• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB One Player Per Team Draft : CHAT

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk, pitch count? Do you think Walter Johnson had a pitch count? These guys would throw 200 pitches a game with regularity.

But he also didn't play with a 5 man rotation nor a bullpen that will be as strong as ours will be... Also he never faced offenses that were this good.... Of course there will be pitch count, these olden pitchers would be treated just like the modern day pitchers are on these teams... Just because a pitcher had so many complete games doesn't mean that we can expect them to do it here...

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is where we would disagree... I feel like in these mocks where we are all going to be super strong, pitching deep into games is going to be near impossible... and with Bullpens and rest of rotation that is going to be very strong, I don't see why any good manager would allow these pitchers to go deep into games unless they are totally dominating...

If we are playing a 5 game series why wouldn't you keep your pitcher in there. He has the offseason to rest. Now of course we are talking during the season not playoffs, then of course pull the guy after 110 pitches (depending on game).

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk your logic is backwards on this.

A deeper rotation means that you can extend the starter more pitches because he won't be needed to pitch multiple games in the series. Only your 2 would. And that's 1 extra game

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually value these teams 40% starting lineup, 30%rotation, 20% Bullpen, 10% Bench...

With more measurements inside each subgroup(starting lineup, Rotation, Bullpen, Bench)
That's bout roughly where I'm at on values. But I think a bench can be worth more if done right.

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Nos for answering my text. :L Waited 25min to make sure the 2 players I picked could play at #1 and #2 hitter but no response from you.

That's it I quit.

I think they're good 3 and 4 hitters myself :suds:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk, pitch count? Do you think Walter Johnson had a pitch count? These guys would throw 200 pitches a game with regularity.
He didn't have a pitch count, sure.

But he also faced 150 lb white boys. All day, e'ry day.(note: I have two 150 lb white boys in my lineup and that's it.)

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk your logic is backwards on this.

A deeper rotation means that you can extend the starter more pitches because he won't be needed to pitch multiple games in the series. Only your 2 would. And that's 1 extra game

not saying you cant extend, but you cant have it both ways... Either a top end rotation can beat an elite offense, or the offense will find its ways to score... If you think that the offense can find its way to score, then I would much rather have a fresh Mariano Rivera pitching that a tired Walter Johnson, who has given up 4 runs already...

The point is, that it doesn't matter if the pitcher is known to go deep into games, when we are in these mocks, and you believe that the offenses will find ways to score, then you have to treat all these pitchers with a similar hand... Of course the better are better, but how often do you keep a pitcher in the game when they let up 4 runs in a game and they have more than 100 pitches?? If you want to keep walter Johnson in then do it, but the longer he is in the higher I would estimate his ERA to get...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't have a pitch count, sure.

But he also faced 150 lb white boys. All day, e'ry day.(note: I have two 150 lb white boys in my lineup and that's it.)
He'd have blown away your muscleheads too lol Thats why I love baseball, it's the one sport where you can't say teams are better because their OL is 350+ and DE's 285 and fast....once baseball got the roofs out of the game, modern guys can't hit them any farther than Mantle or More frequently than Hank or for a better average than Teddy Ballgame. Modern doesn't mean better

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not saying you cant extend, but you cant have it both ways... Either a top end rotation can beat an elite offense, or the offense will find its ways to score... If you think that the offense can find its way to score, then I would much rather have a fresh Mariano Rivera pitching that a tired Walter Johnson, who has given up 4 runs already...

The point is, that it doesn't matter if the pitcher is known to go deep into games, when we are in these mocks, and you believe that the offenses will find ways to score, then you have to treat all these pitchers with a similar hand... Of course the better are better, but how often do you keep a pitcher in the game when they let up 4 runs in a game and they have more than 100 pitches?? If you want to keep walter Johnson in then do it, but the longer he is in the higher I would estimate his ERA to get...

Starters back then didn't tire because they threw more. Nolan Ryan laughs at pitch counts. I've seen Verlander 94 in the first inning and 101 in the 9th

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd have blown away your muscleheads too lol Thats why I love baseball, it's the one sport where you can't say teams are better because their OL is 350+ and DE's 285 and fast....once baseball got the roofs out of the game, modern guys can't hit them any farther than Mantle or More frequently than Hank or for a better average than Teddy Ballgame. Modern doesn't mean better

nobody did say modern is better... I know I didn't... My point is simply, when we do these mocks our teams are just too good to expect these pitchers to last long... I believe that's why Nos, values hitting so much in these mocks... My whole point was simply that the bullpen is very important in these mocks because they will allow you to extend the greatness...

I am not comparing players from different generations, just saying that in these mocks they will all be treated with a similar hand... if they let up too many runs, they will be taken out... They will likely not go deep into games when they have struggled because there are fresh arms that can do their jobs just as well... Yes, I do think Tom Henke, or even Jesse Orosco, for one inning with a fresh arm is better than Walter Johnson after a certain point in a game...

I can tell you, if you have a weak bullpen, I will definitely take that heavily into account when voting... And if you are going to focus on your rotation, then you will likely have one of the weaker offenses...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he also didn't play with a 5 man rotation nor a bullpen that will be as strong as ours will be... Also he never faced offenses that were this good.... Of course there will be pitch count, these olden pitchers would be treated just like the modern day pitchers are on these teams... Just because a pitcher had so many complete games doesn't mean that we can expect them to do it here...

Who said it's modern day? For me it's 1963...:heh:

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody did say modern is better... I know I didn't... My point is simply, when we do these mocks our teams are just too good to expect these pitchers to last long... I believe that's why Nos, values hitting so much in these mocks... My whole point was simply that the bullpen is very important in these mocks because they will allow you to extend the greatness...

I am not comparing players from different generations, just saying that in these mocks they will all be treated with a similar hand... if they let up too many runs, they will be taken out... They will likely not go deep into games when they have struggled because there are fresh arms that can do their jobs just as well... Yes, I do think Tom Henke, or even Jesse Orosco, for one inning with a fresh arm is better than Walter Johnson after a certain point in a game...

I can tell you, if you have a weak bullpen, I will definitely take that heavily into account when voting... And if you are going to focus on your rotation, then you will likely have one of the weaker offenses...

Lots of good it's done me! :L

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news today, wait for it. Bad news my son has one functioning kidney and we didn't know if he would live past birth. At 9months he had his right kidney removed. 1yr ago he had his left kidney check and it looked bloated but functioning fine. Today was his follow up to see what it looks like. He was strapped down and had to sit still for 45min. The boy cant sit still for 45sec but he did great while the tests were done. In conclusion his kidney looks great and never has to return to the doctor.

Felling good today.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news today, wait for it. Bad news my son has one functioning kidney and we didn't know if he would live past birth. At 9months he had his right kidney removed. 1yr ago he had his left kidney check and it looked bloated but functioning fine. Today was his follow up to see what it looks like. He was strapped down and had to sit still for 45min. The boy cant sit still for 45sec but he did great while the tests were done. In conclusion his kidney looks great and never has to return to the doctor.

Felling good today.
Glory to God! What great news

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While Indont think individually Modern players are better, I think there's obviously more talent in the modern game than in Pre WWII MLB baseball. Including players from any nation based on ability and not just white Americans has improved the talent pool immeasurably.

But I still consider Johnson the greatest pitcher of all time. I just don't see anyone making it thru the 7th in these Mocks.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Felling good today.
Couldn't be happier for you Ritz! That's awesome buddy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starters back then didn't tire because they threw more. Nolan Ryan laughs at pitch counts. I've seen Verlander 94 in the first inning and 101 in the 9th
Back when JV was great the first was always his toughest. When he was on he got better as the game when on. Wish I would have made more of an attempt to see him live back then. Glad I got to a couple of times during his high point. (Saw him get rocked a couple of times. Not sure I saw him win. Weird how that works. He did have a couple nice Opening Days when Inwas there.)