think. I would like to draft the BPA in the first round at either: CB; S; WR; ILB; OL. After that, draft fior needs without reaching. Draft a QB like Hundley or Bennett as the QB in waiting. Foles will be our QB for the next 2 years, barring injury. Evaluate Barkley to find out if he can be at least a competent backup, if not then re-sign Sanchez to a reasonable contract. Here are the players that I would love to get in the first 2 rounds, and be ecstatic if we get any 2 of these:
Landon Collins, S (may need to trade up).
Trae Wayns, CB
Shaq Thompson, ILB
Gerald Holliman, S
DeVante Parker, WR
Sammie coates, WR
Andrus Peat, T
Bernardrick McKinney, ILB
Brandon Scherff, T (trade up).
Alex Carter, CB

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see Trae Waynes making it to us. He is shooting up boards fast, and the Saints will take him long before we get a shot. Marcus Peters is the best CB in this draft....However, the dude got kicked off his college team...some say he may have choked a coach. But he is a ballhawk, he is physical, he is long, he is fast as hell....He would probably be a top 10 pick had he not gotten in trouble...so I guess it boils down to would Chip select him anyway? I think Chip has seen him more than anyone already, so he knows what he is all about as a player.

Taz I like your free agency plan, I'd be shocked though if most of those guys were available. If they are, then i like it a whole lot.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip not only knows Peters, but watches a lot of college games when he can. He is a football junkie, with no other hobbies or interests, like us, only with top resources. If he thinks he will not be a problem, then he will draft him. As far as Wayns - yes, we would have to move up to get him. Unless we get some compensitory picks, we have no other picks but the normal 7 picks, I believe, and that may prohibit trading up, unless we include a good player to do so. (Shady?).

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus won't choke a coach in the pros. He'll have a guy two to three times his size whipping his ass if he tried it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like some of the individual free agents you suggested. But I think you identified the right areas of the team to upgrade, and the likely approach the team will take.

The Eagles will use free agency to find some stopgap starters, and maybe one legitimate upgrade starter, and then try to find better additional long-term starters in the draft.

That seems to be their approach--find a few mid-priced guys who can start in free agency, in case we really need them to, but look for talent to develop in the draft.

I am not crazy about Bryce Petty and do NOT think he has a strong arm by NFL standards at all. But I like the Michigan State defensive backs and would be happy with Wayns.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like some of the individual free agents you suggested. But I think you identified the right areas of the team to upgrade, and the likely approach the team will take.

The Eagles will use free agency to find some stopgap starters, and maybe one legitimate upgrade starter, and then try to find better additional long-term starters in the draft.

That seems to be their approach--find a few mid-priced guys who can start in free agency, in case we really need them to, but look for talent to develop in the draft.

I am not crazy about Bryce Petty and do NOT think he has a strong arm by NFL standards at all. But I like the Michigan State defensive backs and would be happy with Wayns.
Not gonna happen bro.....our best shot is Marcus Peters....no way does Waynes get past the Saints. Unless....we trade up.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides QB, the whole offseason has to be focused on that secondary...Fletcher, Williams & Allen would all be gone if I was running things....

Id go after CB Byron Maxwell. Ive read that this CB class isnt very good and Peters is by far the best CB but has character issues. NOT GOOD. So we better sign Maxwell. He starts at RCB.

At Safety...Id look at Wolff + Ekpre-Olomu (3rd rd).

At the other CB spot..Id go with J.Watkins/Carroll/Jalen Collins (Rd. 2). Collins could be a sleeper.

LCB - Carroll / J.Watkins / Jalen Collins
S - Malcom Jenkins
S - Wolff / Ekpre-Olomu
RCB - Maxwell
NCB - Boykin

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Offensive line...Id give MAthis a slight raise & then go & sign Iupati. Dominant run blocker needed at that RG pos. The 49ers are scrwed when it comes to the cap. Herremans is gone.

Id also look for Bowman or Willis to get cut. If so...I pounce! Demeco is probably toast anyway.

Re-do Coles contract...keeping pos. warm until Marcus Smith is ready.

I definitely am trying to move up for Mariota in the draft. Id be dangling QB Foles, DE Curry & even NCB Boykin.

Last edited by a moderator:

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get Ekpre-Olomu, he will play CB, not Safety. He's not big enough for safety.

Teams like the Raiders and Browns, and others, have a ton of cap space, so we're not going to get a lot of free agents.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB - DRAFT 1-Marcus Mariota - 5,200,000
RB - LeSean McCoy - 11,950,000
RB - Darren Sproles - 4,000,000
WR
- FA--Jeremy Maclin - 6,500,000
WR - Jordan Matthews - 1,124,834
WR - Riley Cooper - 4,800,000
WR - Josh Huff - 663,986
TE - Zach Ertz - 1,467,054
TE - Brent Celek - 4,800,000
LT - Jason Peters - 8,550,000
LG
- EXT--Evan Mathis - 6,500,000
C - Jason Kelce - 4,200,000
RG
- FA-Mike Iupati - 6,400,000
RT - Lane Johnson - 5,414,483
QB
- FA--Mark Sanchez - 3,000,000
QB - Matt Barkley - 736,757
RB
- RFA--Chris Polk - 634,257
WR
- RFA--Jeff Maehl - 650,000
WR
- DRAFT-5 (speed) - 400,000
TE - Trey Burton - 510,000
OT/G - Allen Barbre - 1,450,000
OT/G - Andrew Gardner - 750000
C - Julian Vandervelde - 660,000
OG
- DRAFT-4 - 500,000

DE - EXT--Fletcher Cox - 7,000,000
NT - Bennie Logan - 818,523
DE
- FA--Cedric Thornton - 3,500,000
OLB - Connor Barwin - 6,100,000
ILB
- EXT--Mychal Kendricks - 4,414,141
ILB
- DRAFT-4 - 500,000
OLB
- REDU--Trent Cole - 6,000,000
OLB - Marcus Smith - 1,772,523
LCB - Nolan Carroll - 2,900,000
RCB
- FA--Byron Maxwell - 4,400,000
NCB - Jaylen Watkins - 634,257
LCB - DRAFT 2-Jalen Collins - 1,000,000
S - Malcolm Jenkins - 5,666,666
S - Earl Wolff - 638,000
NS
- DRAFT 3-Ekpre-Olomu - 600,000
DE - Taylor Hart - 563,878
DE - Brandon Bair - 585,000
NT - Beau Allen - 525,562
OLB - Bryan Braman - 1,600,000
ILB
- FA--Casey Matthews - 1,300,000
ILB - Najee Goode - 660,000
ILB - Travis Long - 510,000
S - Chris Maragos - 1,400,000
S - Chris Prosinski - 745,000

K - Cody Parkey - 510,000
P - Donnie Jones - 2,083,333
LS - Jon Dorenbos - 1,070,000

13m to spare to go after Bowman or Willis should either be cut this offseason by 49ers.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get Ekpre-Olomu, he will play CB, not Safety. He's not big enough for safety.

Teams like the Raiders and Browns, and others, have a ton of cap space, so we're not going to get a lot of free agents.

You might be right. I was toying with either NCB or Safety. If he can gain some weight, he might be able to play Safety. There are some Safeties out there in the 5'9 200 range. That are damn good.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, most mocks I have seen do have Waynes making it to us. But I too think he won't make it that far. Then again, Darqueze Dennard was there for us last draft. That seemed unthinkable about this time a year ago.

A guy to keep an eye on for us in the 2nd/3rd round area is OT Jake Fisher of Oregon. We all know how Chip likes his Oregon boys, and Fisher has the V word, versatility, having started at guard and both tackle spots. He could probably come in as a rookie and play RG, and eventually maybe slide out to tackle.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can come out of this off season with Maxwell & Ekpre-Olomu, Id be pretty damn ecstatic.

Ekpre, I believe could play all over..at LCB, NCB & Safety. A sure tackler w/ great awareness & ball skills. Shame he tore his knee but if we can get him in rd. 2 or 3, we'll be getting a real steal. Since he is shorter than ideal, Id see if he can play Safety more often than not but also mix him in at NCB (instead of Jenkins in base) & also at outside CB vs the smaller speedy WRs like Beckham & Jackson.

Chip loves versatile players & Ekpre could be his do it all in the secondary. Leaving Jenkins to cover the TEs & play more of the SS role he is more built for.

Maxwell can also play the slot, as well as Jalen Watkins, which could leave Boykin expendable since he is coming up on a new contract & probably wants to play outside. Gives us another possible trade chip in a quest for Mariota.

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking closer at the contracts of Bowman & Willis, it will be Willis that is cut/traded...not Bowman.

Id sign Willis in a heartbeat. Id even trade a late pick for him if need be.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your plan Taz. I agree with Wings that Wayne may not make it to us but the plan is aggressive in dealing with the issues on the team.

Defense needs to be top priority and should be the complete focus in the draft and the secondary. If they do tweak offense the focus needs to be Oline and Receiver. This draft is weak at QB and based on where we are picking I doubt the Eagles seriously put any on their draft board because the Eagles do not need to address it this year.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After looking closer at the contracts of Bowman & Willis, it will be Willis that is cut/traded...not Bowman.

Id sign Willis in a heartbeat. Id even trade a late pick for him if need be.

San Fran is definitely a team to look at player wise. With a new coach almost a certainty there I can see us picking off a few defensive players from there. Especially since Donahue was there and probably drafted some of these guys.