• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

my assessment of the defense

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is my take of our defense and why it needs an upgrade

1) The virtue of the 3-4 is its ability to challenge offenses to know where pressure is coming from and who is dropping into coverage and who is not . You have 5 rushers on the field and they should apply pressure and force TO's

2) The 1st issue we have is Haslett doesnt take advantage of moving those guys around . All to often opposing OC's KNOW that Rak is coming over LT and Kerrigan is coming over RT . OC's simply manipulate the predictable fronts . Hence you have Rak and Kerrigan Focussing on contain or having them schemed into covering the Shady Mccoy's of the world . Some are disappointed in Rak's production( and they should be in Kerrigans) but they arent being used as they should either in this 3-4 scheme .

3) To play the conservative 3-4 that haslett is using means you have to have guys who can win match-ups physically which we simply do not have . WE dont have dominate 2 gap De's like the 49ers and chiefs have .

4) We need more creative fronts and hybrid players to run them . We have some pieces and potential pieces But right now we dont have them .

5) A case can be made for overhauling the entire secondary , but the safety position is every bit as important as the front 7 . I want tall , fast physical CBs and safeties . The TE is becoming taller and faster and we need to adjust . Taller guys at DB like seatle has is the way we need to go . Hall's and Wilson's are to small and to weak to match up with tall guys like Johnson , Marshall ETC . In Halls case age and speed will be an issue soon . As for safeties you need 2 guys with range and tackling ability that can play the ball when needs be

6) We need strong 2 Gap d/lineman who are nimble enough to apply pressure . WE have one in Cofield .

7) We need more pressure schemes and we need to get away from read and react schemes that hamper Rak and Kerrigan in getting to the passer

8) Haslett is too predictable whether when blitzing or calling a passive game . Shanahan has stubbornly supported a failing DC and his job could come down to that fateful decision .

9) Granted , few DC's could succeed when the talent is so threadbare . Getting better talent is a must . Simply "going back to the 4-3 " isnt needed nor would it help .

10 ) This why I feel we should live with the current o/line for a season and focus on the greater need on defense. Sure if a good young Interior guy is available (Mack , Beadles ETC ) then dont turn it down . In 2015 then i look to address the o/line with higher picks

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing I agree with in this...we need bigger, stronger, and faster across the defense. Bigger, stronger, and faster make up for a lot of shortcomings.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing I agree with in this...we need bigger, stronger, and faster across the defense. Bigger, stronger, and faster make up for a lot of shortcomings.

i talked about scheme too but we need players

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a game where our defensive players are consistently put in position to play to their strengths. Even if we lose the game. If its pass rushing, then play them that way, etc.

Going forward, I'd like to see us mix it up with different combinations of people, so we can see other players strengths and weaknesses until we find a way to best use the players we have.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a game where our defensive players are consistently put in position to play to their strengths. Even if we lose the game. If its pass rushing, then play them that way, etc.

Going forward, I'd like to see us mix it up with different combinations of people, so we can see other players strengths and weaknesses until we find a way to best use the players we have.

that is on haslett . we can do that but he has to call it

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is on haslett . we can do that but he has to call it

Indeed it is. Based on what we've seen, I'm not holding out much hope of it. Even tho' I really believe that is the strategy we should follow for accurate assessment of talent. Sigh.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed it is. Based on what we've seen, I'm not holding out much hope of it. Even tho' I really believe that is the strategy we should follow for accurate assessment of talent. Sigh.

well i believe i have a decent view as a fan on what we need on defense . somehow jenkins needs to get some play so we can see if he has "hybrid " potential . jackson could have it if he is used right as could tapp

the secondary needs Chase to be brought up to see if he can be the CB I am looking for

we dont have a d/lineman on the roster that fits the bill and barnett needs more snaps to see if he can stop gap for LBF