• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most overrated college football rivalry

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. There's certainly a mutual respect in regards to the importance of winning this game. Every time you watch the game it feels like something that existed long before you were born and will last long after you will die. Each and every game feels historic in nature. I could really care less about other's opinion of the game, end of the day it's decided over 30 conference titles by winning or losing, countless Rose Bowls, and several national championship implications. There's no rivalry in sport that's decided so much for the loser/victor. Because it's also the last game of the season, there's very few rivalries in sports outside of college football that has this big of an in impact for the outcome of the game. Most other rivalries are simply rivalries, played somewhere during the middle of a season. Therefor the brevity of win, lose or draw won't fully be realized until the season is over. With The Game, we're playing the game with everything on the line for at least one team, if not both teams some years. Since the modern game developed after WWII, it's been a fairly split rivalry. We're just trying to make up for loss ground for the rugby days of the game ;)

Well STOP!!!!

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan HAS to start winning OCCASIONALLY. 16-2 the last 18?! REALLY!??!?

Unacceptable.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan HAS to start winning OCCASIONALLY. 16-2 the last 18?! REALLY!??!?

Unacceptable.
They’ve had many moral victories that you are rudely not taking into account.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same could be said for the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party back in the 90's and 00's. Back then UGA rarely beat Florida. Between 1990 and 2010, the Gators won 18 and lost only 3. This decade we're in now is more even, with UGA winning 5 of the last 8 games since 2011.

I don't see an end to Tennessee's misery as far as Alabama goes. Tennessee is bringing in top 20 recruiting classes, while Alabama is bringing in top 5 classes, year after year. The entire SEC is waiting on Saban to retire.

Michigan will eventually get more competitive with Ohio State. Maybe this upcoming coaching change in Columbus will help Michigan out some? Who knows? Harbaugh has been a slight disappointment.

FIFY........

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in the 90s when UM won almost every year. Ohio State could win every game until I die and it would still be a rivalry.

I was born in the 90's, up until around 2002 or 03 if UGA wasn't playing, I wasn't watching. I remember Michigan beating OSU once, and that was with guy between Tressel and Meyer coaching OSU. I have never seen Michigan win in Columbus.

Yes, it will always be a rivalry for the two fanbases involved. Georgia and Georgia Tech has always been and will always be a rivalry, and it runs deeper than most outsider realize, but nobody outside of the state of Georgia cares, and I wouldn't expect them to.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State vs Michigan.

Sure it's a big deal to those two teams, but for the rest of us in the college football world, this is an overrated rivalry. Even the "big" games turn out to be duds, or just boring Big Ten football type football.

Anyone remember the real big game between the two in like 2005? Where it was a night game #1 vs #2. I was asleep by halftime.

Let's try to keep this rivalry regional to those this means a lot. Please stop trying to tell us how great of a rivalry this is.

Not surprisingly, you have just about everything incorrect in your misdirected drivel.

1) The Game has never been at night. Other than a couple of 3:30 starts, it has always kicked off at noon.

2) #1 vs # 2 was in 2006.

3) The two teams you mentioned are from states that actually went to war (not football, real war with armies and everything). The hatred is real.

The infidels to the north are the subject of famous literature - Dante's Inferno comes to mind - - - they are definitely the innermost ring of hell, the epitome of evil incarnate.

I hope they lose every game on the worst call in the history of calls. I hope they never win another game against anyone.

Their loss to App State was one of the happiest days of my life.

Enjoy:

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100616_h.jpg

Michigan's Mount Crushed More, dedicated to those who have gone 0-4 against their hated rival.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would suggest the Iron Bowl.

They never even name the thing until the late 1980, and then no one on the West Coast even knew about the name until sometime in the early 2000s

… When compared to other rivalries that are over 100 years old …???

... Even today, hardly anyone West of the Mississippi watches it … I know that a lot of the Press and people on the East Coast think everyone Nation-wide is watching it -- but they are not …. I have never watched it once...

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

ALL WE WANT IS...

NEBRASKA vs. OKLAHOMA BACK ON BLACK FRIDAY

TEXAS vs. TEXAS A&M BACK

but mostly just the first one.

pooods

Sittin Necked on a Beanbag Eatin Cheetoes
Hoopla Cash
$ 427.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it will always be a rivalry for the two fanbases involved. Georgia and Georgia Tech has always been and will always be a rivalry, and it runs deeper than most outsider realize, but nobody outside of the state of Georgia cares, and I wouldn't expect them to.

there are few things worse than being a DAWG in ATL when that trade school wins

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do I know? I just live in Ohio! Maybe, I just dreamed the Ohio State-Penn State game had meaning the past couple of years or so. Blocked FGs, Classic games, Penn State winning the B1G, but Ohio State going to the CFB Playoff, that kind of stuff. Does not really matter to me though. I'm going to watch the Penn State @ Ohio State game on 11/23 this year and see what happens! Help me out here @Hang_On_Sloopy08! How important has the Penn State game been for Ohio State during the CFB Playoff Era and specifically the past 3 years?

What do I know. I only live in PA. Maybe I just am thinking the OSU has owned PSU during the playoff era. Most of the games were good but that certainly doesn’t mean they are the main rivals of the bucks now. Ohio State still rules the roost and I’d argue Michigan state has given them more trouble than PSU.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are few things worse than being a DAWG in ATL when that trade school wins

I don't get it as bad as you when Tech wins. I'm closer to Tennessee and North Carolina than I am Atlanta(right near the Pickens and Gilmer County line). Not many Tech fans up here.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do I know. I only live in PA. Maybe I just am thinking the OSU has owned PSU during the playoff era. Most of the games were good but that certainly doesn’t mean they are the main rivals of the bucks now. Ohio State still rules the roost and I’d argue Michigan state has given them more trouble than PSU.
Never said they were the Bucks main rival now. Just said, it is a more relevant game AT THIS TIME. At least Penn State has beaten Ohio State and won the B1G during the Playoff Era!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said they were the Bucks main rival now. Just said, it is a more relevant game AT THIS TIME. At least Penn State has beaten Ohio State and won the B1G during the Playoff Era!

An I disagreed and laid out that UM game has had the same meaning of relevancy to the B1G race as the PSU game has during the playoff era. We’ll just agree to disagree.

CouchOnFire

Statism is a disease
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An I disagreed and laid out that UM game has had the same meaning of relevancy to the B1G race as the PSU game has during the playoff era. We’ll just agree to disagree.
Admit it, you're knighting for UM because of RR, right?:pound: