• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

M's Working On Ozuna Trade

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would definitely be a move to bring some more skill into the out field. I like it, though I'd like it more if he struck out less. if he could hit high .250s here, he'd be one of the better hitters in recent history.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would definitely be a move to bring some more skill into the out field. I like it, though I'd like it more if he struck out less. if he could hit high .250s here, he'd be one of the better hitters in recent history.

True. Good news is that our outfield bar is really low. We could actually have 3 real outfielders playing all at the same time. What are we going to do with all the minor league outfielders now that we can't turn them into light hitting, defensive challenged outfielders?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm this would be interesting. Wonder if it would take Paxton, I would be ok with that.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the weirdest boner right now

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmmm this would be interesting. Wonder if it would take Paxton, I would be ok with that.

I see Paxton as an overpay for some reason. Could be way off on this, but just see it as overpay. I keep thinking Elias for him.

Could we sneak Jose Fernandez in on the deal as well? Please, please, please.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12:10am: Frisaro tweets that while he hasn’t confirmed anything, he gets the sense that the Marlins covet Walker. However, he adds that the Marlins also aren’t going to give away Ozuna’s potential 30-homer bat in exchange for Elias, thus suggesting that if a trade is ultimately reached, it will be substantial in nature.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel a r*pe a comin

just a feeling

and i've been pleased with just about everything JeDi has done.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have big problems with starting pitching depth...and starting pitchers are quite literally the only thing of value we can peddle to other teams for what we need.

That's a dilemma that big market teams try to solve year in and year out by spending $180 million+ on payroll.

For our team, it will take a gifted GM several rounds of drafts and trades over the course of a couple more years to get what we need in order to really contend. It's why I like what Dipoto is doing so far with getting a lot of players with team control. More than anything, it sets him up better for the next round of trades coming up next year.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel a r*pe a comin

just a feeling

and i've been pleased with just about everything JeDi has done.

Take it easy. It's a little bit harder to slip a roofie in Dipoto's drink than it was to slip one in Zduriencik's.

That being said, if it is Walker for Ozuna, straight up, then you can forget any grace period. Dipoto will immediately go on my shit list.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Paxton as an overpay for some reason. Could be way off on this, but just see it as overpay. I keep thinking Elias for him.

Could we sneak Jose Fernandez in on the deal as well? Please, please, please.

Maybe I just dont see his value as very high. He's not young anymore (27 I think) and his secondary pitches havent quite developed yet. Wish he was traded in 2014 at the deadline and we could have gotten Price somehow. Not sure if that was on the table but it was thrown out there.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take it easy. It's a little bit harder to slip a roofie in Dipoto's drink than it was to slip one in Zduriencik's.

That being said, if it is Walker for Ozuna, straight up, then you can forget any grace period. Dipoto will immediately go on my shit list.

I dont think we need to worry about that. If they want to start talking Yelich instead maybe that changes. I worry trading away one or two starters in this deal though because this team still needs 1-2 starters as is.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12:10am: Frisaro tweets that while he hasn’t confirmed anything, he gets the sense that the Marlins covet Walker. However, he adds that the Marlins also aren’t going to give away Ozuna’s potential 30-homer bat in exchange for Elias, thus suggesting that if a trade is ultimately reached, it will be substantial in nature.

'Potential' being the key word here. Ozuna has one season, his second season, in which he hit 23 homeruns in 150 games and struck out 164 times. In his first and third seasons he had a combined 734 at bats and 13 homeruns. So maybe he has 30 homerun potential. There is also just as much of a chance that his second season was a fluke. People used to say that Dominic Brown had 30 homerun potential too. He hit 27 homeruns in 2013. But people don't talk much about him anymore.

Elias, in his own right, has accomplished just as much in his MLB career as Ozuna has. So if the Marlin GM thinks a Elias for Ozuna straight up trade is lopsided in our favor, then he probably does not have a realistic grasp on Ozuna's true market value. And on a side note: Elias' agent is not a difficult and interfering asshole like Ozuna's agent.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love it if we could pull the trigger on this deal. Like someone said, having a legit outfield at all three positions especially in safeco will save a few more runs

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a message on an article about Cano and it got me thinking. Marlins have a ton of payroll flexibility since they only have 2 guys making any kind of real money so why not make this big?;

Cano
Paxton
Elias
Montgomery
Trumbo
Peterson
Zunino
$$$ (Last 3 years of Cano's deal and $3M towards Trumbo's 2016)

For

Fernandez
Ozuna
Gordon

Looks like one of my fantasy baseball offers...lol.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I like about Marcell Ozuna is that he rates about average as a defensive centerfielder, which projects as significantly above average at a corner outfield spot. Putting Ozuna next to Martin would give a very solid defensive outfield. I've always loved the idea of having three guys who are capable of playing centerfield playing in Safeco.

I'm less high on his bat. Saying he has a potential 30 HR bat is extremely optimistic, borderline delusional IMO. I think he projects more like a 15-20 HR guy.

His first 275 ABs he only hit 3 HRs, then last year in 459 ABs only hit 10. That's 13 over roughly 700 ABs. I'm totally cherry picking my stats here, no doubt about it, but I have reasons to think a 30 HR potential is extremely excessive.

His 12.6% HR/FB rate in 2014 drastically contrasts with his 6.5% HR/FB rate in 2015, and a 2.9% rate in 2013.

I like the idea of trading for him because he offers a significant defensive improvement at RF, but I don't expect him to hit more than 15-20 HRs at his current triple slash line. I haven't watched a ton of him, but unless there is reason to think he's still ridiculously raw at the plate, I don't expect that he's going to improve much more from where he is at right now. That being said, don't overpay for his 2014, pay for what he was in 2015.