• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

more scouts

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
WHO GIVES A F!!

We have Green, we will have another good #2 WR on their way, Shipley, Hawkins, Leonard, Gresham. He is not going to be getting 30+ receptions, because he is not going to be thrown to that much regardless. He will get an occassional catch and be targeted once in a while. No one has ever doubted his hands, he just hasn't been thrown the ball much.

We do not need a Ray Rice who is going to get 50+ catches a season. We need a good solid RB who can run between the tackles and gain 1 yard on 3rd and 1. We need a guy who is not going to nearly fumble the game away in the closing quarter. We need a guy not constantly tackled behind the line of scrimmage. Of of which Green-Ellis is really good at. He is not goign to break one off for 50+ yards for a big TD, but he will be a grinder, and a LOS mover. He will only be targeted for a pass out of the backfield every once in w hile, so the BACKS ARE BASICALLY IDENTICAL!! It does not matter, don't you understand that shit?

You do understand what the word "threat" means, correct? With our backs last season, nobody had to worry about them on passing plays. The LB that would have otherwise been responsible for the RB would roam for any cutting players.

With a RB that is a threat out of the backfield, defenses always have to have a LB designated on said RB on passing downs in case he leaks out from a block.

The simple threat of having a RB that can catch out of the backfield opens up the field for the receivers. Passes over the middle become easier. Changes the dynamics. It adds another dimension to the offense.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey genius. The Texans MADE the playoffs and BEAT the Bengald there. It was also widely believed that he left in large part NOT because of money but to go to a team with a better shot at winning. You're hilarious today. Please post more nonsense.

Prior to Joseph signing there, no they hadn't.

Try again.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you can find somebody that, going into the season, didn't think the Texans were a better situation then you let me know. Lol

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boldin was traded to Baltimore, not picked up via FA, and only because they literally had nobody else to play WR. Historically, they, nor any of the top teams, add a bunch of big named free agents. I would have kept Fanene, but he rotated here. He'll be the starter in Cleveland. He wasn't staying.

This is semantics. He was looking for a new contract, and was promptly signed to a multi yr deal after the trade. edit- Bears fans aren't complaining about mgmt ignoring the biggest hole on their roster after the Marshall trade. The Ravens have also picked up Trevor Pryce, Samari Rolle, Steve McNair, Derrick Mason over the yrs. They're also right up against the cap this season...

Two teams had comperable cap space to the Bengals this offseason. The Broncos went out and signed Manning to 20 million a yr. The Bucs added a star WR, one of the best interior OL in the game, and a solid starting CB..

the Bengals did nothing.

it cant be defended. The NFL is basically forcing teams to spend money and MB is still holding on to every last cent while he still can...

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Which is why I didn't say they did some fantastic job. I agreed with a C+ as mentioned by somebody else. Not as bad as some people are making out. Bush vs BJGE is a push. Anderson adds to the line. Guard is better. Secondary is as good or better than last year. Need LB and a WR and more guard help

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Which is why I didn't say they did some fantastic job. I agreed with a C+ as mentioned by somebody else. Not as bad as some people are making out. Bush vs BJGE is a push. Anderson adds to the line. Guard is better. Secondary is as good or better than last year. Need LB and a WR and more guard help

we had the most cap space in the NFL and all the moves did was tread water as far as the talent-level on the roster is concerned..

I'm not high on the BJGE move. what's an example of the Patriots losing a productive player to another team during the Belichick era? I literally can't think of one instance. Anderson doesn't make up for Rucker and Fanene (sp?). Guard is most likely a push..

with the cap space, and team's having to spend up to the limit next yr it seemed like a good time to make some legitimate moves

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other teams will not be able to afford superstars outside their organization too much after this year, because everyone will be up against the salary cap minus the players they are losing in FA. So whatever the value of the players lost is all they will have to spend. Unless they lose a superstar making tons of money, they will have little to no room to sign opposing teams FA superstars either.

So since all 31 other teams are spending in FA this year, none of them will be able to offer AJ in the future. That is seriously your argument? Jesus. We've already seen plenty of times that guys will take less to play elsewhere.

And you continue to assume Mike Brown will actually make competitive offers to these guys - which is moronic.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we had the most cap space in the NFL and all the moves did was tread water as far as the talent-level on the roster is concerned..

I'm not high on the BJGE move. what's an example of the Patriots losing a productive player to another team during the Belichick era? I literally can't think of one instance. Anderson doesn't make up for Rucker and Fanene (sp?). Guard is most likely a push..

with the cap space, and team's having to spend up to the limit next yr it seemed like a good time to make some legitimate moves

Anderson makes up for 1 but not both. Guard is a definite upgrade. Profootballfocus has given the Bengals positive grades on every signing except Harvey.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So since all 31 other teams are spending in FA this year, none of them will be able to offer AJ in the future. That is seriously your argument? Jesus. We've already seen plenty of times that guys will take less to play elsewhere.

And you continue to assume Mike Brown will actually make competitive offers to these guys - which is moronic.

No, what I am saying, is after this year, all teams will struggle to sign superstar free agents when they are forced to sign players to 99% cap, unless they lose their superstars making big money, or they are able to free themselves of bad contracts. However, there are going to be a lot higher guaranteed money in contracts now, so dropping players will be much harder to do.

Teams are going to have to plan way in advance to keep their superstars, so you will see MUCH SHORTER contracts for average players and for sure below average players. Only the top 25% of the players will probably recieve multi-year contracts, so teams have the option of signing their FA they want to keep, or who wants to have a chance to really plan in FA in general.

This new 99% cap spend, higher guaranteed bonuses, are going to play into the hands of the more frugal owners. The problem with the new system, the average players are going to make too much money just so owners can spend to 99%. With the need to do that, there are going to be a lot higher number of 1 year contracts, maybe 2 years contracts.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, what I am saying, is after this year, all teams will struggle to sign superstar free agents when they are forced to sign players to 99% cap, unless they lose their superstars making big money, or they are able to free themselves of bad contracts. However, there are going to be a lot higher guaranteed money in contracts now, so dropping players will be much harder to do.

Teams are going to have to plan way in advance to keep their superstars, so you will see MUCH SHORTER contracts for average players and for sure below average players. Only the top 25% of the players will probably recieve multi-year contracts, so teams have the option of signing their FA they want to keep, or who wants to have a chance to really plan in FA in general.

This new 99% cap spend, higher guaranteed bonuses, are going to play into the hands of the more frugal owners. The problem with the new system, the average players are going to make too much money just so owners can spend to 99%. With the need to do that, there are going to be a lot higher number of 1 year contracts, maybe 2 years contracts.

I agree that you'll see more one year deals..... But I don't think it will be much of a big deal to retain your own talent. There are plenty of ways of working contracts across years to have various impact on the cap. Teams that are creative with the cap will continue to have an advantage.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nothing is going to change for the 90% of teams that have been spending to the cap year in and year out for decades. Nothing whatsoever. They aren't going to "struggle" any more or less signing their own or other superstar FA than they have in any other year in the past.

Quit making stuff up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is going to change for the 90% of teams that have been spending to the cap year in and year out for decades. Nothing whatsoever. They aren't going to "struggle" any more or less signing their own or other superstar FA than they have in any other year in the past.

Quit making stuff up.

I am not making anything up. If teams are going to be active in FA, they will only start signing players to 1 or 2 year deals, because they need to make sure the their cap is constantly got padding in order to assure they can resign their stars. So teams that want to retain the talent, will not hand out big contracts in FA, they will find fillers and give them 1 to 2 year deals.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am not making anything up. If teams are going to be active in FA, they will only start signing players to 1 or 2 year deals, because they need to make sure the their cap is constantly got padding in order to assure they can resign their stars. So teams that want to retain the talent, will not hand out big contracts in FA, they will find fillers and give them 1 to 2 year deals.

No. It's work the same as it always has. For teams that are always against the salary cap, nothing changes. Status quo.