• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

my issues with the Lions moves.................

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see one of the greats get a ring. I feel it gets blown up this year, so get as many picks for the new guy to build with. See quick turnarounds lately in the NFL. Don't see CJ getting that opportunity in Detroit any time soon.

So screwed up knowing any other franchise it would be a clean sweep of the front office. With the Lions you have no clue what will happen?

I could not care less if Calvin gets a ring unless he either stays or goes to the Patriots. Although the Pats dont overpay (great teams dont do that even for superstars) so I doubt he lands there unless he is willing to take a pay cut.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was screaming to build around Suh two years ago.

1) Build an elite defense around Suh with draft picks and free agency.

2) Pay a solid if unspectacular QB who doesn't turn the ball over to run a dink and dunk, west coast offense.

Worked well last year with an 11-5 season. Just had way to much money tied up into the turnover machine, Stafford.

Honestly though, I don't blame Mayhew for tying up Stafford. It was his first ever draft pick and the guy he will live and die with.

The end is Nigh for Mayhew.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firing (or forcing Caldwell to fire) Lombardi an hour after Caldwell stated that nobody was getting fired completely put him on blast. Everyone knows he's a dead man walking now, but the problem is they just don't have any reason to replace him mid season. The only way to get rid of him, was if you're interested in seeing what Austin could do as a head coach. Which apparently they're not.

The thing is, GM's don't do a whole lot during the season. You could get by without a GM for a while, and people would be willing to interview for a GM spot during the season without it being a distraction.

So their moves tell me Mayhew is staying. And there is a good chance Austin isn't, or at least isn't integral to the plans. Although it is possible that they force Austin as DC on the new HC. However you have to think that limits who they can hire as a HC, possibly who even is willing to interview.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say they have a turn around and win 5 or 6 games on the year.

Impossible. This team simply does not have the talent from top to bottom to win 5 or 6 more games. Years of busted Mayhew drafts plus losing Suh has caught up to him. Don't sweat it.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not care less if Calvin gets a ring unless he either stays or goes to the Patriots. Although the Pats dont overpay (great teams dont do that even for superstars) so I doubt he lands there unless he is willing to take a pay cut.

Reevis was surely not under paid last year. Smart teams know when to spend big money IMO.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible. This team simply does not have the talent from top to bottom to win 5 or 6 more games. Years of busted Mayhew drafts plus losing Suh has caught up to him. Don't sweat it.

People don't understand that Mayhew lost not 1 but 2, top 13 picks in Suh and Fairley. Then Pettidrops developing into nothing more than a blocking tight end, along with countless 2nd round busts like Titus, Broyles, Leshoure, Van Noy and now what looks to be Slay as well. This team is devoid of talent.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Old Lion understood what restructuring meant. Restructuring isn't going to cost Suh any money. Miami will be doing exactly what the Lions front office did and kick the can down the road. The issue with the Miami is -- they already have a boat load of dead money on the books in 2015 and they are going to have to make more cuts in 2016 if they don't figure out a way to restructure Suh's cap hit.

Basically -- what Miami going to see has been played out already here in Detroit. The end result isn't any good long term, because at some point you have to eat the money you've pushed back.

Here are the top 5 teams in dead money coming into the season -- see if you see a trend. New Orleans, Miami, Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Kansas City. They have a combined record of 11-22.

What is sad -- the two best teams in dead money is Denver and Green Bay. You learn how to manage your cap, you learn how to sustain success.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Old Lion understood what restructuring meant. Restructuring isn't going to cost Suh any money. Miami will be doing exactly what the Lions front office did and kick the can down the road. The issue with the Miami is -- they already have a boat load of dead money on the books in 2015 and they are going to have to make more cuts in 2016 if they don't figure out a way to restructure Suh's cap hit.

Basically -- what Miami going to see has been played out already here in Detroit. The end result isn't any good long term, because at some point you have to eat the money you've pushed back.

Here are the top 5 teams in dead money coming into the season -- see if you see a trend. New Orleans, Miami, Tampa Bay, Baltimore and Kansas City. They have a combined record of 11-22.

What is sad -- the two best teams in dead money is Denver and Green Bay. You learn how to manage your cap, you learn how to sustain success.

Agreed, but I was looking at it from Suh's perspective. What is his motivation to take the same amount of money but wait longer for it. He can just do another mega deal with another team after 3 years. He will still be early 30s and it will be his last chance at another big contract.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reevis was surely not under paid last year. Smart teams know when to spend big money

Absolutely agree. Though 12 million for Revis is a bargain, especially when they added a 2nd year to the deal as a team option for 20 million. His cap hit was only 7 million last year, as the team knew they wouldn't bring him back with a 25 million cap hit.

Also -- NE is one of a select few teams who can say at any time they are one player away and can make deals like that. They won the super bowl, gave him an offer they felt was fair after the season and now he plays for the Jets.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but I was looking at it from Suh's perspective. What is his motivation to take the same amount of money but wait longer for it. He can just do another mega deal with another team after 3 years. He will still be early 30s and it will be his last chance at another big contract.

When you restructure -- I don't think it has to do with waiting for the money. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what the team will do is -- change his base salary which is like 25 million for next season and turn it into a league minimum, paying him the rest as a "signing bonus". So he would have a base salary of like 825,000 and get 24 million upfront from the team. They can take the 24 million and spread it out over the rest of the contract.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that is kind of how it works. I believe what you are thinking about is deferred payments, where they spread a contract out and offer to make smaller payments years after the contract is done. Something the Mets did back in the day. Actually I think Max Scherzer has deferred payments on his new contract too

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you restructure -- I don't think it has to do with waiting for the money. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what the team will do is -- change his base salary which is like 25 million for next season and turn it into a league minimum, paying him the rest as a "signing bonus". So he would have a base salary of like 825,000 and get 24 million upfront from the team. They can take the 24 million and spread it out over the rest of the contract.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that is kind of how it works. I believe what you are thinking about is deferred payments, where they spread a contract out and offer to make smaller payments years after the contract is done. Something the Mets did back in the day. Actually I think Max Scherzer has deferred payments on his new contract too

I see. I think you have it right. The league should really put an end to that sort of thing IMO. Need to be more structured. At least they did a good change with the rookie deals.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want this team to be picking top 5. But then again, I'm sure I will enjoy arguing about who they should draft. Lol

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and the Lions are supposed to have around 35 million next year if they release a few guys and keep CJ. Without CJ, it ballons to about 50.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This post is earmarked for removal.

There will be no rooting for other teams here. None!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Half of Crazy Eyes contract is deferred, I believe. (7year deal, 14 years of salary.)

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They convert salary into signing bonus money and spread it over the length of the contract. Keeps pushing money backwards and then comes due. Bonus money is the 24 million you're using in your example.

The Pat's are being charged 5 million against the cap from Revis, he got a ten million bonus plus his salary last year. Wasn't a restructure, but it shows how paying up front will cost you later. They just don't have Lewand writing said contracts. Costing Detroit 9.5 for Suh while being 1-6 and Pat's paying 5 for Revis after hoisting the Lombardi, and still sitting undefeated this season. Reggie was not a last puzzle piece like Revis seems to have been.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get over ten million a year when he is sitting at home til like 2028
Long run its great deal for him.

But even though it's an expensive as hell deal, I think it was smart by Washington. Seems like it was the only way they could reel him in.