• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

More humiliation for the megalomaniac

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the WTA has had more then 6-7 players that were great servers, at any time in the past 30 years.

So when watching the WTA, it's usually been about the other styles of games. Most players didn't have great serves.

Kuznetsova was someone that I think had a variety of serves and variety of shots, but even she couldn't consistently make deep runs after 2009.

Someone, for example, said he liked Safina for her fight. Her first deep run was when she kept saving match points at the French Open in 2008.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why does the word "great" have to come up in a conversation about being able to hold serve consistently?

i'd say there are maybe 1-2 great servers on the WTA at any one time, and maybe 10 other solid servers. the rest are just fucking awful, but you're right, it's been that way for a long time.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I don’t think the surface is that crucial for him even though I don’t like him. He just likes that venue a lot at the Australian and it’s a psychological advantage. I think it’s also where he got his first breakthrough win vs Fed at a slam.
Djokovic seems to be pretty decent on all surfaces, but he only has one French Open to his name.
the parity is a result of dreadful serving, imo. the average 2nd serve speed of all of the matches i watched on the women's side was maybe 80 mph. the number of breaks makes it hard to watch for me, but i understand we all have different tastes and ideas about what constitutes good tennis.

viewership = endorsement money

that's true for every sport, and there's no way around it.

kournikova was nothing more than a tennis model, and was the highest paid WTA athlete for a time. sharapova and serena were both in their primes at the same time. guess which one was getting the most endorsement money? not just by a little, but by a lot? sharapova is nothing but a tennis model now, and she made $6 million in endorsements last year even with her doping scandal and doing jack shit on the court. sabatini won 1 major, and was raking in far more than female tennis players vastly superior to her in athleticism and accomplishments.

there is no analog between what I described above and the men's side over the past 30 years.

it's fine that you like the wta right now, but there's no mistake that overt sexuality is a big factor in its viewership.
Anna Kournakova was 15 yrs ago and yes she had a track record of double faulting a lot and she wasn't a great player.

How about a more recent example?