• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My argument as to why they shouldn't reseed the playoffs

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No strength of schedule or non of that other BS. You don't have to change anything else. Just simply give the teams with the better records a higher seed. I'm not proposing any other changes. The Divisions still mean the exact same thing.

And your right. This is not a solution. It will create other scenarios. I just think it is more fair.

how does it make it more "fair" when you're always going to have weaker divisions and stronger ones and you play your divisional opponents 2X's a year and then other teams will be playing interdivisional games against stronger and weaker divisions than other teams. How does it make it more "fair"?

How long do you think the NFL keep it's current layout of divisions and conferences under those playoff rules?

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a simple seeding change. You are right. There will be situations as stated above and people will bitch about it when it happens. The same stuff still happens with the system the way it is. I just think a team with a better record is more deserving of a home playoff game than a team with a lesser record regardless of who won the division. It is no more complicated than that.

It is the same way the set the draft order. Should they change the draft order based on division standings, who beat who, etc.?

No the only bitching is by a minority who's team didn't get in or has to go on the road.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the same way the set the draft order. Should they change the draft order based on division standings, who beat who, etc.?

for the regular season participants, yes, for playoff teams no they don't. It's by how far you go in the post season and they do that again, so it fosters a more competitive league. Same reason they have the rules like they do now

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great point about the Chiefs btw.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC was a WC team despite winning 11 games this year. Lets take a look at those 11 wins

They beat:

Jax (4-12)
Dal (8-8)
Phi (10-6)
NYG (7-9)
Ten (7-9)
Oak (4-12)
Hou (2-14)
Cle (4-12)
Buf (6-10)
Was (3-13)
Oak (4-12)

Should this be a team that would get a home playoff game over a battle-hardened 8-8 division winner?

Yes. because they won more games in a parity driven league.

Did Green Bay play a tougher schedule than San Francisco? San Francisco had a significantly better record and beat them head to head, but lets reward Green Bay because they play in a crap division. It goes both ways. Again it is not a solution, I just feel it is more fair.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am of the opinion that the team with the better record should get home field. They could keep it with four division winners and two wild card teams, but personally I don't think it's fair that teams like the Eagles (or the Redskins last year, for example) get a home game just for being the best of the worst over a team that finished with a much better record, which may also include head-to-head games during the regular season.

I find that wild card teams in general are always much more deserving of a playoff spot than the lesser of the division winners. Based on this weekend's results, that stance is well justified.

I have to agree...remember a couple of years ago when the 7-9 Seahawks won their division? No way a 9-7 or 10-6 wildcard team should not have had home field advantage over a 7-9 division winner; especially when the NFC West was so down that year.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did Green Bay play a tougher schedule than San Francisco? San Francisco had a significantly better record and beat them head to head, but lets reward Green Bay because they play in a crap division. It goes both ways. Again it is not a solution, I just feel it is more fair.

But also remember that KC's schedule this year was based on last year's 2-14 record.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More fair this year regarding San Francisco and Green Bay, sure. More fair always, no. It's less fair. You'd too often be rewarding teams that played a weak schedule and didn't win their division over a team that did and played a tougher schedule.

Again, if you want to be absolutely, fair 100% of the time, eliminate the divisions and have every team play one game against every other team in their conference and then seed by record. Otherwise, the fairest you can be is to give a division winner a home playoff game and make the wild card teams go on the road.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree...remember a couple of years ago when the 7-9 Seahawks won their division? No way a 9-7 or 10-6 wildcard team should not have had home field advantage over a 7-9 division winner; especially when the NFC West was so down that year.

:agree:

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More fair this year regarding San Francisco and Green Bay, sure. More fair always, no. It's less fair. You'd too often be rewarding teams that played a weak schedule and didn't win their division over a team that did and played a tougher schedule.

Again, if you want to be absolutely, fair 100% of the time, eliminate the divisions and have every team play one game against every other team in their conference and then seed by record. Otherwise, the fairest you can be is to give a division winner a home playoff game and make the wild card teams go on the road.

Let's just agree to disagree. There is nothing wrong with the way the system is right now. However, if they decided to change it, I would be in favor.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just agree to disagree. There is nothing wrong with the way the system is right now. However, if they decided to change it, I would be in favor.

We can agree to disagree, as long as you'll stop calling it more fair to reward wild cards with home games.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about just get rid of divisions all together and just have the two conférences do round robins and meet in the SB?

Or we can just accept that football and life are not always perfect?

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every teams schedule is already predetermined with the exception of 2 games. So this is kind of irrelevant.

Yeah, except those two games for KC were the Browns and Bills, where Denver played the Ravens and Patriots. That's a major difference. Could easily be the difference between 11-5 and 9-7.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, except those two games for KC were the Browns and Bills, where Denver played the Ravens and Patriots. That's a major difference. Could easily be the difference between 11-5 and 9-7.

Well denver won their division so played 2 other division winners Not sure what else could be fairer:suds: