• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My buddy just bet me 500 bucks

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree they have had some major problems in the past. That was a lot of the old regime's draft picks though. This new regime seems to have a very clear direction they are going. They have worked to rebuild the OL (Luke Joeckel and Zane Beadles) while also giving the new QB of the future some possible weapons. Will they all develop...we obviously do not know. But like I said they seem to have a vision of where this team is going. They know this year is not the year so they haven't went and sold out to win year 1 or 2 but looking to that year 3 and 4 to be a team that is not only competitive but hopefully has some young talent.

Again obviously none of that is guaranteed but just impressed with what they have done in a short time to get this team heading in a better direction. I also am one that has a lot of confidence in Gus Bradley as a head coach. Just one of those guys that I have a feeling will be a head coach for a long time in this league.

Obviously you can build a winning team in the NFL, and I agree they seem to be on the right track if some key players can carry their own weight. The tough part about a 3 to 4 yr window, is that's about all the time you have with a draft class at a good pay rate...if you haven't really turned the corner, it's tough to justify re-upping (overpaying) your good, but not great players. Other teams tend to pluck them.

Sometimes you do need to make that bold move to really jump start it...I would reach for a #1 WR to help Bortles unless a can't miss guy comes from the draft...but even can't miss WRs take a yr or so to really grasp the NFL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say there is not much to reach for at least right now. Usually FA the top receivers never hit the market. DeSean Jackson was the best to hit the market this past summer and he came with lots of question marks and being more of a one-trick pony than an all-around #1 receiver for a team. So you just about have to find them in the draft these days. My guess is 6 wins for Jacksonville sounds about right. They will be more competitive this year but still don't have the firepower to win anymore than that. That should mean a top-10 pick and the possibility of a top-WR or if nothing else a top player at another position of need.

More than anything else it comes down to Bortles for Jacksonville. The teams that turn it around in a hurry are usually the ones who find a quarterback to solidify the position. Look at Indy going worst to playoffs with Luck or the Chiefs this past year going worst to playoffs with getting Smith. If Bortles turns into a great quarterback then they should be competitive quickly. If they can't solve that position then they will remain about where they are. Very few teams in history have been able to overcome even just an average quarterback on the team.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I love it when people make homer bets. They are rarely based on logic.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say there is not much to reach for at least right now. Usually FA the top receivers never hit the market. DeSean Jackson was the best to hit the market this past summer and he came with lots of question marks and being more of a one-trick pony than an all-around #1 receiver for a team. So you just about have to find them in the draft these days. My guess is 6 wins for Jacksonville sounds about right. They will be more competitive this year but still don't have the firepower to win anymore than that. That should mean a top-10 pick and the possibility of a top-WR or if nothing else a top player at another position of need.

More than anything else it comes down to Bortles for Jacksonville. The teams that turn it around in a hurry are usually the ones who find a quarterback to solidify the position. Look at Indy going worst to playoffs with Luck or the Chiefs this past year going worst to playoffs with getting Smith. If Bortles turns into a great quarterback then they should be competitive quickly. If they can't solve that position then they will remain about where they are. Very few teams in history have been able to overcome even just an average quarterback on the team.

FA...definitely not this year...but Vincent Jackson was a good grab...gotta get lucky either way...draft or FA.

QB...that goes without saying, we'll have to see how he develops, but I don't get the sense he's going to light it up with the cast they have right now. Solid DEF, mistake free OFC is probably the formula in JAC this yr.