• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most Overrated/Underrated

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to Carlos Correa being on an all time two week bender of being a hit machine.

It’s naturally causing Twins fans online to reference a player article days before the hot streak that had him as one of the more overrated players in the game.

It was an irrelevant Poll as barely anyone partook in it(Correa got 4 total votes and was 3rd for reference).

But just curious who you all feel are the most overrated and underrated players. Give as many as you want for whatever reasons.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a tough one because I need some kind of a baseline on how players are rated by the media, fans, whatever. But I'll give it a shot. Maybe Kyle Tucker is underrated. Willy Adames is another player who might not be a household name but is pretty good. I think Garrett Crochet is probably underrated by the casual fan right now but he has been really good this season. Overrated maybe Vlad Jr? Those 48 bombs he hit when they were playing in minor league stadiums seem a little inflated now that they are back in Toronto. (Not that he isn't a good player, maybe just a little overrated)

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Gunnar Henderson. I'm sure he's well regarded but I'm not sure everyone realizes just how good he has been this year.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Correa, I wouldn't say he's been overrated throughout his career. It is traditionally rare to get a good shortstop that has the kind of offensive ability that he has shown. (Although we are living in an era where there are a crazy amount of talented offensive players at shortstop.)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a tough one because I need some kind of a baseline on how players are rated by the media, fans, whatever. But I'll give it a shot. Maybe Kyle Tucker is underrated. Willy Adames is another player who might not be a household name but is pretty good. I think Garrett Crochet is probably underrated by the casual fan right now but he has been really good this season. Overrated maybe Vlad Jr? Those 48 bombs he hit when they were playing in minor league stadiums seem a little inflated now that they are back in Toronto. (Not that he isn't a good player, maybe just a little overrated)

Yeah I left it open ended cause it is tough on how you comprehend.

For me I kinda go off the common fan(not diehards) and fan voting for things like All Stars. Then some media as well.

Really like your Tucker and Guerrero picks.

Tucker is getting fanvote respect as Astro having a good year. But he’s been an incredible player basically since he came up. And if you ask the common fan to name top outfielders in baseball no way they say his name.

Guerrero is over rated because basically no one has the balls to say he’s really just mid. Simply doesn’t have the power or fly ball ability. Gets the dad boost.

To me the most overrated player is Luis Arraez and it ain’t close. Im not being a biased Twins fan(he’s extremely likeable)

But he’s leading fan vote for the all star game. Everyone online fawns over him and not a single person says anything other than “he wins batting titles”

Well, that’s because he’s quite literally dog shit at everything else. I think he’d make most of the top 10 teams in baseball worse as a everyday player.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I left it open ended cause it is tough on how you comprehend.

For me I kinda go off the common fan(not diehards) and fan voting for things like All Stars. Then some media as well.

Really like your Tucker and Guerrero picks.

Tucker is getting fanvote respect as Astro having a good year. But he’s been an incredible player basically since he came up. And if you ask the common fan to name top outfielders in baseball no way they say his name.

Guerrero is over rated because basically no one has the balls to say he’s really just mid. Simply doesn’t have the power or fly ball ability. Gets the dad boost.

To me the most overrated player is Luis Arraez and it ain’t close. Im not being a biased Twins fan(he’s extremely likeable)

But he’s leading fan vote for the all star game. Everyone online fawns over him and not a single person says anything other than “he wins batting titles”

Well, that’s because he’s quite literally dog shit at everything else. I think he’d make most of the top 10 teams in baseball worse as a everyday player.
yeah I considered Arraez too. I didn't think about checking the leading vote getters for the all star team. That might be a good clue in who is over or underrated.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a lot of factors. Money and lack of production has to be part of the overrated baseline but then again if it was a bad contract from the start is that player really overrated. I think other than a couple players both ways the list will vary.

Perfect example: Javier Baez. The guy is getting paid outrageous money and I thought they overpaid him from day one. I can't label him as overrated bc I think he sucks.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Correa, I wouldn't say he's been overrated throughout his career. It is traditionally rare to get a good shortstop that has the kind of offensive ability that he has shown. (Although we are living in an era where there are a crazy amount of talented offensive players at shortstop.)
Yeah I think he has been overrated in Minny but like you said, shortstop is a tough position and not a ton of depth for those MI positions especially shortstop. When you find one it isn't crazy to see an overpay especially for a guy that was a nice piece to a couple titles in Houston.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overrated: Matt Chapman, Pete Alonso, Aaron Nola, Jazz Chisolm (guy is always injured too), Kris Bryant (not that he is the same guy since Chicago)

Underrated: Kyle Tucker, Jose Ramirez, Yandy Diaz, Ozzie Albies, Corey Seager (yes the 2x WS is underrated imo)

You guys mentioned Tucker and Vlad. Some good ones but I am not sure Vlad is near the top of overrated. He did have a ridiculous season just two years ago and last season he was injured. He isn't having a ridiculous year but still .272 15 homers and 69 rbi's. Pretty good.

Last edited:

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correa's abilities were kind of underappreciated as of 3+ years ago from where I sit, due to him having only played more than 110 games once in his first 6 seasons coupled with the cynicism fans felt in the aftermath of the Astros scandal. Then he puts together 2 good seasons and some people completely forget about the injuries and inconsistencies. But the rigamarole that was his free agency should keep the expectations of most reasonably tempered.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overrated: Matt Chapman, Pete Alonso, Aaron Nola, Jazz Chisolm (guy is always injured too), Kris Bryant (not that he is the same guy since Chicago)

Underrated: Kyle Tucker, Jose Ramirez, Yandy Diaz, Ozzie Albies, Corey Seager (yes the 2x WS is underrated imo)

You guys mentioned Tucker and Vlad. Some good ones but I am not sure Vlad is near the top of overrated. He did have a ridiculous season just two years ago and last season he was injured. He isn't have a ridiculous year but still .272 15 homers and 69 rbi's. Pretty good.

Alonso is one I instantly had in mind that I planned to mention at some point.

Really like the Albies and Seager picks. Diaz kinda depends, down this year but been been very under the radar for years as a pure bat.

Bryant imo just goes in the flat out washed up sucks category.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alonso is one I instantly had in mind that I planned to mention at some point.

Really like the Albies and Seager picks. Diaz kinda depends, down this year but been been very under the radar for years as a pure bat.

Bryant imo just goes in the flat out washed up sucks category.
Yeah Bryant is a stretch. He just isn't good anymore, plain and simple. Faded quick once he left Chicago

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You guys mentioned Tucker and Vlad. Some good ones but I am not sure Vlad is near the top of overrated. He did have a ridiculous season just two years ago and last season he was injured. He isn't have a ridiculous year but still .272 15 homers and 69 rbi's. Pretty good.
Philadelphia did not overpay to keep Nola. It seems like at least half of their fans are less than thrilled with him overall. In what sense do you see him as overrated?

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a pitcher who doesn't get hurt and who is probably not quite a HoF caliber talent, I feel that Nola is as good as you can realistically hope for nowadays.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Bryant is a stretch. He just isn't good anymore, plain and simple. Faded quick once he left Chicago
the Bryant decline is so bizarre

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo, he's a poor man's Hamels. Not HOF, but HOVG
I don't know if I'd even go poor man's. I think when all is said and done he'll be comparable to Hamels. Probably just short of the Hall of Fame, but a very good pitcher.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I'd even go poor man's. I think when all is said and done he'll be comparable to Hamels. Probably just short of the Hall of Fame, but a very good pitcher.

I think Hamels is a lot closer than people give him credit for being. 58 WAR, 123 ERA+, 1.18 WHIP, 2560/767 K/BB, 35.9 wins above average. I don't think he's quite a HOFer, but I do think modern starting pitchers might be a bit underrated. I do think he's one of the better SP not in the HOF. I'd put him in the tier of Hershier/Hudson/Buehrle/Pettitte/Stieb/Appier/Finley

I could see Nola finishing with around 50 WAR

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd agree on Vladdy. The 130 OPS+ and 17 WAR thru age 25 sounds good, but he's only had two seasons with an OPS+ of 130 or higher (next best is 122 this year). he's wowed in the HR derby and minor leagues, but his power numbers aside from 2021 haven't been that impressive (three seasons with an ISO below .200, and only a .202 career ISO). he needs to get more lift in his swing and stop hitting so many ground balls. hard hit and exit velocity only matter so much when you hit the ball into the dirt on a regular basis. he's been a good major leaguer, but more good than great.