• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB's Issue in popularity

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ticket prices have something to do with it too, though they do have more cost-effective options than does the NFL for example. But when it costs so much to take the family to a ballgame, you're pricing yourself out of a significant pool of fans.

ESPN's 2015 attendance figures for MLB and NFL:

NFL -

MLB -

In 2015, 325% more fans saw a live MLB game than an NFL game.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good point. It may make zero profiting sense, but to lower ticket prices and vending prices would be a huge lure to the ballpark. I looked into a trip to Seattle to watch the mariners last Summer. I think with just one kid, two adults, I was looking at a $300 day when you include everything from gas, food, tickets, etc. and that was probably cutting it on the low end.

MLB owners are making money hand over fist right now. With high attendance, the new mega TV contracts, and the massive success of their MLBAM efforts, revenues are through the roof, and despite the huge player salaries, player payroll as a percentage of revenue has been dropping significantly over the last two decades.

I do think they should lower ticket/parking/concession prices, but when they're selling 74MM tickets a season, it's hard to say that the market can't bear the prices.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball deserves everything it gets.

It schedules it's games to squeeze out every last dollar from it's advertising revenue.
Fuck everybody if the game goes to midnight, fuck the kids if they can't stay up that late to watch the playoffs.

Well more & more kids grew up realizing they don't need or care about baseball.

I watched the NBA finals. Those games go late too.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you get the MLB Network? They show quite a few games per week and their show, Baseball Tonight, is almost like a MLB-bent Sports Center with live look-ins to high leverage spots in all 15 games. If you don't like baseball, you won't like it, but if you're looking for coverage of more teams that the Mariners, it's out there.
It's MLB Tonight. Baseball Tonight is on ESPN

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ticket prices have something to do with it too, though they do have more cost-effective options than does the NFL for example. But when it costs so much to take the family to a ballgame, you're pricing yourself out of a significant pool of fans.
I'm not sure what I'm missing here. A seat at Lincoln Financial starts at $90. You can't get into the building for less than $55 at face for SROs. A family of four needs $210 to just get into the stadium.

I can see 3 Phillies games at SRO pricing ($17 vs. $55), or 5 games at seat pricing ($18 vs. $90). In terms of overall "value", the NFL is priced better at bang for buck (MLB should be 10 times cheaper, based on # of home games), but I don't know too many people that factor that into the equation.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB owners are making money hand over fist right now. With high attendance, the new mega TV contracts, and the massive success of their MLBAM efforts, revenues are through the roof, and despite the huge player salaries, player payroll as a percentage of revenue has been dropping significantly over the last two decades.

I do think they should lower ticket/parking/concession prices, but when they're selling 74MM tickets a season, it's hard to say that the market can't bear the prices.

The ticket prices are supply and demand. The only way they go down is if people stop going. The teams actually do lower prices in sections that aren't selling and monitor the secondary markets to see what seats they can up the prices on.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could watch both shows all fucking day.
I don't like Baseball Tonight. MLB Tonight is awesome, IMO (except when they do those ridiculous diamond demo's)

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a typo. I meant to so I agree it isn't going away. No wonder @Guy Incognito made that response. Sorry gents, didn't even notice the mistake.

I figured it was going to be something like that.

I'd have been shocked if we disagreed on that point.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have cable so I haven't watched a M's game in probably 2 years. I use to fall asleep to them in the recliner quite often, especially in the summer time. IMO, one of the cool things about the NFL is that everybody gets to watch games for the most part. I also used to listen to them on the radio, over my phone, that ended this year for some reason. They need to work a deal with ABC/NBC/CBS or whoever to get the game into the households without cable.

Marlins2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,363.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured it was going to be something like that.

I'd have been shocked if we disagreed on that point.
I am not aloud to post on al central board... So I have to respond here... Indians offense is over performing and you know it. You also know I predicted the al central to be...

Indians
Tigers
White Sox
Royals
Twins

Search it... Its there multiple times.... And I was laughed at for saying the Royals would collapse.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just the marketing, but their choices in broadcasters. Used to be able to see a Saturday game or two on the three main networks, now nothing. If you don't have ESPN or the FoxSports regional cable channels, forget about baseball.

I have had MLB.TV and it was decent for watching my team (Yanks) because I'm out of market, but in a sense, it's overload to try and watch the mosaic or more than one game at a time unless you're constantly swapping feeds. Then you're still subject to blackouts from the local level, unless they've changed it since I had a sub.

I don't mind the game length, the season length could be an issue for some but I've never had a problem with it.
I agree but if you live around the Chicago area (like I do) you can see all the Cubs & White Sox games without ESPN or Fox Sports; But yeah usually only on WGN or local local channels.

nathans8823

Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's 2015 attendance figures for MLB and NFL:

NFL -

MLB -

In 2015, 325% more fans saw a live MLB game than an NFL game.
But how many MLB Games are there.. and how many NFL games are there on ESPN? (A year)

nathans8823

Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally still think its great to go to a baseball game however to watch it on TV... :ohwell: