• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB FA's is it worth it......

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was thinking about this a few days ago with friends.......who/when was the last player that signed a huge contract with a NEW team(not an extension)
that actually was worth it

a-rods 1st deal.....

crawford/gonzo boston....

halladay/lee deals havent worked yet for the phillies

santana for the mets...uh nope

teixeira ......

i know some deals are young..fielder/hamilton/pujols???

i think the only one that can be considered a success is CC

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think: Interesting thought. I would say that Halladay and Lee have been good pitchers for the Phils, but I see what you mean in terms of nothing big has been rewarded to them since the signings.

I'm racking my brain and can't think of any right now. I can only keep remembering guys who signed extensions with their current teams.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonds to the Giants 20 years ago.

But I agree. There have only been maybe 2 or 3 of the mega free agents that need up working out for the new team. As Gians fans, we typically groan anytime we are linked to a big time free agent. The last two we have signed have been relative failures (even if we do have 2 rings with them on the payroll), and all except Bonds have been bad.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put Adrian Gonzalez in this group at all. His value, dollar-for-dollar, is much higher than anyone listed. In fact, it's not even close.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going back a few years, but Randy Johnson signing with Arizona after the 98 season has to be one of the best free agent signings......although, he wasn't even the biggest free agent pitcher signed that offseason as Kevin Brown signed with the Dodgers for more, and obviously delivered much much less.......

But yeah, the number of big free agent signings that work well are much more difficult to find than the disasters......

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put Adrian Gonzalez in this group at all. His value, dollar-for-dollar, is much higher than anyone listed. In fact, it's not even close.

Maybe I'm confused, but wasn't he traded and not a free agent signing anyway?

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't win a championship but Carlos Beltran was the best center fielder in baseball during his tenure with the Mets. He was ridiculous.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm confused, but wasn't he traded and not a free agent signing anyway?

Oh, actually you're right even though we got shit for him.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going back a few years, but Randy Johnson signing with Arizona after the 98 season has to be one of the best free agent signings......although, he wasn't even the biggest free agent pitcher signed that offseason as Kevin Brown signed with the Dodgers for more, and obviously delivered much much less.......

But yeah, the number of big free agent signings that work well are much more difficult to find than the disasters......

The Big Unit was a very sound investment. They got a WS and he earned every cent of that contract.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't win a championship but Carlos Beltran was the best center fielder in baseball during his tenure with the Mets. He was ridiculous.

How many games did he actually play though?

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carlos Beltran Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

05-08 he was playing pretty much the entire season. That guy was as legit as they come. I still root for him even though he's off the team.

I don't know how the guy was an all star in 05, but 06-08 he was legit.....09,10,and 11 not so much......

So during his tenure with the Mets, I give him 3 very good years, one average year(05, and I'm being generous calling that average), and 3 very bad years (caveat that not playing much = bad years despite what he actually did while playing)

I would say that wasn't a horrible signing by any means, but not sure it was a good use of funds for return when looking at the entire span......but that's just it with these mega long term deals......teams usually get good/great production early and then are paying for it at the back end......

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how the guy was an all star in 05, but 06-08 he was legit.....09,10,and 11 not so much......

So during his tenure with the Mets, I give him 3 very good years, one average year(05, and I'm being generous calling that average), and 3 very bad years (caveat that not playing much = bad years despite what he actually did while playing)

I would say that wasn't a horrible signing by any means, but not sure it was a good use of funds for return when looking at the entire span......but that's just it with these mega long term deals......teams usually get good/great production early and then are paying for it at the back end......

I kind of agree in the sense that it seems like you have to overpay and overextend contracts in order to land the best guys. Look at all the long term deal that are being handed out. There is no way guys are going to be performing in year 6, 7, 8 of their deals. I wish they could have incentive laden contracts. If you drive in x amount of runs or hit x amount of home runs you can an increase in pay.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with Beltran you have to factor in Gold Glove defense and base stealing.

redlegs@hokies

Trout Fishing Aficionado
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far, I'd say the Chapman deal has been successful

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be biased.......but Adrian Beltre -> Rangers?

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far, I'd say the Chapman deal has been successful

????

The thread is about free agents signing big contracts with new teams.....

There is not a lot of success stories compared to disasters in recent years......of the newer ones, I'd be shocked if Fielder turns out to be a bad signing by the Tigers.....

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be biased.......but Adrian Beltre -> Rangers?

Beltre has been a huge success in Arlington, but was he a big free agent signing?

I'm not saying he wasn't, just asking what the dollars and years were when you guys signed him? I thought he was relatively cheap at the time due to his seasons in Seattle where he pretty much sucked.......speaking of which, that free agent signing of Beltre by Seattle would qualify as a huge free agent signing that busted for them......

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beltre has been a huge success in Arlington, but was he a big free agent signing?

I'm not saying he wasn't, just asking what the dollars and years were when you guys signed him? I thought he was relatively cheap at the time due to his seasons in Seattle where he pretty much sucked.......speaking of which, that free agent signing of Beltre by Seattle would qualify as a huge free agent signing that busted for them......

Safeco is where hitters go to die.