• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

mock draft thread 2023

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a good question if C.J. Stroud fell to our pick would you take him or try and trade the pick I think we would get a pretty good haul from someone if that happened
This team has been looking for an answer at QB for years, and if I'm understanding the consensus on this board correctly drafting one until we get a solution is a must, correct? So, if as you suggest one who is projected to be anywhere from the top pick to as low as the 5th pick happens to fall to us, we should pass and trade down?

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a good question if C.J. Stroud fell to our pick would you take him or try and trade the pick I think we would get a pretty good haul from someone if that happened

for a 1st, 2nd and 2024 1st yes. There is nearly no scenario where I don't go all in on Howell.
I just can't forsee him being WORSE than Wince.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a 1st, 2nd and 2024 1st yes. There is nearly no scenario where I don't go all in on Howell.
I just can't forsee him being WORSE than Wince.
Taylor Heinicke wasn't worse than Wince either.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stymietee

I'm either making the playoffs or sacrificing the season trying with Howell. I need to know what i have in him. If CJ drops to 16, it could be a serious red f
lag. If that move cost me my job, i left the next guy with extra draft capital

My cellphone is wildin out.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Stymietee

I'm either making the playoffs or sacrificing the season trying with Howell. I need to know what i have in him. If CJ drops to 16, it could be a serious red f
lag. If that move cost me my job, i left the next guy with extra draft capital

My cellphone is wildin out.
Irony, Irony, Irony, Irony in droves here so perhaps you can help me out with it.

1. What are these "red flags" supposed to be that would apply to Stroud who would fall from the top of the draft to us at 16, that doesn't apply to Howell who by some accounts fell from the first round to the 5th round?

2. You're going to have to fill two empty QB slots before training camp begins, one I believe you'd get via free agency correct? Here's the ironic part of this move down... where are you getting the other QB to fill the 3rd QB slot? :-)hope:please don't say you'd draft one in the later rounds! :hope:, please don't say that you'd draft one in the later rounds!:hope: please don't say that you'd draft one in the later rounds!:hope:)

3. "I'm either making the playoffs or sacrificing the season trying with Howell." An attempt to "Tank" the season?? Players know and you could lose the locker room long before the season begins

4. "I need to know what I have in him." This is one of the more infamous lines in all of football (probably only second to "depends on the spot!") and it literally means "I'm either lacking the wherewithal or absolutely cannot properly evaluate who starts and who doesn't as a coach." It is also the reason why Rivera is backtracking on his public statements about Howell being the starter next year. (QB1) Howell needs competition and so does the team.

5. "If that move cost me my job, I left the next guy with extra draft capital" Essentially "Oh well!!" :noidea: As seemingly every other team in the league is making moves to improve their product, you're going to ask your players to run through walls for you, despite the fact that you aren't doing everything possible to make their season-long sacrifices worth it. Why trade down, or draft other players at all when the plan appears to be the losers' lament... "we don't want the best players possible, but we'll take a boatload of guys that will hopefully pan out/ contribute for us."

BTW: The same thing is happening to my phone as well, I really don't know why this is happening, so I'm using my laptop...????

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irony, Irony, Irony, Irony in droves here so perhaps you can help me out with it.

1. What are these "red flags" supposed to be that would apply to Stroud who would fall from the top of the draft to us at 16, that doesn't apply to Howell who by some accounts fell from the first round to the 5th round?

2. You're going to have to fill two empty QB slots before training camp begins, one I believe you'd get via free agency correct? Here's the ironic part of this move down... where are you getting the other QB to fill the 3rd QB slot? :-)hope:please don't say you'd draft one in the later rounds! :hope:, please don't say that you'd draft one in the later rounds!:hope: please don't say that you'd draft one in the later rounds!:hope:)

3. "I'm either making the playoffs or sacrificing the season trying with Howell." An attempt to "Tank" the season?? Players know and you could lose the locker room long before the season begins

4. "I need to know what I have in him." This is one of the more infamous lines in all of football (probably only second to "depends on the spot!") and it literally means "I'm either lacking the wherewithal or absolutely cannot properly evaluate who starts and who doesn't as a coach." It is also the reason why Rivera is backtracking on his public statements about Howell being the starter next year. (QB1) Howell needs competition and so does the team.

5. "If that move cost me my job, I left the next guy with extra draft capital" Essentially "Oh well!!" :noidea: As seemingly every other team in the league is making moves to improve their product, you're going to ask your players to run through walls for you, despite the fact that you aren't doing everything possible to make their season-long sacrifices worth it. Why trade down, or draft other players at all when the plan appears to be the losers' lament... "we don't want the best players possible, but we'll take a boatload of guys that will hopefully pan out/ contribute for us."

BTW: The same thing is happening to my phone as well, I really don't know why this is happening, so I'm using my laptop...????
jake fromm state farm is the answer

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Poor interview/character, 2. Heart/body concern/ - ex. Allen problematic shoulder assessment. 3/legal revelation either true or not.
(all likely untrue, but hypothetical for argument sake)

2. You're going to have to fill two empty QB slots before training camp begins, one I believe you'd get via free agency correct?
YES free agency/ and.......draft lol.

3. All in on Howell/FA back-up ---"sacrificing the season" in this particular sense carries the thought that -- i'll finish the season with him, there is just no way i foresee an offense worse that what was on the field with Turner. it will also let me know, i need to look elsewhere at QB....thus completely settling point 4.

as far as #5. if we are winning, the players confidence will grow and skepticism will shrink.
Also if i'm trading my 16th pick but gaining another 1 and 2nd, i strongly believe ill get a contributor right away.
i appreciate your questions, sorry for kinda rushed replies. What i like is we have different views on Howell being able to lead this team to the playoffs and beyond, and if Hooker could really come in and push for the starting job if healthy.

Naturally, starting Howell, or passing on CJ at 16 would not be your preference.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a hard time believing Cincinnati would make this trade. They have to pay Burrow and Chase soon.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow that simulator is crazy. Every time they had at least one of the top three QBs available at 16. Once I had the choice of Stroud and Levis at 16.
Over 30 picks

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie’ mock on Walter is pretty good. It has Devin Witherspoon in round 1, Henson Hooker in 2, and Brandon Joseph in 3. I would love to see us trade up in round 3 and grab Jarrett Patterson instead, who is projected 11 picks earlier, which would likely cost our fourth.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlie’ mock on Walter is pretty good. It has Devin Witherspoon in round 1, Henson Hooker in 2, and Brandon Joseph in 3. I would love to see us trade up in round 3 and grab Jarrett Patterson instead, who is projected 11 picks earlier, which would likely cost our fourth.
No to Hooker dude is a bust

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is as good as any other QB in this draft.
Sorry, that is not true.

As a die hard Vols fan, I wouldn't draft Hooker unless it was the 7th round. He runs a gimic offense. I watched every Hooker snap while at TN...he isn't worth a pick before the 7th round.

I love Josh Heupel but he runs an up tempo/spacing offense. Hooker simply had one read, a check down or scramble. The offense is based on speed and spacing. I love Hendon Hooker as he was special, but I would NOT want the Commanders to take him. TN doesn't prepare offensive skill players for the NFL. Everything is based of tricks and schemes for the offense.

"Hendon hooker is operating this theoretical offense where you're only ever reading half the field," continued Monson. "And it's not even a full half-field read where you're working through a progression. It's just an either-or concept. Like you have a crossing pattern of some description, a route concept that goes against the defense, and all you have to do is decide 'do I hit the left guy or the right guy?' It's not playing quarterback. It's doing something different."

"So when you're looking at Hooker and saying he can be QB five (in the 2023 NFL Draft) -- which a lot of people are -- it's because he's got prototypical size more or less. Because he's got speed, because he's got all the tools. But projecting what he's doing in college, from an offensive point of view, to what he's going to have to do in the NFL is barely even worth attempting because the offense is that absurd. So if you're using like, touchdown to interception ratio, you're just wasting everybody's time because that's irrelevant."

Last edited: