• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Most overrated college football rivalry

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best name of a rivalry game: The Moonshine Throwdown

Marshall-Western Kentucky
LOL that's awesome. Didn't even know they were rivals, tbh.

MTSU-WKU have a pretty good rivalry though ("100 Miles of Hate").

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a fundamentally idiotic thread. There is no rivalry that's going to be enjoyed by every college fanbase, and there are no current rivalries that are nationally elite every year. There are some that have been relevant recently, but OSU-michigan affects the national landscape almost every single year.

This year, it was #4 vs. #7 with a playoff berth on the line for michigan.
Last year, it involved a top 10 OSU vs. a michigan team needing a win to get back into the top 25 where the nation got its first real glimpse at Dwayne Haskins
The year before, it was an OT classic between two top 3 teams
The year before, it was two top 10 teams and Harbaugh's first as michigan coach

You could go back to basically the start of the century and much more often than not, it's been nationally relevant. If you were wanting to pick an overrated rivalry, you chose poorly.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I will miss about Rivals is the unbridled UF/FSU hate. I often said ANY thread over there could turn into a Nole/Gator hate thread in 2 posts.

We’re working on getting it ramped up here - I’ve already crossed swords with one or two of the resident squaws....but this place doesn’t seem to be as infested with fsu fans so we’ll see.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’re working on getting it ramped up here - I’ve already crossed swords with one or two of the resident squaws....but this place doesn’t seem to be as infested with fsu fans so we’ll see.
What the hell is there for FSU fans to run their mouths about?

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there is Bedlam, where you lead little Bro 81-18-7...

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like all of the great nationally meaningful rivalries have gone sideways lately. I wonder what is the current most meaningful EVEN national rivalry out there? I cannot think of a single one.

Auburn is involved in the two most nationally relevant rivalries, The Iron Bowl and Deep South's Oldest Rivalry. UGA leads us 59–56–8 and the total points scored by each team is ridiculously close. In the last five years Auburn played for the natty(after winning one 3 years prior) and last year UGA lost the natty in OT. We are currently Uga's bitch.

The Iron Bowl has Bama in the lead 46–36–1 and the winner has either won or made the championship game(BCS and playoff) all but once in the last five years. And the one time we did not, it was because of a loss to UGA in the SECCG that allowed the IB loser to win the NC. Just five years ago, the Iron Bowl was arguably the GOAT of NCAAF games. The final play is the GOAT, without question. Kordell Stewart agreed with that(do not know if Flutie ever addressed that).

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I will miss about Rivals is the unbridled UF/FSU hate. I often said ANY thread over there could turn into a Nole/Gator hate thread in 2 posts.

The best were when the thread had absolutely NOTHING to do with either team, and sometimes not even about football at all. :-)

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see this shit, @MAIZEandBLUE09!!! This is UN-FUCKING-ACCEPTABLE!!

Because of the has-been status of your shit program and the laughing stock dummy you retards pay a fortune to head coach, the rest of the country is doubting THE GAME.

Get your shit together, you fucking assholes.

Michigan.jpg

Reactions: gob

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I've read three pages and I've learned that nobody
understands the difference between a "rivalry" and a "Big game"
or an "important game."

A rivalry is a game where the fans, students, players of the
losing team have to live with the winners for the next 365 days.

If you don't have to live with them, it ain't a rivalry.

Just because two teams might be very good and face each
other yearly, doesn't make it a rivalry. It makes it an important
game...a Big game...a title contending game...but it ain't a rivalry.

Important games, big games, title-contending games often
change from one opponent to another. Your rival never changes.

OK...now y'all may return to misusing the term rivalry.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because of the has-been status of your shit program and the laughing stock dummy you retards pay a fortune to head coach, the rest of the country is doubting THE GAME.

View attachment 192863
LjJ7.gif

It's been a great 18 years. EIGHTEEN

I started really getting into Michigan football around 2001 when I was in high school. I have literally never watched us beat OSU in Columbus. Never. Not once. Not a single time.

I've seen like Illinois do it. Purdue do it. Nope, not us.

Reactions: gob

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well your somebody who’s opinion I most certainly respect and like to discuss with. I will tell you, the rivalry is as healthy as ever from a hatred standpoint with Michigan. From a competitive standpoint it’s been an amazing run for the Buckeyes. I go to most every game and was super underwhelmed with our stadium attendance and overall enthusiasm. This year was the first time in The Shoe I saw it struggle to sell out? Not only that, with a lot of poor play skating by this year left our stadium very somber most Saturdays. Something I’m not used to seeing. But the past two Michigan games at The Shoe have been some of the loudest my energized crowds I’ve ever seen in The Shoe? It still has that IT factor. I went to Ann Harbor last year too for the game, you talk about salty when Haskins came in for JT to save the day. They were frothing for a win and we once again stole defeat from the jaws of victory. The Big House was absolutely deflated. Really good times, but I can contest for the fans on both sides things are as heated as ever.

What many (including @OregonDucks ) don't understand is this rivalry dates back before football. It is a civilized border war (with a lot of bloodshed this year). Two teams that have an amazing football rivalry and well as political and border disputes. There is now a bigger rivalry in all sports.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a fundamentally idiotic thread. There is no rivalry that's going to be enjoyed by every college fanbase, and there are no current rivalries that are nationally elite every year. There are some that have been relevant recently, but OSU-michigan affects the national landscape almost every single year.

This year, it was #4 vs. #7 with a playoff berth on the line for michigan.
Last year, it involved a top 10 OSU vs. a michigan team needing a win to get back into the top 25 where the nation got its first real glimpse at Dwayne Haskins
The year before, it was an OT classic between two top 3 teams
The year before, it was two top 10 teams and Harbaugh's first as michigan coach

You could go back to basically the start of the century and much more often than not, it's been nationally relevant. If you were wanting to pick an overrated rivalry, you chose poorly.

If that's your criteria for nationally relevant, Bama/Auburn has been relevant for over a decade now.

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every rivalry is overrated to another region of the country.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What many (including @OregonDucks ) don't understand is this rivalry dates back before football. It is a civilized border war (with a lot of bloodshed this year). Two teams that have an amazing football rivalry and well as political and border disputes. There is now a bigger rivalry in all sports.

I wouldn't go that far.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 192863

While UM is getting their program together — Would OSU please do the same?
Someone needs to keep the B1G’s conference head above water and OSU paying players with tattoos, coaching scandals, enabling women beaters and letting teams like Iowa and Purdue to use you as their personal urinal isn’t helping matters.

Let’s clean it up a bit — UM doesn’t want a mess to clean up when we get back to our rightful spot atop the B1G:suds:

PS — In before MnB says wait until next year for what seems like the 800th year in a row:mad2: DAMN YOU OSU!!!!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon vs Oregon state. Who fucking cares?

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well said. There's certainly a mutual respect in regards to the importance of winning this game. Every time you watch the game it feels like something that existed long before you were born and will last long after you will die. Each and every game feels historic in nature. I could really care less about other's opinion of the game, end of the day it's decided over 30 conference titles by winning or losing, countless Rose Bowls, and several national championship implications. There's no rivalry in sport that's decided so much for the loser/victor. Because it's also the last game of the season, there's very few rivalries in sports outside of college football that has this big of an in impact for the outcome of the game. Most other rivalries are simply rivalries, played somewhere during the middle of a season. Therefor the brevity of win, lose or draw won't fully be realized until the season is over. With The Game, we're playing the game with everything on the line for at least one team, if not both teams some years. Since the modern game developed after WWII, it's been a fairly split rivalry. We're just trying to make up for loss ground for the rugby days of the game ;)