• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My argument as to why they shouldn't reseed the playoffs

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An last year the NFC North had two playoff teams and a 10 win team that didn't get in. 3-4 years ago the NFC West was garbage.

Exactly my point. There is no way the Seahawks deserved a home playoff game after going 7-9 while the Saints went 11-5. It makes no sense.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, they did, they won their division. Division games are important. Divisions play different conferences and when you do that, then you'll be bitching because you won a tough division with a tough conference schedule and had 10 wins and somebody got to play in a weak division and had weak interconference opponents and had 11 wins and didn't even win their division and you had to travel.

Divisions matter, win them and get a home playoff game. SImple

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because when you play in a bad division like the Packers / Eagles, you are being rewarded for playing a weaker schedule. If the Packers / Eagles are in the NFC West, they don't even make the playoffs. Just making the playoffs is their reward for winning the division.

Surely, the 49ers were good enough to win the Eagles or Packers division, but because they played in a tough division, they were punished.

If you win your division you are rewarded with a playoff birth. From there they should seed by record. It is the most fair way of doing it.

Here's the problem with seeding strictly based on records; you it's harder to directly compare teams records in different divisions because of the divergent schedules. Maybe the NFC West teams had such great records because they were beating up on a bad AFC South? Maybe if you put the 49ers in the NFC North, they don't finish with as many wins because they play a tougher schedule. You just don't know.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh whaaaaaaaaa. Win your division, get a home playoff game. Wasn't long ago YOUR division hosted a home game with a losing record. Remember that? and they earned it.

Reseeding according to record isn't fair either because divisions play different conference opponents too. The beginning of this year the north looked like one of the toughest divisions in the league, then injuries happened, the season played out and they didn't look like everyone thought they were. Big deal, The packers won their division and were rewarded with a home playoff game. Just like they should have been.

Start to make divisions and the competition within the competition meaningless and the game will lose it's flavor in time.

How is it meaningless to win your division in my scenario? Winning the division ensures you a playoff birth. The only thing it doesn't ensure you is a home playoff game. If you want home field advantage, just win more games than the other teams in you conference.

BTW - If you think the NFL will lose anything because of reseeding by record, you are crazy.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem with seeding strictly based on records; you it's harder to directly compare teams records in different divisions because of the divergent schedules. Maybe the NFC West teams had such great records because they were beating up on a bad AFC South? Maybe if you put the 49ers in the NFC North, they don't finish with as many wins because they play a tougher schedule. You just don't know.

I agree. You don't know. And there is no perfect solution. IMO, seeding by record is not the perfect solution, but it is the most fair way.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think they created divisions in the first place? To create competition within the competition. Regionalism, rivalry, things that make people feel like they have a vested interest. Take that away, you take away from the game. Don't believe me, I don't care.

I think those in charge of the NFL are smart enough to know that divisions matter. Why do you think they started putting more division games at the end of the year? To increase the competition, make them more important, make people tune in.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they would lose money for the record. When there is a fairly decent chance that there will be a game week 17 making the difference between a home game and missing the playoffs , or between HFA throughout and the five seed, they get more ratings.

But if you want a home game, win your division. It's really that simple.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think they created divisions in the first place? To create competition within the competition. Regionalism, rivalry, things that make people feel like they have a vested interest. Take that away, you take away from the game. Don't believe me, I don't care.

I think those in charge of the NFL are smart enough to know that divisions matter. Why do you think they started putting more division games at the end of the year? To increase the competition, make them more important, make people tune in.

Again, you are failing to see my point. Winning the division ensures you a playoff birth. It takes nothing away form division competition.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This too. What if Team A has 11 wins and gets a WC berth but plays 2 weaker divisions plus their low ranked division and Team B wins their division with 9 wins and played the top two rated divisions outside of theirs. What then? Every year some team and fanbase is going to feel slighted no matter what the scenario is. Bottom line, as its been said 100 times before, take care of your business and don't rely on anything else to determine your playoff positioning or fate.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. You don't know. And there is no perfect solution. IMO, seeding by record is not the perfect solution, but it is the most fair way.

No the most fair way is to reward the teams that win their division with a home game. That's a teams goal at the beginning of the season. You don't hear anyone say, gee whiz I hope we get a wild card this year! Nope, it's, we are going out to win the division. The fact that any team gets in without winning their division is a huge privilege, and they should have as tough a path as possible. You don't reward a non division winner with a home game, I don't care what their record is.

You want a home playoff game? Win your division. If you can't accomplish that, you deserve to play on the road.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they would lose money for the record. When there is a fairly decent chance that there will be a game week 17 making the difference between a home game and missing the playoffs , or between HFA throughout and the five seed, they get more ratings.

But if you want a home game, win your division. It's really that simple.

And those scenarios will still be there in addition to other seeding scenarios.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you are failing to see my point. Winning the division ensures you a playoff birth. It takes nothing away form division competition.

No, I see your point. I don't agree with it. It will create more confusion, not less, it will decrease the value of divisional games, especially late in the season, it will decrease that spirit of competition later in the year. It won't do anything to increase the value of the game and those in charge know that.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the most fair way is to reward the teams that win their division with a home game. That's a teams goal at the beginning of the season. You don't hear anyone say, gee whiz I hope we get a wild card this year! Nope, it's, we are going out to win the division. The fact that any team gets in without winning their division is a huge privilege, and they should have as tough a path as possible. You don't reward a non division winner with a home game, I don't care what their record is.

You want a home playoff game? Win your division. If you can't accomplish that, you deserve to play on the road.

Every team plays to win every game. We will obviously agree to disagree on this subject. It is the way it is and I don't see it changing anyway.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would be no better than now if you start figuring strength of schedule/divisional records etc etc. You're not eliminating any problems, just opening up different cans of worms

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those scenarios will still be there in addition to other seeding scenarios.

Not as often. Your change would be much less meaning in many games down the stretch, and it's less fair. It is a stupid suggestion.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I see your point. I don't agree with it. It will create more confusion, not less, it will decrease the value of divisional games, especially late in the season, it will decrease that spirit of competition later in the year. It won't do anything to increase the value of the game and those in charge know that.

It is a matter of opinion. We don't agree and that's fine. But don't give me the "those in charge" argument. Those in charge get shit wrong every year in the NFL.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as often. Your change would be much less meaning in many games down the stretch, and it's less fair. It is a stupid suggestion.

Why even chime in. Nobody takes you serious on these boards. Your having an opinion only weakens your argument because it is you.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wont' get something this big wrong :) Basically what your'e advocating is decreasing competition and weakening the game. this year is a prime example. A team like GB, who is a good team, gets a few injuries and then a big one. They were still able to hit a rough patch in the season and still have something to play for that last 3rd of the season. Are you saying it would be better for the league to say to teams and divisions where "stuff" happens, to say tough, you're out of it by week 8 ??????

Do you think rendering half the league or more out of any playoff picture by the middle of the season because stuff happens, and be honest, stuff happens to every team every single year that threatens to derail a season, and thankfully there is enough competition within the league between divisions to keep things interesting and give them a chance to still play meaningful games, or this game would suffer.

yeah, that will be great for the league. Fucking awesome :)

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team plays to win every game. We will obviously agree to disagree on this subject. It is the way it is and I don't see it changing anyway.

Of course they do. And they do it with the goal of winning the division.

You can have your opinion on the subject, but I've yet to see a compelling argument for why a team that DIDN'T EVEN MANAGE TO WIN THEIR DIVISION should get a home playoff game. No, if you can't win your division you're lucky you even get another chance to make the playoffs, and you should have to go on the road.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I don't care who does or doesn't agree with me. It isn't my problem when others are wrong.

Second, considering an argument weaker because you disagree with the source on other things is a logical fallacy.